none
Computers Not Receiving WSUS Updates

Question

• I'm new to WSUS and I'm encountering a few problems.  My workstations are not receiving WSUS updates.  I have a domain policy setup so that the workstations should be receiving automatic updates at a scheduled time every day, but the updates are not occurring. 

Question #1)  I recently had to uninstall and re-install WSUS Server because I was receiving a SQL database error every time that I tried to import new WSUS packages.    I was able to get rid of that problem, but do I need to delete my WSUS workstation domain policy and recreate it, since I uninstalled/re-installed WSUS?

I've successfully uploaded new WSUS packages to my WSUS Server (it's on a disconnected network), using the "wsusutil.exe import <.cab filename> <logfile name>" command.  My domain controller (which is running WSUS) automatically received the WSUS updates, but the 10 computers on my disconnected network did not receive the updates. 

Question #2)  My domain controller is listed in the WSUS Admin Console, but none of my workstations are listed.  Is that normal?  Should I be able to see all of the workstations from the Admin Console?  I don't know if this is the reason my workstations are not receiving the WSUS updates.

Question #3)  In addition, when I check for updates from the workstations, I'm receiving the following error --   

"Code 80072EFD Windows Update encountered an unknown error."

Does anyone have a recommended fix action for this?  I'm guessing this error is the main cause of my problems.

Thank you in advance. 

James Hutchinson

• Edited by jhutch03 Monday, October 28, 2013 4:07 PM
    Monday, October 28, 2013 4:03 PM

Answers

• I think I may have figured out what I did wrong.  I uninstalled and re-installed WSUS (again).  This time, I didn't use the "recommended" port 80 for IIS, I used port 8530.  I think this is why I couldn't see any of my computers in the WSUS Admin Console.

I'm no longer getting an error when I click the Check for Windows Updates link on the workstations.  Hopefully, I'll start seeing some updates appearing on the workstations very soon.

James Hutchinson

Tuesday, October 29, 2013 8:35 PM

All replies

• I think I may have figured out what I did wrong.  I uninstalled and re-installed WSUS (again).  This time, I didn't use the "recommended" port 80 for IIS, I used port 8530.  I think this is why I couldn't see any of my computers in the WSUS Admin Console.

I'm no longer getting an error when I click the Check for Windows Updates link on the workstations.  Hopefully, I'll start seeing some updates appearing on the workstations very soon.

James Hutchinson

Tuesday, October 29, 2013 8:35 PM
  • Hi James,

For next time, just a quick check over Google would have given you the issue with your error code : 80072EFD :

Lawrence Garvin said :

(...) it's typically a networkconfiguration issue, but could be implemented on the client, on the WSUS server, or at any device in between.(...)

For your questions :

#1) here is your answer for your error code :)

#2) How do you sync' your computers to WSUS ? With client side targeting or you let them appears in "Unassigned" computers ?

If you do with the side targeting, please check that your GPO is well settled.

Thanks.

TiGrOu.

• Proposed as answer by elTiGrOu Wednesday, October 30, 2013 9:39 AM
    Wednesday, October 30, 2013 9:39 AM
  • Regarding #2, could you please elaborate?  I have a computer group setup for my workstations in the WSUS Admin Console.  For the GPO, I have the same computer group name (i.e. "Target group name") setup for the "Enable client-side targeting" option. 

Do these 2 computer groups need to have identical names if you want to setup automatically approved updates in the GPO?  I do not understand the relationship between the Computer Groups in the WSUS Admin Console and the Target group name in the GPO.    

James Hutchinson

Wednesday, October 30, 2013 10:26 PM
  • My clients are still not getting any updates, but I think it's because none of the updates are 100% complete.  In the WSUS Admin Console, it states that there are 244 updates needed by my computers.  However, in the "Installed/Not Approved" column next to each of these updates, it says 60% or 80%.

Below each update, it states "The files for this update have not yet been downloaded.  The update can be approved but will not be available to computers until the download is complete."

Does this mean the rest of these updates are in a .cab file that I have not loaded into WSUS yet?  I would appreciate it if someone could explain this to me.  Again, I'm using WSUS on a network not connected to the Internet. 

James Hutchinson

Wednesday, October 30, 2013 10:32 PM