none
MDT Capture remove all updates?

Question

• Hello,

I hope you can help me with this.

I made an installation of windows 7 on one of out laptop and all application we are using (Office, Lotus,  SAP etc'), I installed all updates from our WSUS server and made a capture. When I deploy the WIM I see that all updates are not installed and the updtes are being downloded all over again after GPO take place.

Is that normal? why the updates are being wiped out?

thanks

Thursday, October 03, 2013 2:50 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Since you are talking about a separate 'own' WSUS server. I would suggest you run the Microsoft Security Baseline Analyzer against the Microsoft Windows Update Server from the internet.

Then you will know for sure if updates are installed or missing. Because I can imagine that any new deployed machine, is going to talk with your WSUS server. And somehow there is something wrong in the configuration / approval of updates and computers on the WSUS server.

Keep us posted and good luck!

If this post is helpful please click "Mark for answer", thanks! Kind regards

Thursday, October 03, 2013 7:48 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

Maybe I need to clear my question.

The scenario is this:

I install windows + apps + updates (i check programs and featurs, and i see that more then 100 updates are installed), then i capture the laptop to WIM file.

then i deploy that WIM on another computer and i see that no updates are installed.

anyone know why is this happening?

thanks

Sunday, October 06, 2013 8:03 AM
  • how are you capturing ? mdt or wds?

wds is the easiest and simplest way to capture.

Arnav Sharma | Facebook | Twitter Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Monday, October 07, 2013 4:59 AM
  • Just because you ran WSUS, does *not* mean that the updates are *installed*, sometimes you need to reboot the machine in order for the updates to "take".

MDT will check against the WSUS server, install the updates *and* repeat until there are no updates reported.

Are you using MDT?

Keith Garner - keithga.wordpress.com

Monday, October 07, 2013 4:22 PM
  • yes, I'm using MDT

for capturing i made a task sequence "sysprep and capture"

then i log into the reference computer and do the following:

net use * [MDT share] /user:[domain\AdminUser]

then im running the capture script: [MDT Share]\scripts\litetouch.wsf

and then it takes the capture

Maybe there is a step at the task sequence that i'm not aware of that clean the updates?

Monday, October 14, 2013 8:44 AM
  • You are using MDT to perform the capture only, you are not using MDT to perform the Windows Update. It is your responsibility then to ensure that the updates are installed correctly. Check the c:\windows\WindowsUpdate.log file to ensure it works.

MDT also has a full Deploy + Capture Task sequence (client) that will install the OS, update using Windows Update, install any applications, and then sysprep and capture in a single task sequence.  This is typically the more common way to create custom base images using MDT.

Monday, October 14, 2013 5:43 PM
  • Hi Keith,

I appreciate your help.

Maybe you have a link you can give me that talk about: "MDT also has a full Deploy + Capture Task sequence (client) that will install the OS, update using Windows Update, install any applications, and then sysprep and capture in a single task sequence"

when i was reading about how to capture OS using MDT i saw that running the script (litetouch.wsf) from the reference computer is the right way of doing it.

Thansk again for your help

Tuesday, October 15, 2013 8:53 AM
  • Just a thought, Why don't you try capturing via WDS? I have never seen anything left (updates, app etc) while capturing via WDS.

Arnav Sharma | Facebook | Twitter Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Tuesday, October 15, 2013 9:22 AM
  • I never recommend capturing with WDS.

If you already have a MDT infrastructure, then use MDT for the capture.

Wednesday, October 16, 2013 12:50 AM