none
Problems during coexistence test

Question

• We've got Exchange 2003 right now and I needed to test the switch from E2003 client endpoint to E2010. 

Our current setup is such that mail.company.com resolves internally to our E2003 bridgehead mailbox server and webmail.company.com resolves to our E2003 FE servers. I'm going to use webmail.company.com as our "legacy" URL and mail.company.com will resolve to the E2010 CAS server. I made the DNS change this weekend did some tests. 

I'm able to send to/from the Internet and to/from E2003/E2010. I verified the public folder access was working. However, a few of the ExRCA tests failed and my ActiveSync account wouldn't connect. Here's what the failed tests said:

ExRCA is testing Exchange ActiveSync.
    The Exchange ActiveSync test failed.

Test Steps

Attempting the Autodiscover and Exchange ActiveSync test (if requested). Testing of Autodiscover for Exchange ActiveSync failed.

Test Steps

Attempting each method of contacting the Autodiscover service.
    The Autodiscover service couldn't be contacted successfully by any method.

Test Steps

Attempting to test potential Autodiscover URL https://company.com/AutoDiscover/AutoDiscover.xml
    Testing of this potential Autodiscover URL failed.

Test Steps
    Attempting to test potential Autodiscover URL https://autodiscover.company.com/AutoDiscover/AutoDiscover.xml
    Testing of this potential Autodiscover URL failed.

Test Steps
    Attempting to contact the Autodiscover service using the HTTP redirect method.
    The attempt to contact Autodiscover using the HTTP Redirect method failed.

Test Steps
    Attempting to contact the Autodiscover service using the DNS SRV redirect method.
    ExRCA failed to contact the Autodiscover service using the DNS SRV redirect method.

Test Steps

Attempting to locate SRV record _autodiscover._tcp.company.com in DNS. The Autodiscover SRV record wasn't found in DNS.
    Exchange Web Services synchronization, notification, availability, and Automatic Replies (OOF).
    Not all of the tests of Exchange Web Services tasks completed.

Test Steps

Ensuring that the test mailbox folder is empty and accessible.
    ExRCA couldn't confirm that the folder is accessible and empty.

Additional Details
    Exception details:
    Message: The request failed. Unable to connect to the remote server
    Type: Microsoft.Exchange.WebServices.Data.ServiceRequestException
    Stack trace:
    at Microsoft.Exchange.WebServices.Data.ServiceRequestBase.BuildEwsHttpWebRequest()
    at Microsoft.Exchange.WebServices.Data.MultiResponseServiceRequest`1.Execute()
    at Microsoft.Exchange.WebServices.Data.ExchangeService.BindToFolder[TFolder](FolderId folderId, PropertySet propertySet)
    at Microsoft.Exchange.Tools.ExRca.Tests.EnsureEmptyFolderTest.PerformTestReally()

Exception details:
    Type: System.Net.WebException
    Stack trace:
    at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.EndGetRequestStream(IAsyncResult asyncResult, TransportContext& context)
    at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.EndGetRequestStream(IAsyncResult asyncResult)
    at Microsoft.Exchange.WebServices.Data.ServiceRequestBase.TraceAndEmitRequest(IEwsHttpWebRequest request, Boolean needSignature, Boolean needTrace)
    at Microsoft.Exchange.WebServices.Data.ServiceRequestBase.BuildEwsHttpWebRequest()
    Exception details:
    Message: A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond externalIPAddress:443
    Type: System.Net.Sockets.SocketException
    Stack trace:
    at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.EndConnect(IAsyncResult asyncResult)
    at System.Net.ServicePoint.ConnectSocketInternal(Boolean connectFailure, Socket s4, Socket s6, Socket& socket, IPAddress& address, ConnectSocketState state, IAsyncResult asyncResult, Int32 timeout, Exception& exception)
    Performing Outbound SMTP Test
    An unexpected error has occurred in the application. An event has been logged for the system administrator. If you continue to experience this error, please send us feedback.

