none
MDT 2012 - Deployment of two partitions using a USB stick

Question

• Hi  guys,

I am pretty new to MDT 2012, I used so far Ghost to do our images. But the user friendly and customable interface convinced me to change camps. I am using an USB stick to deploy my images.

So far  I captured one image of the c:\ drive and one image of the d:\ drive. The d drive contains only data. Then I created a deployment share and a media from which I created my USB stick. I managed to set up a task sequence that partitions my hard drive in 2 partitions, and I gave the second partition the variable Data. The OS gets correctly installed on c:\.  So far so good. The hard thing now is to get the second partition onto the disk.

I created a new command line entry in my task sequence in the State Restore section:

"%DeployRoot%\Tools\X86\imagex" /apply "%DeployRoot%\Data\data.wim" 1  %data%

Now I get the error that the file specified cannot be found.

I put the file on my USB stick in e:\deploy\data.

Is there anything that I am missing here ? I spent already 2 weeks on this subject, but I didn't find a solution to this problem. 

Maybe someone in this forum can help me?

Thanks in advance !

Monday, February 18, 2013 9:44 PM

Answers

• Thanks for your comment !

In fact I did the partitioning exactly as you indicate, this part is working fine.

I now created a little script that extracts all data from a zip file that I included in the image of the c:\ drive. This is working. I launch it in the State Restore phase.

But is there a way to define in the script that it should extract a zip file from the installation drive ? If I use %deployroot% in the script as a variable, it is not working. Do you have an idea for this ?

I also placed the scipt in the Install phas, but it's not executed.

I would not put the zip-file in the image of the C:-partition that you wan't to have on your D:-partition cause, then you can't change the data without recreating the whole image.

Just create an application that have all the file you want to copy to the D:-drive and as command line for the application use the line below:

Powershell.exe -Command "& {Copy-Item .\* D: -Recurse -Force}"

• Edited by Samus-Aran Wednesday, February 20, 2013 10:07 PM
    • Marked as answer by Mike2410 Thursday, February 21, 2013 5:22 AM
    Wednesday, February 20, 2013 10:07 PM

All replies

• Hmm, i have never tried to apply a second image to a second drive before but that's not a best practice anyway. What if you want to change some of the data of the D:-drive? Then you have to recreate the image and the recreate the USB.

I would with MDT create two partition and apply the image to one of the and in an application copy all the data over to the second drive.

EDIT: Se pic:

This will create a Datadisk (D: in your case) of 50 GB and the rest of the space will go to the OSDisk. Then you create an application that copies all of your data to the D:-drive. 

Thats how i would do it! :)

• Edited by Samus-Aran Monday, February 18, 2013 10:46 PM
    Monday, February 18, 2013 10:05 PM

In fact I did the partitioning exactly as you indicate, this part is working fine.

I now created a little script that extracts all data from a zip file that I included in the image of the c:\ drive. This is working. I launch it in the State Restore phase.

But is there a way to define in the script that it should extract a zip file from the installation drive ? If I use %deployroot% in the script as a variable, it is not working. Do you have an idea for this ?

• Edited by Mike2410 Wednesday, February 20, 2013 7:15 PM
    Wednesday, February 20, 2013 7:13 PM
  • The variable for the drive letter of the drive that has Windows installed on it is %SystemDrive%. Deployroot will always refer to the deploymentshare itself.

Kind regards,

Stephan Schwarz

If one of these posts answered your question or issue, please click on "Mark as answer".

My Blog | Twitter: @Schwarz_Stephan | MCTS, MCITP, MCSA, MCC-2011.
    How to configure Windows RE/OEM Recovery Partition with MDT
    How to configure Windows RE/OEM Recovery Partition with MDT 2012 Update 1

Wednesday, February 20, 2013 9:50 PM

I would not put the zip-file in the image of the C:-partition that you wan't to have on your D:-partition cause, then you can't change the data without recreating the whole image.

Just create an application that have all the file you want to copy to the D:-drive and as command line for the application use the line below:

Powershell.exe -Command "& {Copy-Item .\* D: -Recurse -Force}"

• Edited by Samus-Aran Wednesday, February 20, 2013 10:07 PM
    • Marked as answer by Mike2410 Thursday, February 21, 2013 5:22 AM
    Wednesday, February 20, 2013 10:07 PM
  • This seems to be a feasible solution to me.

I will test it soon.

Thanks a lot for your assistance !

Thursday, February 21, 2013 5:22 AM