none
DPC latency - NDIS.SYS -

Question

• Hello,

I've spend days with this issue and done tons of research online and cannot find a resolution. 

I can easily replicate this by streaming video online and here is an output from not even 3 minutes;

CONCLUSION
    _________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    Your system appears to be having trouble handling real-time audio and other tasks. You are likely to experience buffer underruns appearing as drop outs, clicks or pops. One or more DPC routines that belong to a driver running in your system appear to be executing for too long. At least one detected problem appears to be network related. In case you are using a WLAN adapter, try disabling it to get better results. One problem may be related to power management, disable CPU throttling settings in Control Panel and BIOS setup. Check for BIOS updates. 
    LatencyMon has been analyzing your system for  0:00:28  (h:mm:ss) on all processors.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    SYSTEM INFORMATION
    Computer name:                                        BASEMENT-PC
    OS version:                                           Windows 7 Service Pack 1, 6.1, build: 7601 (x64)
    Hardware:                                             Z68X-UD3H-B3, Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
    CPU:                                                  GenuineIntel Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz
    Logical processors:                                   4
    Processor groups:                                     1
    RAM:                                                  8109 MB total

CPU SPEED
    Reported CPU speed:                                   3410.0 MHz
    Measured CPU speed:                                   2292.0 MHz (approx.)

Note: reported execution times may be calculated based on a fixed reported CPU speed. Disable variable speed settings like Intel Speed Step and AMD Cool N Quiet in the BIOS setup for more accurate results.

MEASURED INTERRUPT TO USER PROCESS LATENCIES
    The interrupt to process latency reflects the measured interval that a usermode process needed to respond to a hardware request from the moment the interrupt service routine started execution. This includes the scheduling and execution of a DPC routine, the signaling of an event and the waking up of a usermode thread from an idle wait state in response to that event.

Highest measured interrupt to process latency (µs):   1026890.71290
    Average measured interrupt to process latency (µs):   22.754394

Highest measured interrupt to DPC latency (µs):       1026762.790580
    Average measured interrupt to DPC latency (µs):       20.927825

REPORTED ISRs
    Interrupt service routines are routines installed by the OS and device drivers that execute in response to a hardware interrupt signal.

Highest ISR routine execution time (µs):              217.898240
    Driver with highest ISR routine execution time:       ndis.sys - NDIS 6.20 driver, Microsoft Corporation

Highest reported total ISR routine time (%):          1.516305
    Driver with highest ISR total time:                   ndis.sys - NDIS 6.20 driver, Microsoft Corporation

Total time spent in ISRs (%)                          1.774242

ISR count (execution time <250 µs):                   89542
    ISR count (execution time 250-500 µs):                0
    ISR count (execution time 500-999 µs):                0
    ISR count (execution time 1000-1999 µs):              0
    ISR count (execution time 2000-3999 µs):              0
    ISR count (execution time >=4000 µs):                 0

REPORTED DPCs
    DPC routines are part of the interrupt servicing dispatch mechanism and disable the possibility for a process to utilize the CPU while it is interrupted until the DPC has finished execution.

Highest DPC routine execution time (µs):              5353.539003
    Driver with highest DPC routine execution time:       ndis.sys - NDIS 6.20 driver, Microsoft Corporation

Highest reported total DPC routine time (%):          0.257649
    Driver with highest DPC total execution time:         ndis.sys - NDIS 6.20 driver, Microsoft Corporation

Total time spent in DPCs (%)                          0.742536

DPC count (execution time <250 µs):                   216143
    DPC count (execution time 250-500 µs):                0
    DPC count (execution time 500-999 µs):                69
    DPC count (execution time 1000-1999 µs):              0
    DPC count (execution time 2000-3999 µs):              0
    DPC count (execution time >=4000 µs):                 0

REPORTED HARD PAGEFAULTS
    Hard pagefaults are events that get triggered by making use of virtual memory that is not resident in RAM but backed by a memory mapped file on disk. The process of resolving the hard pagefault requires reading in the memory from disk while the process is interrupted and blocked from execution.

NOTE: some processes were hit by hard pagefaults. If these were programs producing audio, they are likely to interrupt the audio stream resulting in dropouts, clicks and pops. Check the Processes tab to see which programs were hit.

