none
UE-V (Windows 7 and Windows 8)

Question

• Currently conducting an R&D effort using Microsoft UE-V.  I've noticed that running UE-V on all Windows 7 clients works great.  Running UE-V on all windows 8 clients works great.  My question is can I move between Windows 7 and Windows 8 and not loose my settings?  The UE-V documentation does state that the Windows theme's will not transfer between Windows 7 and Windows 8.  There seems to be other settings also that drop off when you go between the two operating systems.  Right now it looks like you can use UE-V with all windows 7 devices, then migrate to Windows 8 devices.  However, you can't work between the two operating systems.
    Tuesday, April 02, 2013 5:21 PM

Answers

• Hello,

See this statement from the release notes;

Some operating system settings only roam between like operating system versions

Operating system settings for Narrator and currency characters specific to the locale will only roam across like operating system versions of Windows. For example currency characters will only roam from Windows 7 to Windows 7.

WORKAROUND: None

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj679986.aspx

See this statement from the release;

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/jj720570.aspx

• Roaming OS settings between Windows 7 and Windows 8: Relevant operating system settings between Windows 7 and Windows 8 will now roam across these versions.
    • Roaming of additional operating system settings: We have added settings roaming for the Start Menu, Taskbar, folder options, and region and language.

Nicke Källén | The Knack| Twitter: @Znackattack

• Marked as answer by RichS_44 Tuesday, April 02, 2013 6:28 PM
    Tuesday, April 02, 2013 6:17 PM

All replies

• Hello,

See this statement from the release notes;

Some operating system settings only roam between like operating system versions

Operating system settings for Narrator and currency characters specific to the locale will only roam across like operating system versions of Windows. For example currency characters will only roam from Windows 7 to Windows 7.

WORKAROUND: None

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj679986.aspx

See this statement from the release;

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/jj720570.aspx

• Roaming OS settings between Windows 7 and Windows 8: Relevant operating system settings between Windows 7 and Windows 8 will now roam across these versions.
    • Roaming of additional operating system settings: We have added settings roaming for the Start Menu, Taskbar, folder options, and region and language.

Nicke Källén | The Knack| Twitter: @Znackattack

• Marked as answer by RichS_44 Tuesday, April 02, 2013 6:28 PM
    Tuesday, April 02, 2013 6:17 PM
  • We are using the UE-V version that was released with MDOP 2012 which I assume has the beta 2 enhancements.  It seems to obtain the full functionality of UE-V roaming from windows 7 to windows7 or windows 8 to windows 8 is the optimal solution.  You can roam between Win 7 and Win 8 but you will have some functionality that doesn't roam.

Is that a true statement?

Tuesday, April 02, 2013 6:28 PM
  • I'm also currently testing out UE-V across both Windows 7 x64 (Office 2010 x64) and Windows 8 x64 (Office 2013 x64), in particular I need the simultaneous user session capability as my test user logged onto each OS at the same time.

I'm finding the two OS's are constantly overwriting settings - a really annoying example being Task Bar pinned items, but then I found the same problem happened with Roaming Profiles.

Sunday, April 07, 2013 9:24 AM
  • @2way Technology,

Did you resolve your issue with Win 7 and Win 8?  I'm seeing inconsistent behaviour when roaming between the two OS.  I'm starting to conclude at this point UE-V is best used with all Win 7 or all Win 8 devices you can't mix the two.

Friday, May 17, 2013 2:50 PM