none
Interface Issues - tabs being resorted

Question

• I'm having some issues with the PowerPivot Window that only started after moving up to Excel 2013. The most annoying of which is that Tabs don't stay where I put them.  Every time I refresh data, or open the PowerPivot window for the first time, the tabs all automatically sort to the orde they were created in, not the order I have placed them in - is there some setting forcing this?

Tuesday, March 11, 2014 1:37 PM

Answers

• ... well it is happening when I have a model consisting of two tables imported via an external Excel Workbook, AND when I have a model consisting of two tables created via PowerQuery...

Hi Eric,

I could also repro this issue. When we refresh PowerPivot tables or save the PowerPivot data model, all of tables automatic rearrange with a default order. It might be a known issue.

I would recommend you submit a wish to the Microsoft Connect at https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/Feedback. Your feedback is valuable for us to improve our products and increase the level of service provided.

We appreciate for your understanding.

Regards,

Elvis Long
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, March 21, 2014 1:47 AM

All replies

• Hi Eric,

Could you please elaborate your issue with more detail that "The most annoying of which is that Tabs don't stay where I put them"? If possible, please share some screenshots and steps to reproduce this issue.

Regards,

Elvis Long

Wednesday, March 19, 2014 3:27 AM
  • It's fairly straightforward: Let's say I have three tabs, A, B, and C, and they originally appear in the order A, B, C (which is the order of creation).  I drag B so that it is after C.  As soon as I do a refresh of the tables, or open and close the workbook, the tabs reappear in order A, B, C.

Previously, in PP 2010, tabs worked like they do in a regular excel workbook - they stayed in the customs order I placed them in. 

Wednesday, March 19, 2014 6:07 PM
  • Hello,

Thanks for your information. I tried to repro this issue on my test environment but failed, maybe I missed something.

Have you try to adjust the column order in table properties windows? Please refer to the following steps:

1. In the PowerPivot windows, switch to "Design Tab".
    2. Click "Table Properties" button to open the dialog, and adjust the column order what you want.

Regards,

Elvis Long

Thursday, March 20, 2014 1:37 AM
  • There is no issue with the re-ordering of the columns, this is to do with the ordering of the tabs/tables.

I have done some experimentation, and I have not been able to replicate this when creating a new powerpivot model in Excel 2013.  I think that all the models I have which are exhibiting this behaviour are all models I upgraded from Excel 2010  (which are all the models I work with).

Here's some captures of the behaviour

Thursday, March 20, 2014 5:26 PM
  • OK, I have just replicated this in a new workbook.  Imported five tables via PowerQuery and one from an external Excel Workbook.  Almost all my models have connections to external Excel workbooks, so let me try one more experiment to see if that is the common factor here.
    Thursday, March 20, 2014 6:24 PM
  • ... well it is happening when I have a model consisting of two tables imported via an external Excel Workbook, AND when I have a model consisting of two tables created via PowerQuery...

Thursday, March 20, 2014 6:43 PM

Hi Eric,

I could also repro this issue. When we refresh PowerPivot tables or save the PowerPivot data model, all of tables automatic rearrange with a default order. It might be a known issue.

I would recommend you submit a wish to the Microsoft Connect at https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/Feedback. Your feedback is valuable for us to improve our products and increase the level of service provided.

We appreciate for your understanding.

Regards,

Elvis Long

Friday, March 21, 2014 1:47 AM