none
Document Library Treeview

Question

• I am intending to use Sharepoint 2013, fairly soon.

Having used Sharepoint 2007 and Sharepoint 2010, I would like to know if there is a document library treeview built into Sharepoint 2013?

From my experience of the previous sharepoint applications, I found it to be a major drawback, not being able to display documents, in a treeview format, in Sharepoint.

I cannot understand why this is not available OOB, from Sharepoint.

There are a number of 3rd party solutions, but, they all seem to be very cumbersome, to implement.

Any views on this would be appreciated.

Dan.

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 4:25 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Dan,

Did you mean the Tree view option in Site Settings?

http://www.fpweb.net/support/microsoft-sharepoint/tutorials/sharepoint-2013/customization/tree-view/

Thanks

Daniel Yang
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, February 27, 2013 6:14 AM
  • Hi Daniel,

Thank you for your reply to my enquiry about Treeview, in the Document Library.

The treeview which I would like to see, would be in the document library itself, as opposed to the Left Navigation Bar or Quick Launch.

From my experience of using Sharepoint, for the purpose of Document Libraries, I cannot get it to display documents and folders, in a treeview format, in the Document Library. It is currently a flat structure with no thread. So, when a user wants to get a document in a certain folder, they have only a flat structure, no treeview, to navigate.

I was sure that this issue would be sorted in Sharepoint 2013.

In the past, I had to purchase a 3rd party product do accomplish this task, in Sharepoint 2007. That same product would not work in Sharepoint 2010 and I am seriously hoping that Sharepoint 2013 has something OOB, to accomplish this.

In my opinion, it is one major drawback, of Sharepoint and I am very surprised that development teams haven't dealt with this issue. Again, I just must wait and see if this is handled in Sharepoint 2013.

There would appear to be a few third-party products, but if they are not compatible with every version of Sharepoint, then it defeats the whole purpose.

I would be very intereseted in getting other views, on this issue.

Dan.

• Edited by Dan SPUser Wednesday, February 27, 2013 9:17 AM spelling
    Wednesday, February 27, 2013 9:15 AM
  • Hi Dan,

You should mean the "metadata navigation for a list or library", if that is the case, you need to activate the site feature "Metadata Navigation and Filtering", then you can configure metadata navigation on the library.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-001/sharepoint-help/set-up-metadata-navigation-for-a-list-or-library-HA102832523.aspx

http://jantjesworld.blogspot.com/2012/09/enable-metadata-navigation-and.html

Thanks

Daniel Yang
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, February 27, 2013 9:50 AM
  • Hi Dan,

I also saw your reply at my blog :) You should follow Daniel's instructions. I really advice against using folders in document libraries.

Blog: www.jasperoosterveld.com Twitter: @SharePTJasper

Wednesday, February 27, 2013 1:54 PM
  • Hi

There are a couple now in the SharePoint Office 365 store..

GL

Wednesday, December 25, 2013 2:45 PM