none
Disaster recovery - restored DPM initiated System State backup to another server.

Question

• Trying to restore a system state DPM backup from one Win 2008 R2 VM to a freshly created Win 2008 R2 VM for disaster recovery. Restored the backup to a network folder, then shared that folder(New Video: A step by step on how to perform a System State restore using Data Protection Manager 2010). Tried following instructions of video using "wbadmin get versions" but only get errors: "No backups for the specified machine are present on the backup destination" (I added the -machine parameter since I got more generic errors: "No backups found in specified shared network folder" without it). I am really frustrated, since I purchased DPM to perform this kind of disaster recovery.

(PS - I posted this in the Windows Backup and Restore forum, where I think it belongs, but they seem to think it belongs here)

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 8:14 PM

Answers

• Hi,

This article cover the subject, you need to use BMR protection if you want to recover to a different machine.

249694 How to move a Windows installation to different hardware
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;249694

<snip>
    System State Recovery after a new installation of Windows Server 2008 or Windows Server 2008 R2 on new hardware or same hardware
    This kind of recovery is not supported.

Windows Server Backup does not block recovery on a newly-installed operating system. Instead, it warns that this operation is not supported. This feature is used only as a last-ditch support effort to reclaim data from a failed server and is not a supported backup feature

System State Recover is only supported on the same operating system instance. It is not supported on a reinstalled operating system on the same or different hardware.
    >snip<

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, February 23, 2012 6:17 PM

All replies

• Hi,

This article cover the subject, you need to use BMR protection if you want to recover to a different machine.

249694 How to move a Windows installation to different hardware
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;249694

<snip>
    System State Recovery after a new installation of Windows Server 2008 or Windows Server 2008 R2 on new hardware or same hardware
    This kind of recovery is not supported.

Windows Server Backup does not block recovery on a newly-installed operating system. Instead, it warns that this operation is not supported. This feature is used only as a last-ditch support effort to reclaim data from a failed server and is not a supported backup feature

System State Recover is only supported on the same operating system instance. It is not supported on a reinstalled operating system on the same or different hardware.
    >snip<

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, February 23, 2012 6:17 PM
  • Well that stinks. This was a technique suggested to me by Microsoft Premier Support when the DPM technique of backing up an entire VM and restoring it to another hyper-v host failed. So, I guess Microsoft has let me down all around and I am off to third party solutions. Thanks anyway.
    Thursday, February 23, 2012 6:53 PM
  • Hi Joseph,

Just change the DPM protection from "system state" only to BMR - that will protect your machines so that they can be fully restored as desired.

Thursday, February 23, 2012 6:56 PM
  • Hmm. Okay, I just switched to add Bare Metal Recovery in DPM. We will see what that does. Kind of funny to think of Bare Metal Recovery happening within a VM to restore to another VM, but I guess if nobody tells them they are VMs, they are much happier.
    Thursday, February 23, 2012 7:07 PM
  • I was able, with the attached DVD I used to install a fresh VM on the other Hyper-V host, to reboot and boot from the windows setup disk (ISO). I was able to get into recovery, and choose "Windows Complete PC Restore". It could not find a local system image, of course, so I chose "Restore a different backup". It brought up a screen to let me choose the location of the backup, and I chose advanced, the "Search for a backup on the network". I put in the UNC path to the restored system image, it asked for username and password, but then came back with "An internal error occurred. ... The network path was not found". If I do the same thing using an IP address instead of a Netbios name, I get the error "The network location cannot be reached" (after username and password).

Any further clues? I was getting really hopeful there for a few minutes.

Thursday, February 23, 2012 8:24 PM
  • See Shanes blog on restoring BMR here:  http://blogs.technet.com/b/dpm/archive/2010/05/12/performing-a-bare-metal-restore-with-dpm-2010.aspx

It should be step by step using a network share.

Thursday, February 23, 2012 9:03 PM
  • That was helpful, and I did use it. However, it leaves out one important warning note that I found on http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc755163.aspx. The recovery environment creates a non-domain computer which cannot access domain shares. You either have to have a computer in a workgroup and copy the backup and share from there or burn the backup to a DVD or create an ISO, which is what I am trying to do so I can attach it directly to my VM and load from there. This restore is being done remotely at an offsite.
    Thursday, February 23, 2012 9:23 PM
  • Hi,

Yes, good catch, if you are using IPSEC then yes, you would need to restore the BMR backup to a machine that is not using IPSEC or a removable disk as you did so the Winre client can access it.  I will have the blog updated to add that note.

Thanks !

Friday, February 24, 2012 1:40 AM