none
Server 2012 foundation license check

Question

• In foundation the max is 15 users. We haven't 15 users or 15 computers. The max we have is 5 users and 5 computers. Can it be a user or program can take more than 1 serverlicense ? Or is there a way to see how many licenses are in use in Foundation?

The server gives pop-ups as if there to many users. When the 5 pc's are off there are no pop-ups on the server.

Thanks,

Marty

Tuesday, September 24, 2013 8:07 AM

Answers

• Hi,

In the Windows Server 2012 Foundation operating system, the server must be a member of a workgroup or, if joined to a domain, joined at the root of the forest as a domain controller. You will receive a warning message if the server is not joined to an Active Directory domain at the root of the forest. If you do not correct this, you will receive notifications advising you of the violation of the terms of the license agreement.

The Windows Server 2012 Foundation operating system includes certain licensing limits that affect certain aspects of Active Directory configuration, such as the number of users and trusts. If your configuration is not compliant with these limits, you may receive one or more error messages about checking for licensing compliance.

For more limits in the Windows Server 2012 Foundation operating system, please refer to this article:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj679892.aspx

This error usually happens when the server cannot connect to a domain controller. You can safely close this message, but you should confirm the connection between the server and a domain controller. The server will not shut down as a result of this issue. If the message does not recur within two hours, the problem is resolved.

To solve the server can’t connect to a DC, please follow these steps:

Check for Licensing Compliance in Incomplete:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/192be2cc-177f-4b71-86be-93e440741186/check-for-licensing-compliance-in-incomplete

I hope this helps.

Thursday, September 26, 2013 4:29 AM

All replies

• Hi Marty,  

Thanks for your posting.

Windows server 2012 Foundation edition is for small businesses with up to 15 users running on single processor servers, Which is enough for your use.

To get more effective support about CALs, I recommend you to connect the Volume Licensing.

I hope this helps.

Wednesday, September 25, 2013 10:15 AM
  • Hi AnnaWY,

The problem is that i get errors, pop ups. This is one of them "The server did not finish checking the license compliance. If the server is joined to a domain, make sure that the server can connect to a domain controller." It can have more reasons and one of the reasons is that there are more licenses used then 15. Strange thing is that on sunday (nobody at the office) there is no error. So i think it has to do with the number of licenses used.

But how can i see how many licenses are in use ? I can see how many users there are and that is 5 or less. I think the Foundation license max on this server is set to 1. If 2 persons are using the server it is to much. I can't say how many users because the error doesn't come immediately.

The server is the only server.

Thanks for your help.

Marty

Wednesday, September 25, 2013 12:22 PM
  • Hi,

In the Windows Server 2012 Foundation operating system, the server must be a member of a workgroup or, if joined to a domain, joined at the root of the forest as a domain controller. You will receive a warning message if the server is not joined to an Active Directory domain at the root of the forest. If you do not correct this, you will receive notifications advising you of the violation of the terms of the license agreement.

The Windows Server 2012 Foundation operating system includes certain licensing limits that affect certain aspects of Active Directory configuration, such as the number of users and trusts. If your configuration is not compliant with these limits, you may receive one or more error messages about checking for licensing compliance.

For more limits in the Windows Server 2012 Foundation operating system, please refer to this article:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj679892.aspx

This error usually happens when the server cannot connect to a domain controller. You can safely close this message, but you should confirm the connection between the server and a domain controller. The server will not shut down as a result of this issue. If the message does not recur within two hours, the problem is resolved.

To solve the server can’t connect to a DC, please follow these steps:

Check for Licensing Compliance in Incomplete:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/192be2cc-177f-4b71-86be-93e440741186/check-for-licensing-compliance-in-incomplete

I hope this helps.

Thursday, September 26, 2013 4:29 AM
  • Thanks AnnaWY,

I know these sites and tried a lot of things written on it. It is a standalone server with active directory, root domain, 5 workstations, dns is correct etc etc. I can't find a failure. There is no error in the event viewer which points to the pop-ups.

Is there a way to see how many licenses are used ? On sunday there are no errors so i think it has to do with licenses, but 5 users using 15 licenses ? I don't think so.

Marty

Friday, September 27, 2013 1:33 PM
  • Hi Marty,

I think the same with you.

Because you can use Windows Server 2012 Foundation in either Active Directory® or workgroup environments to create up to 15 user accounts that can access and use the server software. Each user account permits one user, using any device, to access and use your server software with no client access licenses (CALs) required. And the number of users to access the server 2012 is meet the limit of Windows Server 2012 Foundation.

If you still want to confirm if the number of users had exceeded the limit, you can make a test with deleting the user account (make sure you can recreate the user account) to check if the message can still pop-up.

To delete a user account, please refer to this article:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=150361

As you said, the Windows Server 2012 work in the root domain as a DC and the DNS work normally now. If the server will not shut down as a result of this issue and the message does not recur, the problem is resolved and you can ignore this issue.

