none
In MDX, WITH MEMBER [Measures]. " for numeric calculation as well as string member

Question

• Hi

I have confusion regarding "WITH MEMBER [Measures].[PackagesForecast] AS"

I thought above MDX can be only used for measure calculation but people are using like adding string member.

I would like to know how it is working for measure like amount and string member like USA, UK.

It is confusing me "WITH MEMBER [Measures]. "

can you please expalin "WITH MEMBER [Measures].  "  for numeric calculation as well as string member

Thanks and Regards,

Ramesh

• Edited by Ramesh x Sunday, July 07, 2013 12:52 PM Modified text
    Sunday, July 07, 2013 12:51 PM

Answers

• Hi Ramesh ,

You brobably remember the '[Measures]' from the natural Measure Groups you've been creating for your cube .

The most common Aggregate Function for the measures will be Sum/Count ..

But let's think about a measure of rates - now we don't want to summerize it,  so we'll use the Aggregate Function 'None' .

So basically, creating a member that will hold countries names is a member with a 'None' Aggregate Function .

If you'll decide to create a new measure for [Measures].[Revenue]*2 as example, it will use the [Measures].[Revenue] Aggregate Function .

Hope it helps :)

Regards, David .

Monday, July 08, 2013 8:01 AM

All replies

• Hi Ramesh ,

For your question, The member can have several data types . I believe you want to understand the Scalar ..

The member properties can be used as 'normal' attribute for entity . Means, it can contain data as country attribute 'USA','UK' .. or data like num of students attribute 5,9 ... Each property contains key column and name colunm . If there is no name column selected, the key column will become the name column as well, just with wchar data type . Don't forget you can always format the member data ..

Hope it didn't make you more confused :) a small link can help (MDX Data Types part) :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MultiDimensional_eXpressions

Regards, David .

Sunday, July 07, 2013 3:49 PM
  • Hi David,

Thanks for your good explantion.

I got alsmot what I would like to know...I have a small confusion I am fine with "With Member"  for numeric and string.

is "With Memebr[meaures]" can be used for both numeric and string ? I thought "...[meaures]" can be only used for numeric...

Can you please clarify?

Thanks and Regards,

Ramesh

Monday, July 08, 2013 4:39 AM
  • Hi Ramesh ,

You brobably remember the '[Measures]' from the natural Measure Groups you've been creating for your cube .

The most common Aggregate Function for the measures will be Sum/Count ..

But let's think about a measure of rates - now we don't want to summerize it,  so we'll use the Aggregate Function 'None' .

So basically, creating a member that will hold countries names is a member with a 'None' Aggregate Function .

If you'll decide to create a new measure for [Measures].[Revenue]*2 as example, it will use the [Measures].[Revenue] Aggregate Function .

Hope it helps :)

Regards, David .

Monday, July 08, 2013 8:01 AM