none
MDT and Adobe Acrobat Standard AND Reader 11- Unattended setup please

Question

• Hello yet again gang.

Looking for unattended install of Acrobat Standard 11.x AND Reader (separately) in my Win 7 image. I've searched without an answer, so I'll give it a go here.

Just to stave off any confusion, I'd like to work on STANDARD 11x first please...

My Quiet Install Command is :  AcroStan.msi DISABLE_ARM_SERVICE_INSTALL=1

I took this off the web strictly to get started, and it does kick off the installer, but again, it's all manual clicking from here.  I'd like to disable the ARM service too though, and watch its progress as well.. Are their any other switches or settings I need to add or that you recommend?

BWB

Monday, December 31, 2012 7:09 PM

Answers

• Hello hahaman...  Forgive me, didn't realize this thread was still active....  Please note I am quite a rookie at this.  I can only tell you the above steps worked for me.  That is; I downloaded the "Adobe Customization Wizard XI", then opened it, made some pretty basic settings changes (like: Supress EULA, reboot, created shortcuts etc).. then saved the TRANSFORM file, moved it into the same directory as the software folder (C:\Deployment Share\Applications\Adobe....). Then I applied the command above to match my file name (keep it simple) and then added the Quiet Install Command line; msiexec /i AcroRead.msi TRANSFORMS="AcroRead.mst" /q and that's it... testing went fine.

I do admit however that I'm hving an issue right now with Adobe STD failing after I successfully deployed it recently, but that happened to my Lotus Notes install too, which I fixed yesterday, thankfully)

Best of luck!

Friday, February 15, 2013 3:15 PM

All replies

• if you want to silent install a msi you should run: msiexec.exe /i xxx.msi /qn, in your case msiexec.exe /i AcroStan.msi DISABLE_ARM_SERVICE_INSTALL=1 /qn
    Monday, December 31, 2012 7:13 PM
  • msiexec.exe /i AcroStan.msi DISABLE_ARM_SERVICE_INSTALL=1 /qn

This didn't appear to run... as it brought me straight to the PAUSE of my batch file... Can we add an error log like we did in IBM Notes?...c:\Temp\Notes853.log /qb+

Monday, December 31, 2012 7:47 PM
  • If you have an MSI, the basic can be:

msiexec.exe /i AcroRead.msi /QB-! /L*V %Temp%\Reader.log

remember, you have no C:\temp...

Monday, December 31, 2012 8:15 PM
  • hello bwb

i used at the Adobe website for some information and to get the right installer that can be used unattended as well.

what i use myself is "msiexec.exe /i acroread.msi /qb" which is just added as application in mdt where working dir is set to where the file resides.

you can of course  change that to your own needs

if your looking for some more information about unattended installing through MSI take a look here, it also has some examples.

hope this helps.

Wednesday, January 02, 2013 8:27 AM
  • Hi gang. Update: it begins to start, then fails about 15 seconds in. Checking my reader.log is like looking for a needle in a haystack... But I do believe this particular part of it.. (My apologies for dumping this here, especially if it's not the error I need to address)