Process with highest pagefault count:                 chrome.exe

Total number of hard pagefaults                       148
    Hard pagefault count of hardest hit process:          90
    Highest hard pagefault resolution time (µs):          2645.792669
    Total time spent in hard pagefaults (%):              0.026785
    Number of processes hit:                              4

PER CPU DATA
    CPU 0 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       5.116707
    CPU 0 ISR highest execution time (µs):                217.898240
    CPU 0 ISR total execution time (s):                   2.019442
    CPU 0 ISR count:                                      89542
    CPU 0 DPC highest execution time (µs):                5353.539003
    CPU 0 DPC total execution time (s):                   0.821584
    CPU 0 DPC count:                                      211370
    CPU 1 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       0.373808
    CPU 1 ISR highest execution time (µs):                0.0
    CPU 1 ISR total execution time (s):                   0.0
    CPU 1 ISR count:                                      0
    CPU 1 DPC highest execution time (µs):                164.455718
    CPU 1 DPC total execution time (s):                   0.004153
    CPU 1 DPC count:                                      1067
    CPU 2 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       0.360522
    CPU 2 ISR highest execution time (µs):                0.0
    CPU 2 ISR total execution time (s):                   0.0
    CPU 2 ISR count:                                      0
    CPU 2 DPC highest execution time (µs):                200.432258
    CPU 2 DPC total execution time (s):                   0.008878
    CPU 2 DPC count:                                      1420
    CPU 3 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       0.167079
    CPU 3 ISR highest execution time (µs):                0.0
    CPU 3 ISR total execution time (s):                   0.0
    CPU 3 ISR count:                                      0
    CPU 3 DPC highest execution time (µs):                51.623460
    CPU 3 DPC total execution time (s):                   0.010540
    CPU 3 DPC count:                                      2356

This computer is VERY clean and has no anti-virus/firewalls/software
    All drivers are updated (I'm not sure if the BIOS is updated yet)

SO far from research I've change my SSD to AHCI from IDE after doing some registry changes. MADE IT SO MUCH FASTER not why the original builder of the computer didn't do this in the beginning

I've disabled power setting on the WIFI adapter

When I disable the WIFI it seems to fix the issue but I NEED WIFI - I can't find anywhere online that explains if buying a new WIFI NIC would fix this?

I tried to run in command 'verifier' and an option to select all drivers on the computer - It made me restart but after that it crashed and needed to be set back to a restore point???

Tuesday, August 26, 2014 2:39 AM

Answers

• ILT

As you said and as it shows in your report Chrome is by far causing NDIS (network data monitoring) to spike.  5 of the top 6 processes is Chrome and the 6th is MSE.  I would start by re-installing Chrome, and if nec turn ndu off.

Wanikiya and Dyami--Team Zigzag

Tuesday, August 26, 2014 10:12 PM
  • I've done more gaming/streaming and latencymon is showing latency but it's not freezing or jittering anymore.

So I think now I can confirm that replacing to a new WIFI NIC did in fact fix the issue, but latencymon does infact show some high DPC.

R

• Marked as answer by ilovethailand Monday, September 08, 2014 10:27 PM
    Monday, September 08, 2014 10:27 PM

All replies

• ILT

We may be able to help narrow it down a bit using Windows Performance recorder.

In order to diagnose your problem we need to run Windows Performance toolkit the instructions for which can be found in this wiki
    If you have any questions feel free to ask

Tuesday, August 26, 2014 11:30 AM
  • Uploading it now

Didn't think it would be such a large file, holy

Tuesday, August 26, 2014 9:45 PM
  • https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=CA5FA87FD9C9DD64%21374
    Tuesday, August 26, 2014 10:00 PM
  • ILT

I added a line to the wiki (its a new wiki)

Tuesday, August 26, 2014 10:01 PM
  • ILT

As you said and as it shows in your report Chrome is by far causing NDIS (network data monitoring) to spike.  5 of the top 6 processes is Chrome and the 6th is MSE.  I would start by re-installing Chrome, and if nec turn ndu off.

Tuesday, August 26, 2014 10:12 PM
  • I noticed chrome as well looking at the graph so I tried using a different browser.

Happens in firefox as well. It only happens when streaming video/audio or gaming online.

