none
Binaries in WinSxS

Question

• Hi

We have today been looking at reducing the size of the WinSxS folder on our test server. The server is Windows 2008 R2 SP1. We have used the command 'Dism  /online /Clean-Image /SpSuperseded'. This worked well and reduced the size by several Gigabytes. However, my question is this, the machine is a 64bit Intel Virtual Server so can the amd64 Binaries/Hard Links in the WinSxS folder be deleted with out causing any harm. I assume people will say that it is unsafe or unwise to delete anything from within WinSXS but I cannot see why the AMD files would be needed.

Any thoughts or advise greatly appreciated.

Tuesday, January 07, 2014 2:48 PM

Answers

• Do not be confused by name! AMD64 do not mean x64 AMD processor, its mean 64-bit architecture either Intel or AMD processor.
    • Marked as answer by DeepBlueDiver Tuesday, January 07, 2014 3:14 PM
    Tuesday, January 07, 2014 2:57 PM

All replies

• Do not be confused by name! AMD64 do not mean x64 AMD processor, its mean 64-bit architecture either Intel or AMD processor.
    • Marked as answer by DeepBlueDiver Tuesday, January 07, 2014 3:14 PM
    Tuesday, January 07, 2014 2:57 PM
  • Thanks for that Ko4evneG, I wasn't aware of that but my colleague thought that was probably the case. So if I can rephrase the question, can the x86 files be deleted then if thats the case?
    Tuesday, January 07, 2014 3:10 PM
  • Thinking about it I assume that is an even dafter question and the 32 bit files are needed so thanks for the response.
    Tuesday, January 07, 2014 3:14 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your feedback. Your time is highly appreciated.

Best Regards,

Justin Gu
    Wednesday, January 08, 2014 11:04 AM