none
Can we add more than one CSV in Hype-v Replica Broker Settings for DR Site ?

Question

• Hi Team,

By default we have option to add single CSV in Hyper-V Replication Settings for ReplicationBroker.

Can we add more than one CSV once it get full ?

Kirpal Singh

Friday, September 13, 2013 9:05 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Kirpal,

If you are referring to the "Authorization and storage" setting - then you either have the option to authorize all authenticated servers (or) authorize a specific server/group of server. The first option allows you to specify only one storage option. The second one allows you to create multiple entries (at a primary server granularity if required) and specify different volumes.

You also have the option to migrate your replica VM storage (VHD/x) to an alternate location - replication will continue without any further manual intervention.

Praveen

Friday, September 13, 2013 12:55 PM
  • Hi Parveen,

Do u have any link to explore the same ?

Kirpal Singh

Friday, September 13, 2013 2:13 PM
  • Saturday, September 14, 2013 2:22 AM
  • Saturday, September 14, 2013 2:23 AM
  • Hi Parveen,

Thanks for Sharing nice article but there is no clarity.

Suppose, if i want to do hyper-v replica of VM Machines from Primary Site to DR SIte, domain is "Contoso.com" at both end and Volume will be 1 -10 at DR Site, and Size will be 2 TB each.

So, i can use mentioned parameters ?

Primary Server             Storage Location          Trust Group

*.constoso.com            C:\ClusterStorage\Volume1  TrustGroup1

*.contoso.com              C:\ClusterStorage\Volume2  TrustGroup2

*.Contoso.com             C:\ClusterStorage\Volume10  TrustGroup10

and how i define which VM machine will go to which Volume at DR Site?

Again thanks for taking interest in my queries.

Kirpal Singh

Saturday, September 14, 2013 5:58 AM
  • Storage Migration is different Topic, I know it and have already done it.

In OS 2012 , we can do VM Migration with storage migration between different clusters.

Nice Video.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/video/jj613423.aspx

Kirpal Singh

Saturday, September 14, 2013 6:11 AM
  • Hi Kirpal,

The intent of the authorization table to segregate replica data based on the source server and not based on the VM. So the authorization table as mentioned in your example will not work as the primary server is not differentiated across the three entries.

You don't have anyway to specify the authorization entry for each VM - with whatever little I understand of your deployment, I think you will be better off to migrate the storage of your *replica VM* after replication is enabled. Hyper-V Replica will continue to work fine on the replicating VM even after the storage migration is done as the authorization table is looked into only during the initial VM placement. Would that help?

Regards

Praveen

Saturday, September 14, 2013 12:53 PM
  • No, it will not help, i think we have to wait, Microsoft should introduce it in Windows 2012 R2.

My Query is:

Suppose, if i want to do hyper-v replica of VM Machines from Primary Site to DR SIte, domain is "Contoso.com" at both end and Volume will be 1 -10 at DR Site, and Size will be 2 TB each.

So, i can use mentioned parameters ?

*.constoso.com            C:\ClusterStorage\Volume1  TrustGroup1

*.contoso.com              C:\ClusterStorage\Volume2  TrustGroup2

*.Contoso.com             C:\ClusterStorage\Volume10  TrustGroup10

Kirpal Singh

Monday, September 16, 2013 11:46 AM
  • Hi Kirpal,

The first row in the mapping which you have outlined in your mail should be interpreted as "any replication traffic for a VM from an authenticated server in *.contoso.com should be redirected to c:\clusterstorage\volume1 and should be tagged as TrustGroup1". The product at this point does not allow you to specify a VM level mapping. Thanks for sharing your feedback nevertheless.

Regards

Praveen

Tuesday, September 17, 2013 12:46 PM
  • Hi Praveen,

Can we Provide Hyper-V Host name or Cluster name or Hyper-V Broker Name in Primary Server Field ?

Thanks

Kirpal Singh

Monday, September 23, 2013 6:36 AM
  • If you have a standalone primary server, you can specify the Hyper-V host name.

If your primary server is part of a cluster, then you would need to specify the Hyper-V Replica Broker name (created in the primary cluster).

Regards

Praveen

Wednesday, October 02, 2013 7:54 AM
  • Hi Praveen,

So mentioned Configuration will work on DR Cluster ?

Broker1            C:\ClusterStorage\Volume1  TrustGroup1

Broker1             C:\ClusterStorage\Volume2  TrustGroup2

In Primary Server filed , I have used 2 times same Broker name ( Broker1) created in Primary End Cluster.

In Storage Location filed , I have put Volume 1 and Volume 2 available in DR Cluster Storage

Is it ok now?

Kirpal Singh

Saturday, October 12, 2013 6:31 AM
  • Hi Kirpal,

If you try to provide the same 'primary server' name in the replica's authorization table, the product will error out indicating that the primary server name should be unique. If there were two entries, the product will not be able to differentiate between the two rows for any incoming traffic.

Praveen

Sunday, October 13, 2013 3:09 AM
  • It means, Microsoft has to introduce new capabilities and features in Hyper-V replica for my requirement.

Addition of more than one CSV in Hype-v Replica Broker Settings at DR Site , both Primary and DR Site Servers are part of same domain

Kirpal Singh

Monday, October 21, 2013 5:54 AM