none
Windows Server 2012 R2 Complete Setup

Question

• Hi guy,

I am a student and I am currently in my second year of study for my Computing degree. I have recently installed Windows Server 2012 R2 with Essentials. This has been the first time I have done so and the reason being when I graduate I would like to get into networking as my career path. So I thought what is a better way of getting one step ahead of the competition and also I do have access to a lot of free Microsoft Premium softwares.

So the problem I am having is I have installed the OS and I have a hell of a lot of red flags on my dashboard. The sole purpose for me wanting to set this server up is so that I can have access to Ubuntu as a VM & run my own cloud service, and access all my files no matter what part of the world I am in. I have no technical no how in regards to the Windows Server OS, I have managed to make some steps forward but I do not think I am heading in the right direction in regards to the final goal. I have searched all over the internet for step-by-step guides on how to step the whole thing up but I have had no luck. Can anyone please help me???

Sunday, December 29, 2013 7:38 PM

Answers

• A good place to get started with Windows Server 2012 if you don't want to spend money is earlyexperts dot net and start the apprenticeship quest.

For detailed step by step guide visit eradroid dot com. I'm currently pursuing MCSE Server Infrastructure and I created some post on how to configure Hyper-V, Create Virtual Network Switch, create Virtual machine, install Windows Server 2012, ...

I also suggest you read 070-410: Installing and Configuring Windows Server 2012  by Craig Zacker. If you don't want to buy the book, try to visit Microsoft Virtual Academy, there are tons of Windows Server 2012 stuff there.

The thing is, if you have access to a lot of free Microsoft Premium Software (I bet it's DreamSpark since you're a student) I wonder why you choose "Essentials" when you can choose Standard or Data Center. Also, if you just want to access your files no matter where in the world you're in then I don't think it's necessary for your to have your own server, you can just use SkyDrive, Dropbox, etc.

Anyway, I'm assuming that you have Windows 8 Pro or Windows 8.1 Pro

Step 1: Configure Hyper-V on your Windows 8 or Windows 8.1(Win+X, Program and Features, Turn Windows Feature On or Off, Check Hyper-V). Restart your PC and launch Hyper-V Manager.

2. Create External Virtual Switch

3. Create a VM and mount the .iso installer of Windows Server 2012 preferably Standard or Datacenter

4. Setup Windows Server 2012.

5. I haven't tried using Ubuntu on Hyper-V but I know Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 6.4 run on top of Hyper-V with no problem. I have detailed instruction on how to do that starting from registering to configuring on my blog eradroid dot com.

Monday, December 30, 2013 1:38 AM

All replies

• Hi 

Can you please be more specific? What are you running the 2012 server on? What steps did you already take? Can you provide a screenshot of the warnings/errors?

Why did you install 2012 server if you only need an ubuntu server? Rather than just installing ubuntu server itself?

Take a look at the LTS release of ubuntu with the OpenStack Havana.

Regards 

Glenn

Sunday, December 29, 2013 8:32 PM
  • @Glenn

Thanks for replying. I am running it on my space PC, which has a 1TB split for 2 OS's Windows 7 & Server 2012 R2. To cut it short my hardware is up to scratch.

The steps I have already taken are I have used the built in Server Manager to complete the flagged tasks.

I didn't need Ubuntu Server, the reason for doing so was so that I can access Ubuntu the OS as a VM from my Windows Server. I have successfully installed Ubuntu on Hyper V but have no clue on how to set it up to access it remotely.

I am not at home at the moment I will send you some screenshots in the morning if that is fine?

Basically on the Dashboard, nothing is appearing in Green to show that it configured correctly. I have invested a lot of time reading & researching on it but have not found a 'dummies' guide to setting up.
    • Edited by ckkingpin Monday, December 30, 2013 12:04 AM Adding Content
    Monday, December 30, 2013 12:02 AM
  • Well there are multiple ways to set up your own (cloud) storage server. 

There is the OpenStack solution, but OpenStack is extensive and in my opinion not the easiest to set up. Though knowledge of OpenStack would be a nice addition to your resume.

