none
Trouble installing RD Session host role

Question

• I've searched high and low but have not yet found an answer to my problem.

I have 2 server 2012 physical machines hooked up in a cluster.

The 2 Machines are running the Remote Desktop Virtualization host & Hyper-v roles.

I have another server 2012 machine running in a cluster hosted VM. This server runs the remote desktop connection broker and Licencing server.

This all works fine.

The problem is I now would like to add the Remote Desktop Session host role to the 2 physical machines. Unfortunately this errors out during the 2nd reboot when installing the role.

I have turned on rds logging with the RDMSUI_TRACING  environment variable and enabling the debug logging under "Applications and Services Logs\Microsoft\Windows\RDMS-UI\Debug" in event log.  I'm getting no log files in c:\Windows\Logs\.

The only error I get from any of this is:

Component RdmsUI: Failed to fetch local DB connection string from server: <server running in VM (RDCB+RDLS)>.<domain>: System.Management.Automation.RemoteException: Property DBConnString does not exist at path HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tssdis\Parameters.
       at Microsoft.RemoteDesktopServices.Common.DeploymentModel.ExecutePowerShellScript(String serverName, String script, Object argumentList, Boolean isLocalhost)
       at Microsoft.RemoteDesktopServices.Common.DeploymentModel.IsHighAvailabilityConfigured(String managementServer)

Sunday, June 23, 2013 8:04 AM

Answers

• Hi,

The issue you have is that the session servers cannot connect to the connection broker.

You cannot have both roles Virtual machine deployment (virtual Host) and session deployment (session host roles) on the same server. 

Try creating a virtual Machine for the session server and see if you get the same error.

Best Regards,

• Marked as answer by Craige1 Sunday, June 30, 2013 2:05 PM
    Sunday, June 23, 2013 9:57 PM

All replies

• Hi,

The issue you have is that the session servers cannot connect to the connection broker.

You cannot have both roles Virtual machine deployment (virtual Host) and session deployment (session host roles) on the same server. 

Try creating a virtual Machine for the session server and see if you get the same error.

Best Regards,

• Marked as answer by Craige1 Sunday, June 30, 2013 2:05 PM
    Sunday, June 23, 2013 9:57 PM
  • Thanks for the response, and sorry for the late reply.

Installing the session role worked on a new vm. I did not realise that you cannot install both the Virtualization Host and Session Host roles on the same machine. I do wish there would be some warning about that in the gui, or feature documentation. I wonder what is stopping it from allowing this to happen?

Sunday, June 30, 2013 2:04 PM