none
Problems Recovering a Windows 2008R2 DC and Microsoft KMS server

Question

• Our Primary MS KMS server is a MS Windows 2008R2 Domain controller VM (VMware).  In DR scenario, when the DC is restored the hardware can change.  What do I need to do to keep/get the KMS activation running?

We are using the Volume Activation Management Tool and are using it for : Windows Server Standard edition and MS Office 2010 KMS Host Edition licensing.

Do I need to reregister it or if I save list can you just import it on the DC and activate it.

Wednesday, February 26, 2014 2:03 PM

Answers

• Hello,

Are you using DNS to locate the KMS Host?

You need to install the KMS host key and activate the KMS host again.

Once activated the KMS host will attempt to report it's record to DNS.

If it's the same DNS name, the KMS clients should just find it again. If the name changes, the KMS client will contact attempt to contact the KMS host that last provided them the ability to activate.

If they fail to find it, they will contact DNS for a KMS host record.

If the name changes you can edit the DNS server to remove the KMS host record that was replaced if it not coming back.

Thanks, Darrell Gorter [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, February 26, 2014 5:05 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Are you using DNS to locate the KMS Host?

You need to install the KMS host key and activate the KMS host again.

Once activated the KMS host will attempt to report it's record to DNS.

If it's the same DNS name, the KMS clients should just find it again. If the name changes, the KMS client will contact attempt to contact the KMS host that last provided them the ability to activate.

If they fail to find it, they will contact DNS for a KMS host record.

If the name changes you can edit the DNS server to remove the KMS host record that was replaced if it not coming back.

Thanks, Darrell Gorter [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, February 26, 2014 5:05 PM
  • Many Thanks for your assistance, it much appreciated.
    Friday, February 28, 2014 3:27 PM