none
Folder-Specific Permission in a Document Library in SharePoint 2010

Question

• I am in SharePoint 2010.  I have a document library that contains several folders.  I would like to set user-specific permissions to each of the folders.  I know that this is an item-level permission.  I know that I can stop permissions to the library itself (which would allow me to give user-specific permissions to the library), but I don't see an option to stop permissions to the individual folders in the library.  Is there a way this can be done?

Wednesday, July 24, 2013 10:13 PM

Answers

• Yes, when you are in the library and you can see the folder you want to change permissions on (don't enter the folder), select the folder item using the tick boxes on the left and then in the ribbon you should see something like "change item permissions". Stop inheriting and setup access to those you wish. Those without access won't even see it.

Brendan Lee

Wednesday, July 24, 2013 10:26 PM

All replies

• Yes, when you are in the library and you can see the folder you want to change permissions on (don't enter the folder), select the folder item using the tick boxes on the left and then in the ribbon you should see something like "change item permissions". Stop inheriting and setup access to those you wish. Those without access won't even see it.

Brendan Lee

Wednesday, July 24, 2013 10:26 PM
  • Thank you!  This worked!  At least on my implementation, the "Change Item Permissions" button in the Library tab of the ribbon is actually called "Document Permissions".
    Wednesday, July 24, 2013 10:31 PM
  • Ah yes that's the one, it's misleading as you click "document permissions" when actually a folder isn't a document. But glad that solved it for you!

Brendan Lee

Wednesday, July 24, 2013 11:25 PM
  • A quick follow-up question...  After I stop inheriting permissions to a given folder in a library, I can remove the permissions that it already has and re-assign new ones.  If I remove myself in the original set of permissions, will I be immediately kicked out of the folder (since I no longer have access to it)?
    Thursday, July 25, 2013 4:14 PM