none
windows modules installer worker

Question

• Recently I had to format and start over with windows 8 pro due to a flakey video driver. My system starts up fast but in the background, "windows modules installer worker," run for 44 seconds or more after I get to the start screen, "metro." is there something I missed. Windows update has been run until nothing but annoying IE tool bars are left and I don't want them. TIA
    Thursday, November 07, 2013 1:56 PM

Answers

• The "windows modules installer worker" (TiWorker.exe) is used to install/detect updates. So it looks like WindowsUpdate scans for new updates. With KB2871777 it aso compresses the WinSxS folder to free up space. This can take some time.

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Thursday, November 07, 2013 6:39 PM
  • Hi,

To be added, you can check Windows update history, verifying whether there is any failed updates.

What's your mean that “Windows update has been run until nothing but annoying IE tool bars are left and I don't want them”, does this problem as soon as system startup?

If you installed any 3rd IE tool bar, you can disable them in IE settings "Manage add-ons".

If you need further assistance on this particular issue or any other Windows related issue, let us know and we will be glad to assist you.

Roger Lu
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, November 08, 2013 3:46 PM

All replies

• The "windows modules installer worker" (TiWorker.exe) is used to install/detect updates. So it looks like WindowsUpdate scans for new updates. With KB2871777 it aso compresses the WinSxS folder to free up space. This can take some time.

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Thursday, November 07, 2013 6:39 PM
  • Hi,

To be added, you can check Windows update history, verifying whether there is any failed updates.

What's your mean that “Windows update has been run until nothing but annoying IE tool bars are left and I don't want them”, does this problem as soon as system startup?

If you installed any 3rd IE tool bar, you can disable them in IE settings "Manage add-ons".

If you need further assistance on this particular issue or any other Windows related issue, let us know and we will be glad to assist you.

Roger Lu
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, November 08, 2013 3:46 PM