none
MS DTC Name resource fails to start

Question

• Hi,

I am tying to configure Windows Server 2008 failover cluster. It has two Windows Server 2008 SP2 nodes, Quorum configuration - Node and Disk Majority. I need to install SQL Cluster there and MS DTC is a prerequisite for the SQL failover Cluster.

I have successfully installed the  DTS application but it fails when tries to bring online. The drive and IP address resources are online but Name resource cannot start.

There some logs I found in C:\Windows\System32\winevt\Logs\ClusterLog.etl:

"[RHS] ERROR_MOD_NOT_FOUND(126), unable to load resource DLL mqtgclus.dll  "

"[RCM] Failed to load restype MSMQTriggers: error 126.  "

In the event viewer is only the following error:

Log name: System; Source: FailoverClustering; Event ID: 1205. The Cluster service failed to bring clustered service or application <server name> completely online or offline. One or more resources may be in a failed state. This may impact the availability of the clustered service or application.

Log name: System; Source: FailoverClustering; Event ID: 1146. The cluster resource host subsystem (RHS) stopped unexpectedly. An attempt will be made to restart it. This is usually due to a problem in a resource DLL. Please determine which resource DLL is causing the issue and report the problem to the resource vendor.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Friday, August 06, 2010 6:22 AM

Answers

• Allan, absolutely agree. MSTDC can be only installed by adding the application to the failover cluster.

I have now resolved the issue. The following helped:

1. Remove the MSDTC application from the cluster and computer account from Active Directory.

2. Prestage the MSDTC virtual name (create the computer account)

3. Configure Cluster account (CNO) with Full access rights to this account + Create computer object rights within default AD container.

For some strange reason without prestaged account it didn't work.

• Marked as answer by LenarR Thursday, August 12, 2010 4:14 PM
    Thursday, August 12, 2010 4:14 PM

All replies

• If you're planning on instaling a SQL version greater than 2000, then the MSDTC cluster installation is made by the SQL Setup.
    Friday, August 06, 2010 4:55 PM
  • Hey Lena,

Is the user running the installation a Domain Admin?  If the user cannot create the computer object name with thier own account then the Windows Software will not create it.  I had an issue when setting up a SQL 2008 cluster on Windows 2008 R2 where I was able to create the intial cluster, but then I needed a Domain Admin's help to create the MS DTC Resource and also needed thier permissions when installing the SQL Instance. 

We tried pre-staging the name in AD with the IP, and then I would run the install but it didnt' always work.

Friday, August 06, 2010 6:35 PM
  • If you're planning on instaling a SQL version greater than 2000, then the MSDTC cluster installation is made by the SQL Setup.

AVX,

I am going to install SQL Cluster 2008 SP1. Do you mean that I should NOT install Distributed Transaction Coordinator service before SQL Cluster?

Friday, August 06, 2010 8:13 PM
  • Hi Brad Ball,

The installer account have Domain Admin rights and as I can see the computer object is automatically created during the DTC installation. Domain Admin rights (or delegated) AFAIK are required to register SPNs for the SQL services. Probably the same should be created for DTC?

Another tricky thing is that the installer account does not have access to register DNS records. DNS is not Active Directory integrated so the only one way to apply name resolution was to create DNS records manually beforehand.

And one more thing that cn cause the problem is that the OS (Windows Server 2008 x64 SP2) have not been activated yet - still waiting for KMS installing. Don't you thing that the problem could be due to Notification Period limitation?

Thank you in advance

Friday, August 06, 2010 8:27 PM
  • The SQL 2008 server setup will take care of it for you.
    Monday, August 09, 2010 8:42 AM
  • 100% incorrect. A clustered SQL Server 2008 install does NOT install or configure DTC for you.

The DTC model is completely different with W2K8. You can:

1. Have one DTC per cluster in its own group
    2. Have a DTC in its own group but mapped to a SQL instance
    3. Put DTC in the SQL group, so effectively each instance can get its own.
    4. Don't cluster it at all and use a local DTC.

Allan Hirt Blog: http://www.sqlha.com/blog Author: Pro SQL Server 2008 Failover Clustering (out now!)
    Monday, August 09, 2010 3:08 PM
  • Allan, absolutely agree. MSTDC can be only installed by adding the application to the failover cluster.

1. Remove the MSDTC application from the cluster and computer account from Active Directory.

3. Configure Cluster account (CNO) with Full access rights to this account + Create computer object rights within default AD container.

• Marked as answer by LenarR Thursday, August 12, 2010 4:14 PM
    Thursday, August 12, 2010 4:14 PM

hi

can you please describe yours steps to fix this?

thanks!

Tuesday, December 07, 2010 12:48 PM
  • YOU HAVE JSUT TO DO THIS

3. Configure Cluster account (CNO) with Full access rights to this account + Create computer object rights within default AD container. AND IT,S WORK FOR ME

KAMEL

Thursday, August 15, 2013 4:55 PM
  • Still did not work and still have a ton of trouble with some new 2008 R2 Clusters and I dont think most people want to just rip out MSDTC every time this error occurs below:

The MS DTC Connection Manager is unable to register with RPC to use one of LRPC, TCP/IP, or UDP/IP. Please ensure that RPC is configured properly. If "ServerTcpPort" registry key is configured(DWORD value under the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\MSDTC for local DTC instance or under cluster hive for clustered DTC instance), please verify if the configured port is valid and the port is not already in use by a different component. Error Specifics:hr = 0x80004005, d:\w7rtm\com\complus\dtc\dtc\cm\src\iomgrsrv.cpp:2523, CmdLine: C:\Windows\system32\dllhost.exe /Processid:{02D4B3F1-FD88-11D1-960D-00805FC79235}, Pid: 17068

What a pain in the BUTT trying to get this working on a new DEV/TEST SQL Environment running 2008 R2 SP1 and we do have more than three other PROD CLusters running with no issues, but on different HP Hardware, but that should not make any difference.

Any Help would be really appreciated.

regards

CHES Employee

Tuesday, October 15, 2013 7:55 PM