Additional Details
    Exception details:
    Message: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
    Type: System.NullReferenceException
    Stack trace:

Server stack trace:
    at Microsoft.Exchange.Tools.ExRca.Tests.Smtp.Outbound.ReverseDNSTest.PerformTestReally()
    at Microsoft.Exchange.Tools.ExRca.Tests.Test.PerformTest()
    at Microsoft.Exchange.Tools.ExRca.Tests.Test.PerformChildren()
    at Microsoft.Exchange.Tools.ExRca.Tests.Test.PerformTest()
    at System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.StackBuilderSink._PrivateProcessMessage(IntPtr md, Object[] args, Object server, Int32 methodPtr, Boolean fExecuteInContext, Object[]& outArgs)
    at System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.StackBuilderSink.PrivateProcessMessage(RuntimeMethodHandle md, Object[] args, Object server, Int32 methodPtr, Boolean fExecuteInContext, Object[]& outArgs)
    at System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.StackBuilderSink.AsyncProcessMessage(IMessage msg, IMessageSink replySink)

Exception rethrown at [0]:
    at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.EndInvokeHelper(Message reqMsg, Boolean bProxyCase)
    at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RemotingProxy.Invoke(Object NotUsed, MessageData& msgData)
    at Microsoft.Exchange.Tools.ExRca.Website.PerformTestAsyncDelegate.EndInvoke(IAsyncResult result)
    at Microsoft.Exchange.Tools.ExRca.Website.TestExecutionManager.TestCompleted(IAsyncResult asyncResult)

One other thing that appears incorrect is that I can't see the E2010 test account's free/busy info from E2003, but it works the other way around.

I'm not sure what I missed in the CAS server setup. How do I use these results? Thanks.

• Edited by mhashemi Monday, February 13, 2012 9:24 PM
    Sunday, February 12, 2012 10:41 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

Have you read through these articles for coexistence?

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee332309.aspx
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa998186.aspx
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee332348.aspx
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb310763.aspx

Jonas Andersson | Microsoft Community Contributor Award 2011 | MCITP: EMA 2007/2010 | Blog: http://www.testlabs.se/blog | Follow me on twitter: jonand82

Monday, February 13, 2012 12:46 PM
  • I have seen those. This is what I've got:

• 332309: All server roles are installed. This checklist led me to article 232715, and then to article 738161. One of the steps to moving mailflow from 2003 to 2010 is to remove the SMTP connector from the 2003 server. I didn't do that so I wonder if it could play a part in the test failures or the ActiveSync failure. As noted, mail to and from the Internet worked fine.
    • 998186: I don't see anything here that I haven't done. 
    • 332348: As noted above, the legacy URL is already in place since we're just using our existing "webmail" URL. The cert is in place with all the appropriate host names. Looks like I'd forgotten to enable Integrated auth after installing the hotfix. I guess that'll fix my issue with connecting ActiveSync
    • 310763: I don't think the external URL for ECP was set, so I fixed that. Authentication of the default website directories is configured as described in the article.

These are great articles, but as far as I can tell, none of them lead me to see what caused the ExRCA failures. Here is the command and output that make me thing the Autodiscover URL is set correctly:

get-webservicesvirtualdirectory | FL ExternalURL

ExternalUrl : https://mail.company.com/EWS/Exchange.asmx
    Monday, February 13, 2012 9:31 PM
  • I should add that I don't see the Autodiscover SCP in AD Sites and Services. 
    Monday, February 13, 2012 10:06 PM
  •  

Hello,

I would like to further confirm your question. Since not all of the Mobile use the autodiscover feature, do you want to first troubleshoot the ActiveSync issue or External autodiscover issue?

For ActiveSync issue, you may need to do an ActiveSync connection test from the remote connectivity Analyzer site.

For the Autodiscover issue, you must make sure the “Autodiscover.domain.com” can be resolved from Internet and the host name must be included in the certificate.

Thanks,

Simon

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 7:37 AM
  • Hello,

Is there any update on this thread?

Thanks,
    Simon

Sunday, February 19, 2012 5:23 PM
  • My external DNS wasn't correctly pointed to my Internet-facing CAS. That caused the autodiscover to fail. 
    Tuesday, February 21, 2012 8:41 PM