I would advice you to check out the article below which compares some of the possible solutions.

http://blog.patshead.com/2013/04/self-hosted-cloud-storage-solution-owncloud-vs-sparkleshare.html

Regards

Glenn
    Monday, December 30, 2013 12:51 AM
  • So you will not be able to recommend a 'step-by-step' guide?
    Monday, December 30, 2013 12:59 AM
  • A good place to get started with Windows Server 2012 if you don't want to spend money is earlyexperts dot net and start the apprenticeship quest.

For detailed step by step guide visit eradroid dot com. I'm currently pursuing MCSE Server Infrastructure and I created some post on how to configure Hyper-V, Create Virtual Network Switch, create Virtual machine, install Windows Server 2012, ...

I also suggest you read 070-410: Installing and Configuring Windows Server 2012  by Craig Zacker. If you don't want to buy the book, try to visit Microsoft Virtual Academy, there are tons of Windows Server 2012 stuff there.

The thing is, if you have access to a lot of free Microsoft Premium Software (I bet it's DreamSpark since you're a student) I wonder why you choose "Essentials" when you can choose Standard or Data Center. Also, if you just want to access your files no matter where in the world you're in then I don't think it's necessary for your to have your own server, you can just use SkyDrive, Dropbox, etc.

Anyway, I'm assuming that you have Windows 8 Pro or Windows 8.1 Pro

Step 1: Configure Hyper-V on your Windows 8 or Windows 8.1(Win+X, Program and Features, Turn Windows Feature On or Off, Check Hyper-V). Restart your PC and launch Hyper-V Manager.

2. Create External Virtual Switch

3. Create a VM and mount the .iso installer of Windows Server 2012 preferably Standard or Datacenter

4. Setup Windows Server 2012.

5. I haven't tried using Ubuntu on Hyper-V but I know Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 6.4 run on top of Hyper-V with no problem. I have detailed instruction on how to do that starting from registering to configuring on my blog eradroid dot com.

Monday, December 30, 2013 1:38 AM
  • Thanks a lot mate for taking your time to reply, useful tips and sites.

The reason I am trying to set this up and I am driving away from Dropbox etc is because:

1 - I am learning new things daily.

2 - You are limited in terms of what you can do on these services.

3 - Probably sounds far fetched but I would also like to host my own site etc..

So there are a number of reasons why.

I will follow all the advise you have given and will keep you posted.

Monday, December 30, 2013 2:00 AM
  • Hi there ,nice posts by some geeks on the forums but people fail to acknowledge undertand that its very tough to install and start your windows server 2012 up and running.

I am a medc and i am pure techno buff,i opted for windows server 2012 r2 essentials over nas server because i wanted to see how this works out.

But a week has gone by and still not able to figure out the conflicts and actually speaking the way to solve my errors on the dashboard.

The pc world itself is haywire ,with no proper set og guidelines or a step by step tutorial with troubleshooting at each step.

Huhh,i dont know how i will sort out my prolem but surely i will make my server run,no matter what.

Guess i cant learn computing in a hurry.

But thinking why people never had Windows home server ,y it didnt become popular,Powerful it might be but ,no documentatin r guides makes it even more distant reality for people with even abov avg computer knowledge.

By the way what can b the cause of repeated errors with DNS and error saying ,ou have multiplerouters,Nt configured correctly,this server is not connected to the internet although i have an active internet connection with browser,

One thing i noted as that when i opened the adaptor properties,it says ipv4,ipv6 no internet acces?

I think that might e the problem.

Can anyone have a workaround or a link to properly manage each step of running the server from scratch.

I ven changed my modem for a new one wth upnp feature.still the ruter cant be configured.

one more thing i want to ask whether i shuld run he router attched to the modem as in AP mode or router mode.

AP mode sets the router to ip of 192.168.1.1 which come in conflict with the modem.

and i cant access the control ui of the modem with that mode,even my router doesnt accepts the admin user and password with that mode.

Friday, February 14, 2014 8:57 PM