none
Accessing unix hosted NFS share with secondary GIDs from Server 2008 R2.

Question

• I have a NFS share hosted on a unix machine. The share has 2 folders, the "Admin" folder (group owner is admin GID: 10003) and the "Test" folder (group owner is test GID: 10004). I have Windows Server 2008 R2 in a domain trying to access these shares. I have 2 Windows groups named "Admin" and "Test" with unix attributes enabled and the corresponding GIDs set. I have a Windows user with unix attributes enabled and the PrimaryGID set as "Admin", the user is added to both groups on the unix attributes tab.

I have no problems mounting the NFS share with NFS Client installed and browsing through either admin or test folders. When I edit anything within the Admin folder I am successful. When I try to create or edit anything within the Test folder, I get permission denied error. Windows seems to only use the Primary GID when accessing NFS shares. When I change my primary GID to Test, I am able to edit within the Test folder and I am denied within the Admin folder.

I hope this painted a clear picture of what I am trying to achieve. Is it possible for Windows Server 2008 R2 to use the secondary GIDs when accessing an NFS share?

Tuesday, October 01, 2013 3:40 PM

Answers

• Hi

I don't think so, but you could create another user account with that primary GID, and you connect to that share by providing that credential.

Regards

MCP | MCTS - Exchange 2007, Configuring | Member of TechNet Wiki Community Council | French Moderator on TechNet Wiki (Translation Widget)

Wednesday, October 02, 2013 2:37 AM

All replies

• Hi

I don't think so, but you could create another user account with that primary GID, and you connect to that share by providing that credential.

Regards

MCP | MCTS - Exchange 2007, Configuring | Member of TechNet Wiki Community Council | French Moderator on TechNet Wiki (Translation Widget)

Wednesday, October 02, 2013 2:37 AM
  • We were trying to minimize accounts per person but this may be a work around. Thanks for the reply!
    Wednesday, October 02, 2013 2:17 PM