I hope this helps.

Friday, October 04, 2013 2:11 AM
  • Thanks AnnaWY,

I did the settings as i said, dns and settting at the networkcard and some others. After a week the errors were gone. So it took a week and now the server is working without the pop-ups. Is it possible that some settings take a week before they work ? The server had the problems for months, i think 4 or 5 months. I did the changes and then one week later the errors are gone.

After i did the changes i restarted the server. Then it took one week. Doesn't make sense to me.

I don't do your trick with the user account because it is working fine now, but thanks.

Marty

Friday, October 11, 2013 6:17 AM
  • Now, today the problem is back. From october 11 till today the error was gone. Today the error is back. Nothing changed on the network.

The error is: "The server did not finish checking the license compliance. If the server is joined to a domain, make sure that the server can connect to a domain controller."

Please help,

Marty

• Edited by marty50 Monday, November 04, 2013 9:04 AM
    Monday, November 04, 2013 9:00 AM
  • It looks like the error comes back when someone uses Teamviewer to get on the server.
    Monday, November 25, 2013 9:23 AM
  • Marty,

Did you ever get to the bottom of this issue?

I recently installed a HP Microserver with 2012 Foundation and received this message a couple of times on the migration day. I have since switched the old server off so am hoping that the message will stay away but reading your posts I am a little concerned...

Wednesday, December 04, 2013 2:42 PM
  • Hi Pete,

Since we don't use Teamviewer anymore the error stays away.

Greetings,

Marty

Thursday, December 05, 2013 1:27 PM
  • It went wrong again, but someone used Teamviewer this week. It must definitely be Teamviewer which causes the errors. But why? I don't know.

Marty

Sunday, December 08, 2013 12:14 PM
  • We are having the same issue on a new dell system.  We contacted Microsoft but they wouldn't help us. Dell suggested re-installing the os.  However even after installing, we are still having issues.  The server is a domain controller and functions as a printer server, file share and domain/ad.  There are only 13 users on the server and 14 computers so well under the licensing fees.   

We have checked and triple check.  Dell, since this is an OEM product, will not help any further.  We do not have team viewer installed.

The errors were very random for a few months and we would just reboot the server to clear the errors.  By random I mean the time would range from 2 days to 35.  Now it is every day and half.  We have not been able to find any resolution to this and hoping someone that has a resolution will see this. 

Friday, December 27, 2013 6:49 PM
  • Dell is helping me now. We just started the session so there are no solutions yet. Just one quick question, did you disable tcp/ip v6 ?
    Saturday, December 28, 2013 3:41 PM
  • No.  We are not having any ip conflicts, dns or dhcp issues so wouldn't of tried that.  Also nothing pop ups in the logs as being wrong. We have run sfc and chkdsk both with no errors. We have run 3rd party tools to check our ad user count and we are under the 15 user limit. This issue is not well documented yet and this is the first forum I have found that anyone is having the same issue.

Also we believe that it is some type of bug within the os, since if it were a true licensing issue, after restarting the server to flush it, it would be every 10 days, not every other day as it is happening now.  This just started a few weeks ago.  Before that, it was completely random, we would even go months in-between the error.

Monday, December 30, 2013 3:41 PM
  • Just wondering how your discussion with Dell went.   I did disable IPv6 on Monday, today is Friday, and we have yet to hear a peep out of the licensing error. 

I hope the fix was something as simple as that.  We are trying to avoid having to do a clean install.

Friday, January 03, 2014 4:57 PM
  • Don't disable IPv6.http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/network/cc987595.aspx 
    It was on our server disabled and i wanted to know if that had something to do with it. It has nothing to do with it.

Tuesday, January 07, 2014 8:32 AM
  • Actually disabling it on our server seems to have resolved it. Its been over a week and we have yet to a new licensing error.
    Wednesday, January 08, 2014 5:05 PM
  • Well...I take it back.  after 42 days it returned.    Any progress from Dell?
    Wednesday, February 05, 2014 9:49 PM
  • Dell is helping great, but i couldn't go further with the problem the last weeks. The problem is still there. I have to exclude folders from scanning by the virusscanner. Like is written on this page excludes

Don't disable IPv6. It's not a good idea.

Monday, February 10, 2014 5:13 PM
  • Last update. I disabled many folders and files. But now a few weeks later the error came back. I still think it's a bug in Foundation Server.
    Thursday, March 06, 2014 1:33 PM
  • We are thinking the same thing.  We setup an email alert on the warning and just reboot it after hours.  it resets the counter.  However it is back to being completely random again.   We are avoiding having to do a fresh install, or worse, eating a server 2012 essentials license, plus all the downtime to set them backup.
    Friday, March 07, 2014 6:58 PM