none
VSS SQLWriter Fails with Non-Retryable Error

Question

• Hi,

I'm running 3rd party backup software (AppAssure) on a SQL Server of mine running SQL Server 2008 R2 64 bit. 

The backups keep failing telling me I have a VSS Writer error, specifically the SQLWriter, I have checked the machine and the SQLWriter is reporting a failed state with a Non-Retryable error. I don't want to disable it as I have read that the SQLWriter enables the 3rd party software to gather the required SQL info for backup and if I have a backup of a SQL Server with no SQL information on it then it could be pretty useless.

Is there a way that I can fix the SQLWriter and keep it enabled?

Thanks in advance.

Cody

Thursday, November 14, 2013 10:53 AM

Answers

• Cody,

I work with the AppAssure onboarding team. The SQL writer error you are experiencing is a relatively common issue with that writer, and we do have a knowledge base article available regarding that issue. TechNet will not allow me to post links, so please search the AppAssure knowledge base for 'vss sqlwriter errors' It will be the second article listed.

As you will notice there is a Microsoft hotfix for that VSS writer. I'd apply that and if the issue is not resolved, try Option 2 in the article.

If you find this does not help, I suggest opening a case with our support department so an engineer can help you determine the root cause.

Thursday, November 14, 2013 3:00 PM

All replies