none
the connection was denied because the user account is not authorized for remote login

Question

• I have an agent that has been remote logging in and tonight she got the error, "the connection was denied because the user account is not authorized for remote login."  I tried to login as her and sure enough, this error is coming up.  I haven't done anything to her user account since the last time she remoted in last week.  I've searched the web for some ideas but nothing relevant to this particular scenario.

Any ideas?

Tuesday, January 24, 2012 5:38 AM

Answers

• I think this is resolved now.  It appears, at least right now, that our agent is now able to login remotely to her work PC.  The problem was for some reason, through the migration from SBS 2003 to SBS 2011, even though all steps were followed and the old server was dcpromo'd, the old server was still listed, although there weren't any subfolders (or whatever they are actually called) under it, in ADSI Edit.  When I manually deleted what was left over of the old server, some of the problems we were having were resolved. 

Thank you to everyone for helping me.  I think next time I would rather do a fresh installation instead of a migration.

• Marked as answer by Torrey Lauer Saturday, January 28, 2012 4:31 AM
    Saturday, January 28, 2012 4:31 AM

All replies

• I have an agent that has been remote logging in and tonight she got the error, "the connection was denied because the user account is not authorized for remote login."  I tried to login as her and sure enough, this error is coming up.  I haven't done anything to her user account since the last time she remoted in last week.  I've searched the web for some ideas but nothing relevant to this particular scenario.

Any ideas?

Hi Torrey,

what version of SBS are you using? Have you checked the groups the user is a member of? You might want to try to compare them to the groups for a user that can succesfully logon to the remote environment.

Kind regards, Philipp - Solid IT Solutions
    Tuesday, January 24, 2012 7:38 AM
  • Hi Philipp,

We are using SBS2011.  I have checked the groups to which she belongs and it's the same as the others. I'm going to check, but I think it's only happening to her.

Wednesday, January 25, 2012 3:05 AM
  • Hi,

From your description, you have confirmed that there is only one user affected. And the error message that affected user received has been listed below:

The connection was denied because the user account is not authorized for remote login

The issue could be related to the permission settings. We could export the settings for affected user and normal user, and then compare with settings together to find the clues.

You could use the ldifde command line tool, for the detailed information; there is a link for your reference:

Title: Ldifde

URL: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc731033(WS.10).aspx

At the same time, please look into the application logging file and system logging file to verify whether there are some related errors or warnings included. And let me know your findings.

Regards,

James

James Xiong

TechNet Community Support

Thursday, January 26, 2012 6:57 AM
  • Hi Philipp,

We are using SBS2011.  I have checked the groups to which she belongs and it's the same as the others. I'm going to check, but I think it's only happening to her.

have you also checked the user properties in the sbs console for the affected user? You might just want to try dis- and re-enabling remote logon for her and see if that does anything.
    Kind regards, Philipp - Solid IT Solutions
    Thursday, January 26, 2012 7:53 AM
  • Philipp,

I have disabled and re-enabled remote login and here's what's happening.  When she logins to the initial login screen at remote.domain.com.  When she clicks on the Connect button for the computer that she has been given access for remote login, it prompts her for her password and starts the process or configuring the connection and then it comes back with the error that "the connection was denied because the user account is not authorized for remote login."

Thursday, January 26, 2012 8:37 PM
  • I think this is resolved now.  It appears, at least right now, that our agent is now able to login remotely to her work PC.  The problem was for some reason, through the migration from SBS 2003 to SBS 2011, even though all steps were followed and the old server was dcpromo'd, the old server was still listed, although there weren't any subfolders (or whatever they are actually called) under it, in ADSI Edit.  When I manually deleted what was left over of the old server, some of the problems we were having were resolved. 

Thank you to everyone for helping me.  I think next time I would rather do a fresh installation instead of a migration.

• Marked as answer by Torrey Lauer Saturday, January 28, 2012 4:31 AM
    Saturday, January 28, 2012 4:31 AM