none
Problem with default font changing after setting via Group Policy on random machines.

Question

• Recently we upgraded about 300 users to Office 2010.

We had to set the default font in Outlook 2010 to Arial 10. We did this by exporting the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Common\MailSettings key from one machine this was set on and distributing this to all users each day by Group Policy. We're finding that on a random basis the default fonts changes to something else, usually Arial 11 or Calibri 11. Has anyone experienced anything like this or similar before?

Kind regards,

Rob

Monday, July 29, 2013 12:11 PM

All replies

• 1st, please check if the the registry key has been deployed to the users with the problem;

2nd, when create MailSettings key, have you also modified the setting - "Always use my font"? So that it will generate the DWORD Value ThemeFont = "2", which will enforce the font you have set in the MailSettings key; without it, if the users use any other theme with other font, your registry settings wouldn't take effect;

Max Meng
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, July 30, 2013 9:37 AM
  • Thank you for the help.

No the "Always use my font" wasn't set, we'll deploy this setting via GP and see how it goes.

Tuesday, July 30, 2013 1:40 PM
  • Rather than create a new thread for the same issue I will add an update here.

I first thought that the MailSettings entry was being corrupted or something so I had GP delete the MailSettings entry and re-apply. Few days were fine then I had reports of the problem again, Arial (+Body) 11 issue. I checked the MailSettings registry and GP had populated the MailSettings fine. If I restarted Outlook the settings were picked up by Outlook 2010 and the Fonts were Arial 10 again.

Early last week I've removed Group Policy from the mix. Just wanted to apply setting manually and see what would happen over a few days.

I went on to 6 machines that were randomly getting the Fonts defaulting back to Arial (+Body) 11 and done the following:

1. I disabled the GPO that applied the MailSettings reg entry.

2. Closed Outlook 2010 on the machine I'm working on.

3. I exported (for reference) the MailSettings registry.

4. I deleted the MailSettings registry entry.

5. I launched Outlook 2010. Default Fonts for Compose and Reply were Arial (+Body) and Plain was Calibri.

6. Set the Compose, Reply and Plain to Arial 10, I purposely set other options like regular, colour black, I even set items in the advanced tab to defaults.

7. I closed and reopened Outlook to make sure the options would stick, it did.

8. I closed Outlook and exported the MailSettings for reference. The MailSettings entry was populated with:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Common\MailSettings]
    "Template"
    "MarkCommentsWith"
    "ComposeFontComplex"
    "ComposeFontSimple"
    "NewTheme"
    "ReplyFontComplex"
    "ReplyFontSimple"
    "TextFontComplex"
    "TextFontSimple"

2 of the users today said that thier Outlook 2010 Font had reverted back to Arial 11 (+Body), one user had set them manually before I had a chance to look.

The second user wouldn't allow me access to the machine but I remoted on to the user's registry and the following the registry entry (MailSettings) only had the following:

[HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-*****\Software\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Common\MailSettings]

"Template"=hex(2):00,00
    "MarkCommentsWith"=hex:00,00
    "NewTheme"=""

What would change this MailSettings entry to this degree? most of the settings are wiped

The "Always use my font" setting is aplied to everyone via GP.

Thursday, August 15, 2013 10:48 AM