none
No reverse lookup zones for new scopes

Question

• Hi, I had Windows 2003 As domain controller with DHCP. There was only one cope in DHCP.
    Then I added new domain controlled on 2008 R2. After successful replication I moved all roles to new Domain Controller. Then I exported DHCP database on old Domain Controller and disabled the old DHCP, installed DHCP service on new DC and imported database. Everything was fine. Next I created few new scopes on new DHCP but I discovered that there are no reverse lookup zones for new scopes.

Should I create the zones manually or should the zones be created automatically during scope creation?

Thursday, September 19, 2013 8:08 PM

Answers

• Hi,

The Active Directory Installation wizard does not automatically add a reverse lookup zone and PTR resource records, because it is possible that another server, such as the parent server, controls the reverse lookup zone. We might want to add a reverse lookup zone to our server if no other server controls the reverse lookup zone for the hosts listed in your forward lookup zone.

To add a reverse lookup zone

1. In Control Panel, double-click Administrative Tools and then double-click DNS.  
        2. Optionally, if the server to which you want to add a reverse lookup zone does not appear in the list, right-click DNS, click Connect to Computer, and then follow the instructions to add the desired server.  
        3. To display the zones, click the server name.  
        4. Right-click the Reverse Lookup Zones folder, and click New Zone. A zone configuration wizard appears.

Regarding adding a Reverse Lookup Zone, the following article may be referred to for more information.

Adding a Reverse Lookup Zone

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc961414.aspx

Best regards,

Frank Shen

• Marked as answer by kcerb Friday, September 20, 2013 2:43 PM
    Friday, September 20, 2013 9:03 AM