******* CommandLine: **********
    MSI (s) (B4:BC) [09:19:49:625]: Machine policy value 'DisableUserInstalls' is 0
    MSI (s) (B4:BC) [09:19:49:671]: Machine policy value 'LimitSystemRestoreCheckpointing' is 0
    MSI (s) (B4:BC) [09:19:49:671]: Note: 1: 1715 2: Adobe Acrobat XI Standard
    MSI (s) (B4:BC) [09:19:49:671]: Calling SRSetRestorePoint API. dwRestorePtType: 0, dwEventType: 102, llSequenceNumber: 0, szDescription: "Installed Adobe Acrobat XI Standard.".
    MSI (s) (B4:BC) [09:19:49:671]: The call to SRSetRestorePoint API failed. Returned status: 0. GetLastError() returned: 127
    MSI (s) (B4:BC) [09:19:49:687]: File will have security applied from OpCode.
    MSI (s) (B4:BC) [09:19:49:765]: SOFTWARE RESTRICTION POLICY: Verifying package --> 'C:\DeploymentShare\Applications\Adobe Acrobat Standard 11.x\AcroStan.msi' against software restriction policy
    MSI (s) (B4:BC) [09:19:49:765]: SOFTWARE RESTRICTION POLICY: C:\DeploymentShare\Applications\Adobe Acrobat Standard 11.x\AcroStan.msi has a digital signature
    MSI (s) (B4:BC) [09:19:49:937]: SOFTWARE RESTRICTION POLICY: C:\DeploymentShare\Applications\Adobe Acrobat Standard 11.x\AcroStan.msi is permitted to run at the 'unrestricted' authorization level.
    MSI (s) (B4:BC) [09:19:49:937]: End dialog not enabled
    MSI (s) (B4:BC) [09:19:49:937]: Original package ==> C:\DeploymentShare\Applications\Adobe Acrobat Standard 11.x\AcroStan.msi
    MSI (s) (B4:BC) [09:19:49:937]: Package we're running from ==> C:\Windows\Installer\2d2d9704.msi
    MSI (s) (B4:BC) [09:19:49:968]: APPCOMPAT: Compatibility mode property overrides found.
    MSI (s) (B4:BC) [09:19:49:984]: APPCOMPAT: looking for appcompat database entry with ProductCode '{AC76BA86-1033-FFFF-BA7E-000000000006}'.
    MSI (s) (B4:BC) [09:19:49:984]: APPCOMPAT: no matching ProductCode found in database.
    MSI (s) (B4:BC) [09:19:50:125]: MSCOREE not loaded loading copy from system32
    MSI (s) (B4:BC) [09:19:50:203]: Machine policy value 'TransformsSecure' is 1
    MSI (s) (B4:BC) [09:19:50:203]: Machine policy value 'DisablePatch' is 0
    MSI (s) (B4:BC) [09:19:50:203]: Machine policy value 'AllowLockdownPatch' is 0
    MSI (s) (B4:BC) [09:19:50:203]: Machine policy value 'DisableLUAPatching' is 0
    MSI (s) (B4:BC) [09:19:50:203]: Machine policy value 'DisableFlyWeightPatching' is 0
    MSI (s) (B4:BC) [09:19:50:437]: APPCOMPAT: looking for appcompat database entry with ProductCode '{AC76BA86-1033-FFFF-BA7E-000000000006}'.
    MSI (s) (B4:BC) [09:19:50:437]: APPCOMPAT: no matching ProductCode found in database.
    MSI (s) (B4:BC) [09:19:50:437]: Transforms are not secure.
    MSI (s) (B4:BC) [09:19:50:437]: PROPERTY CHANGE: Adding MsiLogFileLocation property. Its value is 'C:\Users\ADMINI~1.APP\AppData\Local\Temp\2\Reader.log'.
    MSI (s) (B4:BC) [09:19:50:437]: Command Line: CURRENTDIRECTORY=C:\DeploymentShare\Applications\Adobe Acrobat Standard 11.x CLIENTUILEVEL=2 CLIENTPROCESSID=2152
    MSI (s) (B4:BC) [09:19:50:437]: PROPERTY CHANGE: Adding PackageCode property. Its value is '{A259B910-24B5-4077-83E1-A6C43F750FDB}'.
    MSI (s) (B4:BC) [09:19:50:437]: Product Code passed to Engine.Initialize: 

Before I dump the whole log file here (if needed), should I be concerned about security, namely if my server name or i.p. addy is broadcast within the log?

Friday, January 04, 2013 3:09 PM
  •  /qb is a silent switch.

Try same cmd without it and see if you get any errors?

msiexec /i nameofmsi DISABLE_ARM_SERVICE_INSTALL=1

or try it even without "DISABLE_ARM_SERVICE_INSTALL=1" and see if you get good install and the try it with "DISABLE_ARM_SERVICE_INSTALL=1"

Friday, January 04, 2013 4:53 PM
  • This is what I use. I might suggest starting from the beginning to get he complete picture, it's a good read.

http://www.adobe.com/devnet-docs/acrobatetk/tools/AdminGuide/planning.html

Friday, January 04, 2013 6:21 PM
  • Removed the /qb-! . So it now reads:

msiexec.exe /i AcroStan.msi /L*V %Temp%\Reader.log
    pause

I then ran it again where it launched the "NEXT" window to accept the install, so I did, and was presented with the error below:

(Installing Acrobat via MSI will not install Microsoft Visual C++2010 SP1 (x64) runtime. Without this, some application functionality will not work. (left off "Press OK, or ignore etc)

Perhaps I need to add this to the image as well on top of my issues getting this package to work.

Friday, January 04, 2013 7:05 PM
  • Great read ....but the link to the 11.x tool is dead.  And that's on Adobes site, not some outdated 2007 article...

The tool looks great, so I'll continue to look for 11.x

Friday, January 04, 2013 7:09 PM
  • Found it, installed it, but can't use for another hour or so...meeting time.
    Friday, January 04, 2013 7:22 PM
  • I would recomend using the Acrobat Customization Wizard at http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=5515

It is a tool that will walk you through creating a transform to install Adobe Reader, Acrobat Standard and Acrobat Pro.

Friday, January 04, 2013 8:22 PM
  • Ok, I installed it, and made some changes, and well, it looks like it should do backflips for me, but I'm not sure how to "get it to run" the file I created.  Shouldn't it be the "new" AcroStan.MSI all by itself now? With no other switches or anything?  Am I missing the obvious here?

Again, I apologize here.

Friday, January 04, 2013 9:14 PM
  • Launch the customixation Wizard, make your changes, generate a transform, then save the package.  That should modify the setup.ini to call the MST.  You can then deploy using the setup.exe.

