none
Task Scheduler: Stop the task if it runs longer than: - Triggers and Settings

Question

• I have setup a task that is set to run daily and repeats every hour using a single trigger.  The task takes about 10 min to complete per run.  I also have Do Not Start New Instance set.

What is the difference between the "Stop the task if it runs longer than" setting in the Triggers vs Settings tab?

Which takes precedence?  Does one setting affect the task that you create and one affect the tasks that are repeated through the task that has been created?

I was planning to set the one in the Triggers configuration to 30 minutes and the one in the Settings tab to 1 day.  Would this be the correct setting?

I've searched and have not found a good explanation.

Anyone here with experience on how this is suppose to work?

Thanks

Saturday, June 22, 2013 2:12 PM

Answers

• In general terms I believe the difference comes down to one relating to the specific trigger and the other relating to the task as a whole.

So if you had two triggers configured you could either set the option from within Settings, in which case the same duration applies to both triggers, or you could set individual durations for each trigger. So in your case with only one trigger it doesn't really make a difference which one you set it on.

What I'm not sure about is how it handles conflicts between the two, for instance a specific Trigger config may override general a general confirm in Settings, or perhaps it's the other way around.

Saturday, June 22, 2013 2:32 PM