none
Problem in Navigation under Look and Fell in Sharepoint 2010

Question

•  HI All,

I have SharePoint  2010 publishing feature turned on in my share point site.I am trying to modify the left navigation in site.But When i try to open Navigation under Look & Feel under  Site settings , it's throwing unexpected error . Please i need a help as soon as possible 

Thanks

ghimire

Sunday, December 22, 2013 1:33 AM

All replies

• Has this error generated a GUID error?  If so, can you retrieve it and advise of the error posted to it?  This will enable us to assist you more.

Can you also advise of any changes, configurations or patches that you may have applied recently?

This link has a few suggestions that might be worth running through.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/sharepoint/en-US/88b1d2f0-7113-4d25-acfe-2013e9a117b2/error-in-navigation-under-look-and-feel-in-site-settings?forum=sharepointdevelopmentlegacy

Steven Andrews
    SharePoint Business Analyst: LiveNation Entertainment
    Blog: baron72.wordpress.com
    Twitter: Follow @backpackerd00d
    My Wiki Articles: CodePlex Corner Series
    Please remember to mark your question as "answered" if this solves (or helps) your problem.

Sunday, December 22, 2013 2:14 AM
    Answerer
  • Are you running SP 2010 or SP 2013 as your question is in SP 2013 section and you are talking about SP 2010. If it is SP2010 check the following.

http://sharepoint.stackexchange.com/questions/53704/sharepoint-2010-navigation-error-an-unexpected-error-occured-while-manipulating

Amit

Sunday, December 22, 2013 2:17 AM
  • The error looks like this;

since i am not the farm administrator 

there was no option for me to make any changes on Web.Config  OR Check ULS Logs 

The site was working fine , somebody changed the Master page it was using to something , once we took back to the original settings it started throwing this Exception.

I am pretty much sure , it's not any service pack or patches specific issues , since the another site under the same site collection is working perfectly with same set of features activated.

I Already checked the  above link but this is something different 

Sunday, December 22, 2013 7:38 AM
  • Amit 

I am running Sp 2010 , i don't know how this is moved to SP 2013 section.

As the Another site Configured under the same site collection (With exactly same set of features activated ) the Navigation is Working perfectly fine .

I Couldn't think of this CU just affecting one site and leaving behind another side.

Thanks

ghimire

Sunday, December 22, 2013 7:47 AM
  • Fair enough. When you get the error like you have posted above, as Steven mentioned, can you please go to your ULS logs and find the correlationID in the log files. You will copy the CorrelationID from your error message and then search against ULS Logs. This will give you detailed error message which in turn might be helpful to figure out the issue. 

You may also want to check ULS Viewer if you are not using one already.

http://sharepointlogviewer.codeplex.com/

Amit

Sunday, December 22, 2013 12:04 PM
  • To Check ULS logs OR to run ULS Viewer You need to have FARM Administrator rights , correct ?

I am only having Site Collection Admin Access, is that i can do something about it with this access ?

Getting this Erro with OOB  is really surprising 

Thanks

ghimire

Sunday, December 22, 2013 3:58 PM
  • No, you will need to get your Farm Admin involved to get those logs.

It is unusual to see this in an OOB site, is it possible that only one of the two master pages was re-set to the original? Also are you sure that there wasn't a custom navigation object added? That might still be in place causing problems.

Do you get errors opening any other pages?
    Sunday, December 22, 2013 4:09 PM
  • We reset the Site with the original master page (Which is custom master page) , everything came back to normal but checking the Navigation to add some left navigational links start throwing this error.

There is a custom navigation Which is pulling  information from list to make links in the left side of the page 

but this Navigation under look and Feel is OOB and has No Dependency with others , right ?

I checked other site page having same feature Activated and its not giving me any Error (Which is using same master page and same set of features ) 

Thanks

ghimire

Sunday, December 22, 2013 4:56 PM
  • If you've got a custom navigation provider and you're getting errors when you try to modify the navigation settings it's a fairly good bet that the two are related.

You'll need to check the logs to be sure as to the cause but i'd put that at the top of your list.

Sunday, December 22, 2013 7:01 PM
  • As i see the Custom Navigation, it has a list once you fill up that list with name and URL it will bring that to the left side of the page and makes links .

i am assuming they are using some Web parts to hold those links on the left  side of the page .

My biggest Concern is What happened to the Reference the Navigation was making before ?

How Come these can be related ?We Will take help from Farm Admin guys and see what the ULS Logs says , we will take next step afterwards 
    Thanks

ghimire

• Edited by Mghimire Monday, December 23, 2013 1:51 AM
    Monday, December 23, 2013 1:42 AM