none
Changing Data Source Order in PowerPivot

Question

• Where can I set the "Data Source Order" when using Power Pivot?  Right now when I use that sort order on attributes in my pivot table field list it orders things according to when it was created, with all columns listed first in order of creation, and then all measures listed in order of creation.  Is there any place in Power Pivot to change this "Data Source Order"?  If I had built my model in Visual Studio and made an Analysis Services Tabular model, is there a place to set it there?
    Tuesday, September 03, 2013 9:13 PM

Answers

• Hi Scott,

As you described above, if we use "Data Source Oder" in the PivotTable Field windows, the fields will always use use default order of columns in the table. Please see the screenshot below:

This doesn't work for calculated columns in the PowerPivot model if we use "Data Source Order", it's make sense. So,  I think we should consider using "Sort A to Z" option in the PivotTable Field list Windows.

Best Regards,

Elvis Long
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, September 10, 2013 9:23 AM

All replies

• Hello Scott,

What exactly for a "Data Source Order" do you mean? See also this thread: Sort Data Source Order

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

• Proposed as answer by vr.babu Wednesday, September 04, 2013 7:06 AM
    Wednesday, September 04, 2013 7:06 AM
    Answerer
  • Olaf,

That thread is in regards to the order of members in a pivot table.  I am looking at changing the order of items in the PivotTable Fields window when building a pivottable.  Below are some screen shots to demonstrate what I mean.

The first picture is with things sorted according to the "Data Source Order."  The second picture is with the same sort option, but after having changed the column order in PowerPivot.  

Changing the order of columns in PowerPivot doesn't change the Data Source Order.  Adding new columns or Measures to the table in the model always just adds it to the end.

So I am trying to figure our how to configure the Data Source Order that PowerPivot passes through to the PivotTable window.

Friday, September 06, 2013 5:27 PM
  • I did realize that I can change the order of the original columns by changing the order of columns in the linked table.  This doesn't change the order things appear in within PowerPivot, but it does change the order of things when viewing fields in a PivotTable Fields window.

But I still can't figure out how to change the order of calculated columns or measures that I add to the PowerPivot model; those fields still just appear in order of creation at the end of the list.

Friday, September 06, 2013 5:30 PM
  • Hi Scott,

As you described above, if we use "Data Source Oder" in the PivotTable Field windows, the fields will always use use default order of columns in the table. Please see the screenshot below:

This doesn't work for calculated columns in the PowerPivot model if we use "Data Source Order", it's make sense. So,  I think we should consider using "Sort A to Z" option in the PivotTable Field list Windows.

Best Regards,

Elvis Long
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, September 10, 2013 9:23 AM