Tuesday, August 26, 2014 10:28 PM
  • NDU looks like a windows 8 service as well
    Thursday, August 28, 2014 5:06 AM
  • ILT

Both are windows services related to networking.  SInce this only happens when stream we need some further network info.

!-have you reinstalled your flash plugin, Silverlight, or any other plug in

2-what is the connection speed that your ISP is supposed to be providing you

3-Have you tried booting into safe mode with networking to see if the problem exists?

You might want to upload another trace

Thursday, August 28, 2014 11:39 AM
  • @OP: you wrote that your wi-fi device is suspected - but never have mentioned the model/make. Also - does it work better in other places (with a different router)?  Can you replace it?

-- pa

Thursday, August 28, 2014 2:20 PM
  • DWA-552 Extreme Xtreme N - Drivers updated

Computer isn't mobile and I'm on a fiber connection 10MB/DL 5MB/Up verified and tested recently

Router is within 4 meters of this computer.

I have 2 laptops connected to the SAME router and NEVER have this issue with streaming.

This happens with games as well and playing videos LOCAL to the HDD so I'm not sure if flash could be suspect but my flash has been updated recently. 

Thursday, August 28, 2014 5:47 PM
  • I restarted in safe mode and was hard to tell if the problem persisted

was unable to open any DPC latency tools to monitor.... I did stream a bunch of video/audio but of course there was no audio drivers. 

Friday, August 29, 2014 6:45 AM
  • This is interesting. On the MS site, this device is listed as compatible - but majority of user feedback shows that they have problem with it.

-- pa

Saturday, August 30, 2014 10:01 AM
  • So I disabled the WIFI card and hooked up directly to the switch and I'm not seeing NDIS.sys coming up as latency and after light testing it appears I'm not freezing up for the second or so randomly.

I think I"ll buy another WIFI card and see what happens.

LatencyMon does show now

Your system appears to be having trouble handling real-time audio and other tasks. You are likely to experience buffer underruns appearing as drop outs, clicks or pops. One problem may be related to power management, disable CPU throttling settings in Control Panel and BIOS setup. Check for BIOS updates. 
    LatencyMon has been analyzing your system for  0:03:51  (h:mm:ss) on all processors.

SYSTEM INFORMATION
    Computer name:                                        BASEMENT-PC
    OS version:                                           Windows 7 Service Pack 1, 6.1, build: 7601 (x64)
    Hardware:                                             Z68X-UD3H-B3, Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
    CPU:                                                  GenuineIntel Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz
    Logical processors:                                   4
    Processor groups:                                     1
    RAM:                                                  8109 MB total

CPU SPEED
    Reported CPU speed:                                   3410.0 MHz
    Measured CPU speed:                                   2280.0 MHz (approx.)

Note: reported execution times may be calculated based on a fixed reported CPU speed. Disable variable speed settings like Intel Speed Step and AMD Cool N Quiet in the BIOS setup for more accurate results.

MEASURED INTERRUPT TO USER PROCESS LATENCIES
    The interrupt to process latency reflects the measured interval that a usermode process needed to respond to a hardware request from the moment the interrupt service routine started execution. This includes the scheduling and execution of a DPC routine, the signaling of an event and the waking up of a usermode thread from an idle wait state in response to that event.

Highest measured interrupt to process latency (µs):   10308.587998
    Average measured interrupt to process latency (µs):   1.961673

Highest measured interrupt to DPC latency (µs):       533.311552
    Average measured interrupt to DPC latency (µs):       0.726360

REPORTED ISRs
    Interrupt service routines are routines installed by the OS and device drivers that execute in response to a hardware interrupt signal.

Highest ISR routine execution time (µs):              185.646628
    Driver with highest ISR routine execution time:       dxgkrnl.sys - DirectX Graphics Kernel, Microsoft Corporation

Highest reported total ISR routine time (%):          0.138654
    Driver with highest ISR total time:                   dxgkrnl.sys - DirectX Graphics Kernel, Microsoft Corporation

Total time spent in ISRs (%)                          0.191304

ISR count (execution time <250 µs):                   333205
    ISR count (execution time 250-500 µs):                0
    ISR count (execution time 500-999 µs):                0
    ISR count (execution time 1000-1999 µs):              0
    ISR count (execution time 2000-3999 µs):              0
    ISR count (execution time >=4000 µs):                 0

REPORTED DPCs
    DPC routines are part of the interrupt servicing dispatch mechanism and disable the possibility for a process to utilize the CPU while it is interrupted until the DPC has finished execution.

