none
Cannot user Power BI Excel Web App for workbook with External Connection to Analysis Services

Question

• In the Power BI preview I'm attempting to load a worksheet that contains an external connection to an Analysis Services cube hosted on-premise. I've added the same connection string used in my Excel workbook to the Power BI data sources and stored to necessary credentials. The worksheet is simply an Excel data connection to Analysis Services accesses as a Pivot table (so no custom MDX - just drag and drop functionality of the measures and dimensions stored in Analysis Services). The worksheet uploads fine to my Power BI repository and I can view the worksheet. However, when I try to change filters in one of the pivot tables I get an error that says: 

We were unable to refresh one or more data connections in this workbook. 
    The following connections failed to refresh: 

Is it possible to set up the workbook to enable on-demand refresh? So every time a user that accesses the workbook through the browser can change filters, slicers, etc? 

Monday, October 07, 2013 6:24 PM

Answers

All replies

• That approach won't work. You'll need to bring the data into the model to be able to interact with it.

Cheers

John

Tuesday, October 08, 2013 3:15 AM
  • At this time Power BI supports only embedded models as John mentioned, meaning Power Pivot.
    Connection to external models (such as SSAS) are not supported at this time, so refresh won't work as well.

Thanks,
    Meital

Tuesday, October 08, 2013 6:55 AM
  • seems there are two questions:

1. Is it possible to set up the workbook to enable on-demand refresh? So every time a user that accesses the workbook through the browser can change filters, slicers, etc? 

>Yes. you can do interactive browsing, and refresh data.

2. why you failed to refresh?

currently power bi doest not support connection to analysis service yet. Only supports  connection to sql server for the moment.

Tuesday, October 08, 2013 8:54 AM
  • Hi Hubery,
    any news about when PowerBI will support connections to SSAS? and in specific to Tabular Data Models?

Thank you,
    Roberto

Tuesday, March 25, 2014 11:42 AM
  • Hi Roberto,

SSAS support is in our roadmap, though I don't have any specific date to share.

However, it would help us better prioritize if you could share more about your requirement.

Do you want your workbook with connection to SSAS get refreshed every day automatically?

Do you want to modify (like change filters, add more fields to Pivot Table) your workbook interactively in the cloud?

Hubery

Wednesday, March 26, 2014 3:45 AM
  • Dear Hubery,
    the very first priority is having the data refreshed on a daily basis.

Right after it is the need of modifying the workbooks in order to give our users a coherent experience.

Thank you,
    Roberto

Thursday, March 27, 2014 11:18 AM
  • Thanks again for the infomation, I will forward your feedback to the feature team so they can take that into consideration.

Hubery

Friday, March 28, 2014 6:09 AM