none
Function ‘Open with Explorer’ on SharePoint with Limit Size

Question

• Dear Team,

My customer has a problem when open the larger file over 50 MB by using function "Open with Explorer" on SharePoint. It's show the picture " Could not complete you request because of a disk error" in below. But user download file from SharePoint, he can download and open it.

Please suggestion

Tuesday, August 27, 2013 3:08 AM

Answers

• What happens if the user tries to open the document using the URL, i.e. http://sharepoint.domain.com/sites/site/library/photoshopfile.ext , does it throw an error then?

If larger than 50MB files can be uploaded and downloaded then obviously the web application limit has been increased. It's possible that it hasn't been increased properly and this is limiting the transfer when accessed through the virtual directory. Network performance is always a worry but if it's just when you go over 50MB then it doens't sound likely.

Tuesday, August 27, 2013 9:08 AM

All replies

• you should run checkdisk as there might be some file system errors etc. after your crash.

1. Double-click My Computer, and then right-click the hard disk that you want to check.
    2. Click Properties, and then click Tools.
    3. Under Error-checking, click Check Now. A dialog box that shows the Check disk options is displayed,
    4. Select the following:
    * Automatically fix file system errors
    * Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors (this takes a long time, but it's good just to rule out any disk damage),
    5. and then click Start. 

If files are in use (definately if you're checking c:) it will ask if you want to schedule the disk check. Choose yes, and reboot.
    Tuesday, August 27, 2013 3:18 AM
  • Run on client computer or server, is it limited in sharepoint 2010?
    Tuesday, August 27, 2013 4:20 AM
  • I really wouldn't go with Sachchin's option. SharePoint provides the data as a virtual directory but it's not really a folder structure. It wouldn't work.

What exactly are they trying to do, are they trying to open/save/upload a document over 50MB in size?

Does this happen on all documents over 50MB?

Does this happen with different applications?

My first guess would be that there's a limit on the upload file size on your web application but that assumes that your user is trying to save a document rather than open one.

http://sharepoint.indigoreality.com/2012/12/05/sharepoint-2010-changing-the-file-maximum-upload-size/

Tuesday, August 27, 2013 5:58 AM
  • Thank you so much, the problem is occur when user open with "Open with Explorer" . It will show the error. It effects all document over 50 MB, but if user download to local machine. he can open it.
    Tuesday, August 27, 2013 6:08 AM
  • What happens if the user tries to open the document using the URL, i.e. http://sharepoint.domain.com/sites/site/library/photoshopfile.ext , does it throw an error then?

If larger than 50MB files can be uploaded and downloaded then obviously the web application limit has been increased. It's possible that it hasn't been increased properly and this is limiting the transfer when accessed through the virtual directory. Network performance is always a worry but if it's just when you go over 50MB then it doens't sound likely.

Tuesday, August 27, 2013 9:08 AM