none
Change agent site code to new server

Question

• What is the best practice to change clients site code to point to a new primary site?

Thursday, November 14, 2013 1:22 AM

Answers

• Hi,

You have several ways to change site code of your clients.

You can uninstall first then install your clients by defining the client installation property as mention below

(don’t use the default installation procedure because it will point to old MP and site when you reinstall it.

Provide the client installation property here

You can also have some more ways like script package deployed through old site and then install from new site or manually.

Please note that this solution is also used by admins when they migrate clients form SCCM 2007 to 2012.

Thanks

Rajds

• Marked as answer by sevengs Thursday, November 14, 2013 3:41 AM
    Thursday, November 14, 2013 3:07 AM

All replies

• I find collection command tool easy since you can assign group of clients to another Site http://smscollctr.sourceforge.net/ .you also have other tools like sccm right click tools and many.

you should also consider "Trusted root Key" when you do such assignments across the hirarchy,for more info read http://blogs.technet.com/b/configmgrteam/archive/2009/04/09/reassigning-a-configuration-manager-client-across-hierarchies.aspx

vbs:

On Error Resume Next
    set oSMSClient = CreateObject ("Microsoft.SMS.Client")
    'if Err.Number <>0 then
    'wscript.echo "Could not create SMS Client Object - quitting"
    'end if
    'Assign client to Servername
    oSMSClient.SetAssignedSite "P01",0
    set oSMSClient=nothing

Eswar Koneti | Configmgr blog: www.eskonr.com | Linkedin: Eswar Koneti | Twitter: Eskonr

Thursday, November 14, 2013 2:47 AM
  • Hi,

You have several ways to change site code of your clients.

You can uninstall first then install your clients by defining the client installation property as mention below

(don’t use the default installation procedure because it will point to old MP and site when you reinstall it.

Provide the client installation property here

You can also have some more ways like script package deployed through old site and then install from new site or manually.

Please note that this solution is also used by admins when they migrate clients form SCCM 2007 to 2012.

Thanks

Rajds

• Marked as answer by sevengs Thursday, November 14, 2013 3:41 AM
    Thursday, November 14, 2013 3:07 AM
  • My old server is dead, gone, no more so I can not use that to push out clients.

I don't want to reinstall as I have thousands of clients all over the world and I can't use AD as we do not mange it.

I was avoiding importing computers from AD as I didn't want to pull in dead computers. If I did do this can I just right click the collection and say install client? Would that fix my issue?

If not what options do I have left?

I should say that the only thing that stayed the same is the server name.
    • Edited by sevengs Thursday, November 14, 2013 3:41 AM
    Thursday, November 14, 2013 3:37 AM
  • The client setup can upgrade the clients, yes... Is it a new version(2007->2012) of ConfigMgr, or just a new site?

Monday, November 18, 2013 11:13 PM
  • When you reassign a Configuration Manager client from one hierarchy to another, the client already has a trusted root key from its original hierarchy. Reassigning the client to a new hierarchy means that the client will also be assigned to a new management point. When both the trusted root key and the management point changes, by default, the client will become unmanaged.

so have to manage the trusted root key......see the below post.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/configmgrteam/archive/2009/04/09/reassigning-a-configuration-manager-client-across-hierarchies.aspx

Rajds
    Tuesday, November 19, 2013 5:50 PM