none
File Server Drive: running check disk

Question

• Hello,

I am getting an alert:

"The file system structure on the disk is corrupt and unusable.Please run the chkdsk utility on the volume XXXXX."

The drive is 1.95 TB and running checkdsk took the last time tried it took 2 weeks ... (with Microsoft Engineer confirming it was expected!) so I am trying to find another way to proceed as I don't have a maintenance window of 2 weeks anyway.

It is on a Cluster File Server two nodes with drives active on both nodes.

Any idea(s) are welcome,

Thanks,
    Dom

System Center Operations Manager 2007 / System Center Configuration Manager 2007 R2 / Forefront Client Security / Forefront Identity Manager

• Edited by Felyjos Friday, April 11, 2014 6:11 PM
    Friday, April 11, 2014 6:10 PM

Answers

• yes the corruption carries, lets take an example if the user saves the data on the bad sector or corrupted sector it will start saving there until and unless if you run the chkdsk the data is not moved so its better you start restoring the data on some other drive and stop users saving the data on the old drive.

mean while after restoring on the new drive start the chkdsk on the old drive only and after users are satisfied as some times after running the chkdsk the data gets corrupted.

http://www.arabitpro.com

• Marked as answer by Felyjos Wednesday, April 23, 2014 5:54 PM
    Friday, April 11, 2014 8:11 PM

All replies

• its better you take the backups and restore it om some other drive and always keep the backup there is a bright chance that you will loose you data. I have experienced the same issue in my past.

Friday, April 11, 2014 7:58 PM
  • Hi Syed,

Backup: Okay

Restore on another drive: Does the corruption get carried to the new drive?

What could be lost? the corrupted data? the full drive?

Disable the origin drive

rename the new drive with the origin drive letter.

Thanks,

Dom

System Center Operations Manager 2007 / System Center Configuration Manager 2007 R2 / Forefront Client Security / Forefront Identity Manager

• Edited by Felyjos Friday, April 11, 2014 8:07 PM
    Friday, April 11, 2014 8:06 PM
  • yes the corruption carries, lets take an example if the user saves the data on the bad sector or corrupted sector it will start saving there until and unless if you run the chkdsk the data is not moved so its better you start restoring the data on some other drive and stop users saving the data on the old drive.

mean while after restoring on the new drive start the chkdsk on the old drive only and after users are satisfied as some times after running the chkdsk the data gets corrupted.

• Marked as answer by Felyjos Wednesday, April 23, 2014 5:54 PM
    Friday, April 11, 2014 8:11 PM
  • If there is anything further please just let us know. 

If you have any feedback on our support, please send to tnfsl@microsoft.com.

Monday, April 14, 2014 8:32 AM