Here is a link to the help: http://www.adobe.com/devnet-docs/acrobatetk/tools/Wizard/index.html

Monday, January 07, 2013 1:32 PM
  • Hmm. That's what I've done. Made the changes, saved the transform (in the Deployment Share/Applications/Adobe Acrobat Standard 11.x folder (right?)

I see the original Acrostan.msi, as well as my Acrobat Std 1.mst file (and the batch file I use to test it).

So my Quiet Install command should be "setup.exe".....  Is what I have now incorrect?   [ setup.exe /L*V %Temp%\Reader.log ] or can I even drop the remaining switches?

UPDATE:

It launched, and immediately began installing the required Visual C++ etc..(which is now completed)  but everything after needs to be clicked manually again... Perhaps it's ignoring my MST file still?

Thanks again.

• Edited by BWB Rob Base Monday, January 07, 2013 5:31 PM updates
    Monday, January 07, 2013 5:28 PM
  • Try using "setup.exe /sAll" and see if it gives you different results.

-Nick O.

Monday, January 07, 2013 11:55 PM
  • At first I thought it wasn't doing anything...... then it asked me to reboot.. duh the /s switch.  I'll be darned. So yes, I see Adobe Std 11 now installed... (Hey, what about READER? I need a separate file in that Application folder, correct?

Now here's my question. Did it just ignore the ""Adobe Customization Wizard XI"" MST file I created and installed everything?

Monday, January 14, 2013 8:13 PM
  • When you save the package, the setup.ini should be modified to tell the setup.exe to call the transform.  Here are the contents of my setup.ini for Reader.

[Startup]
    RequireOS=Windows 2000
    RequireMSI=3.0
    RequireIE=6.0.2600.0
    CmdLine=/sall /rs

[Product]
    msi=AcroRead.msi
    CmdLine=TRANSFORMS="AcroRead.mst"

[Windows 2000]
    PlatformID=2
    MajorVersion=5
    ServicePackMajor=4

[MSI Updater]
    Path=http://ardownload.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/win/8.x/8.0/misc/WindowsInstaller-KB893803-v2-x86.exe

Tuesday, January 15, 2013 2:00 PM
  • After using the customization tool I just use the msi and mst files with the command line of:

msiexec /i AcroRead.msi TRANSFORMS="AcroRead.mst" /q

Tuesday, January 15, 2013 5:07 PM
  • Did you try using msiexec instead of the setup.exe?

I am installing Acrobat Reader this way with Transformations and am having no issue.
    Using msiexec is so uniform, very rare that issues occur.

Tuesday, January 15, 2013 7:28 PM
  • Ah there ya go!  "msiexec /i AcroStan.msi TRANSFORMS="AcroStan.mst" /q" worked for me.... and it appears to be my options installed as well (hence the Transform= line I'm sure.

Because I am running/testing the STD version as opposed to Reader, but will now do Reader this way too...

Created a new Transform file for Reader, followed the steps, and it works too. (Imagine that) 

Thanks to everyone who participated in this thread!

• Edited by BWB Rob Base Wednesday, January 16, 2013 7:07 PM
    Wednesday, January 16, 2013 6:41 PM
  • Dear all,
    my script file as below.
    Can anyone correct me ?

;!@Install@!UTF-8!
    Title="Adobe Acrobat Reader X11"
    BeginPrompt="Install Acrobat Reader 11?"

FinishMessage="Acrobat Reader X 11 install is finished"

AutoInstall="msiexec /i AcroRead.msi TRANSFORMS="AcroRead.mst" /q
    ;!@InstallEnd@!

I was download Acrobat readerx11 and extract the file directory and using Customiztion wizard create .mst.
    and i will using 7zip + my scriptfile.txt

copy /b script.txt + reader11.7z NewReaderx11.exe

But, i was fail to run the exe...
    kindly help and advise...i am new....

Tuesday, February 05, 2013 6:00 AM
  • Hi BWB,
    You able done it?
    could you share?

great thanks...

Tuesday, February 05, 2013 6:03 AM
  • Hello hahaman...  Forgive me, didn't realize this thread was still active....  Please note I am quite a rookie at this.  I can only tell you the above steps worked for me.  That is; I downloaded the "Adobe Customization Wizard XI", then opened it, made some pretty basic settings changes (like: Supress EULA, reboot, created shortcuts etc).. then saved the TRANSFORM file, moved it into the same directory as the software folder (C:\Deployment Share\Applications\Adobe....). Then I applied the command above to match my file name (keep it simple) and then added the Quiet Install Command line; msiexec /i AcroRead.msi TRANSFORMS="AcroRead.mst" /q and that's it... testing went fine.

I do admit however that I'm hving an issue right now with Adobe STD failing after I successfully deployed it recently, but that happened to my Lotus Notes install too, which I fixed yesterday, thankfully)

Best of luck!

Friday, February 15, 2013 3:15 PM
  • Thanks you BWB.

Forgive me on late reply.

As i was focus on USMT part now.

Take care and goodluck always!
    Monday, April 01, 2013 4:18 AM