none
PG Log: Hand Gesture Control: "PGService (PGServiceUpdate): can not access pg_user.ini file"

Question

• The System log is flooded with thousands of messages like this:

Log Name:      PG Log
    Source:        Hand Gesture Control
    Date:          6/22/2014 2:57:31 PM
    Event ID:      0
    Task Category: None
    Level:         Warning
    Keywords:      Classic
    User:          N/A
    Computer:      XXXXXXX
    Description:
    PGService (PGServiceUpdate): can not access pg_user.ini file
    Event Xml:

<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
      <System>
        <Provider Name="Hand Gesture Control" />
        <EventID Qualifiers="0">0</EventID>
        <Level>3</Level>
        <Task>0</Task>
        <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2014-06-22T18:57:31.000000000Z" />
        <EventRecordID>883514</EventRecordID>
        <Channel>PG Log</Channel>
        <Computer>XXXXXXXX</Computer>
        <Security />
      </System>
      <EventData>
        <Data>PGService (PGServiceUpdate): can not access pg_user.ini file</Data>
      </EventData>
    </Event>

I cannot find a file with that name anywhere on my computer.

• Edited by Donald E Payne Sunday, June 22, 2014 10:06 PM Add line about not finding file on computer
    Sunday, June 22, 2014 10:02 PM

Answers

• Hi,

According to the log, seems this issue is related with an 3 rd party application named PointGrab, it is a leading provider of advanced hand gesture recognition software using standard 2D cameras in your system. usually the location is

C:\Program Files or Program Files (x86)\PointGrab\Hand Gesture Control\PGService.exe

I suggest you uninstall the application if you don't need it or reinstall the application as a test.

Yolanda Zhu
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, June 24, 2014 2:24 AM

All replies

• Hi,

According to the log, seems this issue is related with an 3 rd party application named PointGrab, it is a leading provider of advanced hand gesture recognition software using standard 2D cameras in your system. usually the location is

C:\Program Files or Program Files (x86)\PointGrab\Hand Gesture Control\PGService.exe

I suggest you uninstall the application if you don't need it or reinstall the application as a test.

Yolanda Zhu
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, June 24, 2014 2:24 AM
  • Hi Yolanda, thanks for reply. I looked for directory PointGrab under both Program directories; not there. I searched entire drive for "name:pointgrab": nothing. Then for "name:gesture": nothing relevant.

I have a Lenovo Ultrabook Ideapad U530, so I checked at support.lenovo.com. Found that Lenovo calls it "Motion Control", and version 2.0.0.0807 is installed, but not running and not set to run. Mystery. I'll pursue this on the Lenovo support forum. From what I read, it is not useful, so I may just uninstall it.

Tuesday, June 24, 2014 2:57 PM
  • FYI, I launched "Lenovo Motion Control", changed a setting, then exited it. The repeated errors in the log seem to have stopped. I learned that the app has a service that starts on system startup. Maybe the "ini" file has now been written and can be accessed by the service. Whatever.
    Tuesday, June 24, 2014 3:46 PM