none
RDS and incorrect session ID

Question

• Just discovered a problem trying to shadow thin client terminals on newly installed 2012 Server R2.

In Server Manager, if I select Shadow, I receive the message "The session ID does not specify a valid session"

If I run the powershell command mstsc /v:<server name> /shadow:<session ID> I get the same.

When I list the RDP sessions it displays them as session ID 6 and 7

If I run the mstsc command line and use session number 4 it actually will connect to the desired terminal???

Somehow it looks like the incorrect session ID is being reported.

Anyone else experience this??? Very frustrating....

Friday, April 04, 2014 12:51 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thank you for your comment.

First of all please update the client version to RDP 8.1. Then check the GPO setting “Set Rules for Remote Control of Remote Desktop user Session” under below mention path.

Computer Configuration\Policies\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Remote Desktop Services\Remote Desktop Session Host\Connections\ 

If he chooses to accept, the Remote Control will start and the administrator will be presented with the remotely controlled session easily recognizable by looking at the name of the window

Yes, when you will connect with specified ID number it will connect to that session.
    Mstsc.exe /v:RDS2012R2 /shadow:2

More information:
    Detailed walkthrough on Remote Control (Shadowing), reintroduced in Windows Server 2012 R2

Hope it helps!

Thanks,
    Dharmesh
    Tuesday, April 08, 2014 3:38 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for your comment.

First of all please update the client version to RDP 8.1. Then check the GPO setting “Set Rules for Remote Control of Remote Desktop user Session” under below mention path.

Computer Configuration\Policies\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Remote Desktop Services\Remote Desktop Session Host\Connections\ 

If he chooses to accept, the Remote Control will start and the administrator will be presented with the remotely controlled session easily recognizable by looking at the name of the window

Yes, when you will connect with specified ID number it will connect to that session.
    Mstsc.exe /v:RDS2012R2 /shadow:2

More information:
    Detailed walkthrough on Remote Control (Shadowing), reintroduced in Windows Server 2012 R2

Hope it helps!

Thanks,
    Dharmesh
    Tuesday, April 08, 2014 3:38 AM
  • None of these suggestions have resolved the problem. Somehow Windows 2012 is reporting the incorrect Session ID. If I just start trying other session numbers, I will eventually find it and once it connects it works as expected. Any other suggestions?

Thank You,

-Brian

BrianBedosky

Tuesday, April 15, 2014 7:17 PM
  • Hi Brian,

Before clicking Shadow in Server Manager, do you choose Task--Refresh?

What is the exact text of the error message you see in Server Manager?  Does the error contain the session ID?

-TP

Tuesday, April 15, 2014 7:42 PM
  • Here is the message I receive. I do select refresh before I attempt to shadow.

What is strange is that Send Message and Log off does work and communicate with the correct session?

Problem seems to be limited to Shadow Session.

BrianBedosky

Wednesday, April 16, 2014 6:13 PM
  • Hi Brian,

The image did not show up in your post.  Maybe you can post a link to an image sharing site or your OneDrive?

Please see if the session ids match up between Get-RDUserSession and query session commands.  For example, you can run Get-RDUserSession like this:

Get-RDUserSession|Format-List

Take a look at one of the sessions that you are seeing the problem with.  What does it show for SessionId and UnifiedSessionId for that user?

Now run query session command, like this:

query session /server:rdshserver.yourdomain.com

What session id is returned for the above user?

Thanks.

-TP

Wednesday, April 16, 2014 7:07 PM
  • Here is a link to the commands output results:

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=86A58D839AF0002C%21109

For some reason now it seems like shadow is working via the command line???

Still same error via GUI

Thanks,

-Brian

BrianBedosky

Thursday, April 17, 2014 12:28 PM
  • We still have the same issue via GUI.  Doesn't matter if we are local admin or domain admin the Shadow feature in the GUI gives the same error on all shadow attempts.

SHADOW ERROR

The session identification does not specify a valid session.

Wednesday, June 11, 2014 9:31 PM
  • I ran into this but it was because I was looking at the rdp-tcp# for the session number (under session name), that's not it, its the ID. (add the ID Colum, not session# in task manager if using that)

SESSIONNAME   USERNAME     ID           STATE

Services                                   0             Disc

Console                                    1             Conn

Administrator    2             Disc

rdp-tcp#15        administrator   3             Active

rdp-tcp                                      65536     Listen

You may be having a different issue but since I ran into this I figured I would share just in case

Jedi Hammond Dell Services

• Edited by atkjedi Sunday, July 20, 2014 2:07 AM
    Sunday, July 20, 2014 2:02 AM