Highest DPC routine execution time (µs):              537.933138
    Driver with highest DPC routine execution time:       nvlddmkm.sys - NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 340.52 , NVIDIA Corporation

Highest reported total DPC routine time (%):          0.078815
    Driver with highest DPC total execution time:         USBPORT.SYS - USB 1.1 & 2.0 Port Driver, Microsoft Corporation

Total time spent in DPCs (%)                          0.362878

DPC count (execution time <250 µs):                   1825222
    DPC count (execution time 250-500 µs):                0
    DPC count (execution time 500-999 µs):                10
    DPC count (execution time 1000-1999 µs):              0
    DPC count (execution time 2000-3999 µs):              0
    DPC count (execution time >=4000 µs):                 0

REPORTED HARD PAGEFAULTS
    Hard pagefaults are events that get triggered by making use of virtual memory that is not resident in RAM but backed by a memory mapped file on disk. The process of resolving the hard pagefault requires reading in the memory from disk while the process is interrupted and blocked from execution.

NOTE: some processes were hit by hard pagefaults. If these were programs producing audio, they are likely to interrupt the audio stream resulting in dropouts, clicks and pops. Check the Processes tab to see which programs were hit.

Process with highest pagefault count:                 chrome.exe

Total number of hard pagefaults                       1559
    Hard pagefault count of hardest hit process:          939
    Highest hard pagefault resolution time (µs):          249817.816129
    Total time spent in hard pagefaults (%):              0.436725
    Number of processes hit:                              12

PER CPU DATA
    CPU 0 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       12.339137
    CPU 0 ISR highest execution time (µs):                185.646628
    CPU 0 ISR total execution time (s):                   1.769483
    CPU 0 ISR count:                                      333205
    CPU 0 DPC highest execution time (µs):                537.933138
    CPU 0 DPC total execution time (s):                   2.342733
    CPU 0 DPC count:                                      1394787
    CPU 1 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       5.371672
    CPU 1 ISR highest execution time (µs):                0.0
    CPU 1 ISR total execution time (s):                   0.0
    CPU 1 ISR count:                                      0
    CPU 1 DPC highest execution time (µs):                210.444575
    CPU 1 DPC total execution time (s):                   0.574316
    CPU 1 DPC count:                                      296645
    CPU 2 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       2.886236
    CPU 2 ISR highest execution time (µs):                0.0
    CPU 2 ISR total execution time (s):                   0.0
    CPU 2 ISR count:                                      0
    CPU 2 DPC highest execution time (µs):                166.552786
    CPU 2 DPC total execution time (s):                   0.056599
    CPU 2 DPC count:                                      16722
    CPU 3 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       1.892698
    CPU 3 ISR highest execution time (µs):                0.0
    CPU 3 ISR total execution time (s):                   0.0
    CPU 3 ISR count:                                      0
    CPU 3 DPC highest execution time (µs):                178.875953
    CPU 3 DPC total execution time (s):                   0.382826
    CPU 3 DPC count:                                      117078

Sunday, August 31, 2014 6:17 PM
  • So, I've replaced my card with a PCE-N53 PCI-E Wireless-N600 and it's seems to have cleared the NDIS.SYS problems and I think this is now resolved.
    Sunday, August 31, 2014 10:37 PM
  • It appears to have came back!

R

Monday, September 01, 2014 1:07 AM
  • How? What changed? Do you remember installing some new software or changing network or system configuration - especially power saving ?
    Note that NDIS.sys is a wrapper of all physical net cards, so any interrupt latency actually is caused by the net cards and their drivers.
    • Edited by Pavel A Monday, September 08, 2014 7:23 PM
    Monday, September 08, 2014 7:20 PM
  • I've done more gaming/streaming and latencymon is showing latency but it's not freezing or jittering anymore.

So I think now I can confirm that replacing to a new WIFI NIC did in fact fix the issue, but latencymon does infact show some high DPC.

R

• Marked as answer by ilovethailand Monday, September 08, 2014 10:27 PM
    Monday, September 08, 2014 10:27 PM