none
Public IP Address Subsitute for VPN

Question

• Hi All,

I would like to setup a VPN connection. Some has an idea to get the FREE public IP Address (or substitute)

N.A.Malik

Saturday, October 19, 2013 10:34 PM

Answers

• Hello,

you have to check your routers WAN port, that has the public ip address. Be aware that providers may change them during a 24hour reset interval.

For a fixed ip address you have to "buy" your own public ip address from your ISP.

Also you can use your preferred search provider and look for "what is my ip" this should give you some websites showing the public ip address from your router.

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
    MVP, MCP, MCTS
    Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
    My Blog: http://msmvps.com/blogs/mweber/

Disclaimer: This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Sunday, October 20, 2013 4:43 PM
  • Hi,

Private IP cannot be routed on the Internet.

As Meinolf Weber mentioned, it's better to have a static public IP when you want to build your own VPN.

Regarding cannot use RDP even you can ping the server, I indeed saw someone has the same problem with you. You may find answer in RDP forum.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/home?forum=winserverTS&filter=alltypes&sort=lastpostdesc

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time.
    Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Saturday, October 26, 2013 2:24 AM
  • Trying to understand what you're intentions are, I believe you want to setup a simple RDP and VPN from the internet to access your computers from somewhere else on the internet.

Is that assumption correct? If that is not correct, please provide a scenario and a complete explanation of what your intentions and end goals are. Provide an example of what you are trying to do.

If my assumption is correct, as was posted, private IPs are not accessible from the internet because they can't be "routed" on the internet.

Also, as was also indicated, if you go to http://www.whatismyip.com/ it will show you your current public IP address that you are connected to the internet through your ISP.

If you port translate TCP 3389 on your router to send TCP 3389 traffic to your Windows 2012 server, allow remote desktop on the server, then from somewhere else on the internet you can connect to your current public IP that you found from what's my IP.

To VPN, you must port translate TCP 1723 and GRE (protID# 47) to your WIndows 2012 server, and setup NAS (RRAS) for VPN access, test it internally from a client to make sure it works, then you can connect to your public IP from somewhere on the internet.

If you can't connect from the internet, then that means more than likely your ISP line does NOT allow inbound traffic, and you would need to purchase a business line to allow that traffic.

So far, my post is based on assumptions due to the limited amount of information you've provided. If my assumptions are incorrect, and my assistance is not helpful, then please provide additional detail to better understand what you are asking.

Thank you!

Ace Fekay
    MVP, MCT, MCITP/EA, MCTS Windows 2008/R2 & Exchange 2007, Exchange 2010 EA, MCSE & MCSA 2003/2000, MCSA Messaging 2003
    Microsoft Certified Trainer
    Technical Blogs & Videos: http://www.delawarecountycomputerconsulting.com/

This post is provided AS-IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

FaceBook Twitter LinkedIn

Saturday, October 26, 2013 4:59 PM

All replies

• Hi All,

I would like to setup a VPN connection. Some has an idea to get the FREE public IP Address (or substitute)

N.A.Malik

Saturday, October 19, 2013 10:35 PM
  • Hi, please explain furhter your query.

Will you use the server as a vpn server or as a vpn client ?

Regards, Philippe

Sunday, October 20, 2013 4:19 AM
  • Hi,

Server 2012 would be the VPN server, Win7 / Win8 will be client.

N.A.Malik

Sunday, October 20, 2013 9:35 AM
  • Hello,

you have to check your routers WAN port, that has the public ip address. Be aware that providers may change them during a 24hour reset interval.

For a fixed ip address you have to "buy" your own public ip address from your ISP.

Also you can use your preferred search provider and look for "what is my ip" this should give you some websites showing the public ip address from your router.

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
    MVP, MCP, MCTS
    My Blog: http://msmvps.com/blogs/mweber/

Disclaimer: This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Sunday, October 20, 2013 4:43 PM
  • Hi,

YES I have got that Private IP from web site. But seems like I can't work with that IP. For example I cant use Remote Desktop Connection with that IP (although I can ping it successfully)

N.A.Malik

Sunday, October 20, 2013 6:50 PM
  • Hi,

Private IP cannot be routed on the Internet.

As Meinolf Weber mentioned, it's better to have a static public IP when you want to build your own VPN.

Regarding cannot use RDP even you can ping the server, I indeed saw someone has the same problem with you. You may find answer in RDP forum.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/home?forum=winserverTS&filter=alltypes&sort=lastpostdesc

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time.
    Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Saturday, October 26, 2013 2:24 AM
  • Trying to understand what you're intentions are, I believe you want to setup a simple RDP and VPN from the internet to access your computers from somewhere else on the internet.

Is that assumption correct? If that is not correct, please provide a scenario and a complete explanation of what your intentions and end goals are. Provide an example of what you are trying to do.

If my assumption is correct, as was posted, private IPs are not accessible from the internet because they can't be "routed" on the internet.

Also, as was also indicated, if you go to http://www.whatismyip.com/ it will show you your current public IP address that you are connected to the internet through your ISP.

If you port translate TCP 3389 on your router to send TCP 3389 traffic to your Windows 2012 server, allow remote desktop on the server, then from somewhere else on the internet you can connect to your current public IP that you found from what's my IP.

To VPN, you must port translate TCP 1723 and GRE (protID# 47) to your WIndows 2012 server, and setup NAS (RRAS) for VPN access, test it internally from a client to make sure it works, then you can connect to your public IP from somewhere on the internet.

If you can't connect from the internet, then that means more than likely your ISP line does NOT allow inbound traffic, and you would need to purchase a business line to allow that traffic.

So far, my post is based on assumptions due to the limited amount of information you've provided. If my assumptions are incorrect, and my assistance is not helpful, then please provide additional detail to better understand what you are asking.

Thank you!

Ace Fekay
    MVP, MCT, MCITP/EA, MCTS Windows 2008/R2 & Exchange 2007, Exchange 2010 EA, MCSE & MCSA 2003/2000, MCSA Messaging 2003
    Microsoft Certified Trainer
    Technical Blogs & Videos: http://www.delawarecountycomputerconsulting.com/

This post is provided AS-IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

FaceBook Twitter LinkedIn

Saturday, October 26, 2013 4:59 PM