none
use MDT to capture sysprep windows 7 PC + applications

Question

• Hi I have been using symantec ghost to create and restore the image. We have 8 different types of few hundred workstations.
    Normally in reference workstation we install Windows 7 + Updates + Applications then Sysprep and create an image using Ghost. We then use Ghostcast server to deploy the image to rest workstations. Workstations connects to Ghostcast server either via PXE/usb boot. We have total 8 different types of images.

Our image size range from 18GB to 35GB for different types of workstaions. We have about 60 identical workstations for students which has 20+ applications and its image size is 35Gb; And these students workstations are re-imaged every 3 months.

So If I want to achieve similar, Can MDT do it ? Like capture the reference PC image then deploy the captured image to other identical workstations.

Any help would be much appreciated, thank you.

• Edited by abudha Wednesday, February 20, 2013 9:56 PM
    Wednesday, February 20, 2013 9:54 PM

Answers

• 1. First I have to load the contents of the XP cd to MDT.

2. I had to let the MDT use its sysprep option.

I now have managed to deploy windows 7 + apps + drives from MDT. I have also managed to capture the reference PC.

• Marked as answer by abudha Wednesday, March 06, 2013 11:38 AM
    Wednesday, March 06, 2013 11:38 AM

All replies

• Yes you can and it will be much, much, much smother as you only need one image that contains no applications. then you use something that is called a task sequence to install applications and drivers based on pretty much anything you want. for example if you have a Dell Optiplex 780 then you can problably only want to install the drivers for that model.

You can also create multiple task sequence. Let's say you have a set of applications the students must have and you have another set of applications the teachers should have. Then you stil apply the same image in the task sequence but you install different applications.

Just install it and try it out, you can boot from PXE and USB like you do with ghost.

• Proposed as answer by D.Gaurav Saturday, February 23, 2013 11:41 AM
    Wednesday, February 20, 2013 10:20 PM
  • hi samus-aran, thank you

Based on what I read about MDT, the application has to support silent install to deploy But in my case this is a school environment where there are tons of application that doesnt support silent install or network deploy. So for me the only choice left is to install everything in one reference PC then capture the image and deploy to rest identical PC.

Thursday, February 21, 2013 8:47 AM
  • My approach is all software that is "old" and doesn't have a silent way to deploy, or never gets updated I install as part of the base using Hyper-V. I then deploy the rest of the applications as part of the TS. I actually make a few different bases depending on the software. Good Luck.
    Thursday, February 21, 2013 3:54 PM
  • hi samus-aran, thank you

Based on what I read about MDT, the application has to support silent install to deploy But in my case this is a school environment where there are tons of application that doesnt support silent install or network deploy. So for me the only choice left is to install everything in one reference PC then capture the image and deploy to rest identical PC.

You can do this.  What you want to do is create a 'thick' image.

Johan has some fantastic videos on the basics.  Its under 3 hours of training for 2010 but, very worthwhile and still applicable to 2012.

http://deploymentresearch.com/Videos/MDT2010LiteTouchUnleashedVideos.aspx

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ” How to ask a question that is fixable.

Thursday, February 21, 2013 5:40 PM
  • thank you very much; I have few questions hope someone can help me please.

1. Lets say I want to capture a Win XP PC image: Do I have to import the Windows XP CD first ? Because from MDT >> NewTask Sequence and on Select OS part I cannot choose my existing Windows 7.

2. I have just got a 20 identical HP desktop, I have picked up one and installed Windows 7, All required applications + updates. I have sealed the system with Sysrep and shutdown the computer.

Then from MDT >> New Task Sequence >> Template: Sysprep & Capture >> Select OS: Windows 7 Prof.wim >> entered MAK keys >> entered Full Name/Org Name >> entered Administrator Password >> Finish.

Now my question here is:
    how can I disable the Sysprep in the above Task Sequence ?
    how do I now capture of the above PC image ?

Friday, February 22, 2013 12:37 PM
  • 1. First I have to load the contents of the XP cd to MDT.

2. I had to let the MDT use its sysprep option.

I now have managed to deploy windows 7 + apps + drives from MDT. I have also managed to capture the reference PC.

• Marked as answer by abudha Wednesday, March 06, 2013 11:38 AM
    Wednesday, March 06, 2013 11:38 AM