Has anyone used NiNite in there task sequence?

Question

• Hey everyone. 

At my company we have a basic image standard applications that are on my WIM image (  java, flash, itunes, foxit reader, chrome, skype ) 

whats happening is that I have to update my WIM all the time to keep up with the applicaiton updates so I was curious if I use NiNite as part of my applicaiton install.   ( rigt I only have office 2010 and our AV in the applications to install ) 

what if I use the NiNite installer, it will download all the new updated applications versus getting pop up windows for software updates. 

any help pointing me in the right direction would be appreciated 

thanks 

Wednesday, October 02, 2013 7:12 PM

All replies

• If you're using MDT just drop your microsoft updates in the packages node and they get deployed automagically.

Most companies I've seen create some sort of scripted solution for patching post build.

Blog: http://scriptimus.wordpress.com

Wednesday, October 02, 2013 8:10 PM
  • This will be a bare metal machine getting its first image / reimaged. 

So it will be getting a base image and I would need to install all the essential applications ( java, flash, itunes, foxit reader, chrome, skype )  since those are updated on a weekly bases it seems like, I would like them to get the most up to date application during the time of the imaging. 

does that make sense?  

Wednesday, October 02, 2013 9:25 PM
  • I thought that nNite only allows for silent installation via the "pro" plan which is $20 a month <yuck>

Keith Garner - keithga.wordpress.com

Thursday, October 03, 2013 1:04 AM
  • you can use the .exe that they supply over and over for free ( it just downloads the applications versus using a cache download for multiple clients )

I just need to know how to run the .exe

Thursday, October 03, 2013 5:55 PM
  • I don't understand your question then.

If you want to run nNite, just download the program from the web site and execute the program.

Thursday, October 03, 2013 10:45 PM
  • but I want to do it with no user interaction ( me going to the site, downloading it, and clicking the icon ) 

I want MDT to run the .exe 

Friday, October 04, 2013 2:07 PM
  • Well, as I mention above, nNite requires you to purchase the "pro" version to run silently (no user interaction).

Friday, October 04, 2013 4:34 PM
  • I use Ninite in my MDT.  First I download the file into a folder on my desktop.  I create a batch file that opens ninite in a new window.  The batch file then starts a timer for 15 minutes or so(depending on what all you need to install).  The batch file then runs taskkill on ninite.exe.

Put the batch file in the same folder as the ninite exe. import the folder as an application.  set the batch file as the command line for the app.

Wednesday, April 16, 2014 10:16 PM