none
Newly imaged machines still show up as an Unknown Computer

Question

• Here is the problem I am having, Every computer I have imaged recently shows up as an Unknown Computer under Assets and Compliance all Systems.

Here is how the environment looks.

1) SCCM 2012 SP1

2) Unknown Computer Support is enabled

3) OSDcomputernName variable is assigned to All Unknown Computers

4) Task Sequence is made avaliable

5) SCCM Client is installed on the machine via Task Sequence when new machine is imaged

5) Machine joins the domain and the name decalred during the Task Sequence is assigned to the machine

The issue now is why do I see it as Unknown Computer in SCCM 2012? It was working until all of a sudden. Thanks in advance everyone.

Monday, August 05, 2013 1:51 PM

All replies

• Is the client registering with the site?  Check ClientIDManagerStartup.log on the client.  If not, is your site published to AD?  Check to see if you have automatic site assignment turned on in the properties of the Boundary Group.

And what do you mean in #3?
    • Edited by Mike H Leach Monday, August 05, 2013 2:08 PM check logs
    Monday, August 05, 2013 2:05 PM
  • Check to see if you have automatic site assignment turned on in the properties of the Boundary Group.

Mavtech: no every problem is caused by boundaries ;-) Automatic site assignment is not involved at all when doing OSD. Clients will simply be assigned to the site where either PXE boot was initiated from or the boot / offline media was created. The only exception is using dynamic media. OSD also works without having any boudary/groups set up (exception: dynamic media).

Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

Monday, August 05, 2013 2:12 PM
  • In order for SCCM 2012 to not give the computer a generic computer name you need to setup the variable. The variable needs to be set for the computer name to be set during OSD. Everything looks good in Active Directory. I am testing two different SCCM 2012 versions. The primary sites are different but pointing to the same boundary, could this be the issue?
    Monday, August 05, 2013 2:13 PM
  • Check to see if you have automatic site assignment turned on in the properties of the Boundary Group.

Mavtech: no every problem is caused by boundaries ;-) Automatic site assignment is not involved at all when doing OSD. Clients will simply be assigned to the site where either PXE boot was initiated from or the boot / offline media was created. The only exception is using dynamic media. OSD also works without having any boudary/groups set up (exception: dynamic media).

Haha.  True that it doesn't fix everything.  But, in my experience, boundaries are the #1 cause for issues with newer admins.  So, I always make sure to go there first. 
    Monday, August 05, 2013 2:28 PM
  • Where do I go to check if the automatic site assignment is turned on?

I go to my boundary group and select properties, Site Assignment is checked and set for my default site. Site Sytem servers: thats pointing to my primary site server. Under the General tab, Boundaries broup is pointing to the boundary.

Example.  NY Boundary is pointing to NY Boundary Group.

Monday, August 05, 2013 3:16 PM
  • Can someone please tell me where I can check this in SCCM 2012?

Check to see if you have automatic site assignment turned on in the properties of the Boundary Group.

Tuesday, August 06, 2013 1:06 PM
  • I go to my boundary group and select properties, Site Assignment is checked and set for my default site.

You already checked that.

Tuesday, August 06, 2013 1:18 PM
  • I think I am getting confused here now.

Here is how my layout looks.

1) I have 6 boundaries for all of our sites that we currently have

2) Each Boundary group looks like this for example. NY Boundary Group, NJ Boundary Group, CT Boundary Group, FL Boundary Group

3) No CAS in my environment only one Primary site names PR1

4) Under the General Tab -> I see the name -> The associated Boundaries with that boundary group.

Reference Tab -> Site Assignment is CHECKED and Assigned Site is PR1. Site System server is my Primary site server.

QUESTION, Should all the other sites the DP's be pointing to the Site System Servers? or the local DP server under the Site System Servers?

Tuesday, August 06, 2013 1:24 PM
  • I have resolved this issue.

The clients were in Provision Mode and needed to be taken out of Provision Mode.

Tuesday, August 06, 2013 8:57 PM