none
MDT 2012 sysprep issues

Question

• I am using MDT 2012 no WDS or the like and my deployment wizard is not setting my target computer to out of box condition. Sysprep does run but when the system reboots it is still in the administrator that the deployment wizard created. I would like a way of sysprepping the target to an oobe state as the script does not seem to be doing all the job.

I have tried to run sysprep from a command line task sequence bit that fails to even start I have tried to even modify the sysprep script to -oobe -generalize and that failed.

any ideas would like an oobe to greet me on the next boot.

Thursday, April 18, 2013 3:39 PM

Answers

• Just to make sure I understand your request... you want to lay down your Reference WIM on the machine only and have it go to OOBE?  So, no driver injection, config or apps after laying down the WIM, right?  In that case, you probably need to modify the default Unattend.xml for your Task Sequence since it's by default configured to setup autologin, launch LTIBootstrap, disable user account page, and hide most of the OOBE experience.

David Coulter | http://DCtheGeek.blogspot.com | @DCtheGeek

• Marked as answer by Ben Ramsay Saturday, April 27, 2013 4:12 AM
    Thursday, April 18, 2013 5:19 PM
  • what we do here is first deploy a system let MDT run out the TS and after that we can either manually sysprep it or run another task sequence specifically to sysprep the system.

you can however easily fit that all into one task sequence.

what you probably need to do is before it will sysprep your system delete the current unattended.xml and copy over your own premade unattended.xml and excecute sysprep which will use your premade unattended.xml.

Friday, April 19, 2013 8:44 AM
  • You can run sysprep from a command line, %SystemRoot%\System32\Sysprep\Sysprep.exe /oobe /quit

There are other switches you can use, however if you're executing it as part of a task sequence these will be all that you should use since in the scenario you're describing.

You can optionally use /unattend:<filepath\filenamename> in order to apply a specific unattend.xml file that should be processed. Depending on whether you use /generalize or not, not all settings can be configured with an unattend.xml file since certain settings are only available during certain stages of the Windows Setup process.

Kind regards,

Stephan Schwarz

If one of these posts answered your question or issue, please click on "Mark as answer".

My Blog | Twitter: @Schwarz_Stephan | MCTS, MCITP, MCSA, MCSE (Charter Member), MCC-2011.
    Automatically determine target OU from ComputerName with PS for MDT2012 U1/ConfigMgr
    How to configure Windows RE/OEM Recovery Partition with MDT 2012 Update 1

• Marked as answer by Ben Ramsay Sunday, April 21, 2013 11:58 AM
    Saturday, April 20, 2013 9:23 PM

All replies

• Just to make sure I understand your request... you want to lay down your Reference WIM on the machine only and have it go to OOBE?  So, no driver injection, config or apps after laying down the WIM, right?  In that case, you probably need to modify the default Unattend.xml for your Task Sequence since it's by default configured to setup autologin, launch LTIBootstrap, disable user account page, and hide most of the OOBE experience.

David Coulter | http://DCtheGeek.blogspot.com | @DCtheGeek

Thursday, April 18, 2013 5:19 PM
  • OK, so how do I allow the customer to customise their system once the deployment is completed. I am looking for an experience similar to what the customer would get when the pc is bought from a retail store, in terms of being able to setup their system the way they want.

Friday, April 19, 2013 2:35 AM
  • Isnt that easily possible with just using the wds?
    Friday, April 19, 2013 7:19 AM
  • what we do here is first deploy a system let MDT run out the TS and after that we can either manually sysprep it or run another task sequence specifically to sysprep the system.

you can however easily fit that all into one task sequence.

what you probably need to do is before it will sysprep your system delete the current unattended.xml and copy over your own premade unattended.xml and excecute sysprep which will use your premade unattended.xml.

Friday, April 19, 2013 8:44 AM
  • Is there a way through the command line function in mdt to execute sysprep from windows.
    Friday, April 19, 2013 3:00 PM
  • You can run sysprep from a command line, %SystemRoot%\System32\Sysprep\Sysprep.exe /oobe /quit

There are other switches you can use, however if you're executing it as part of a task sequence these will be all that you should use since in the scenario you're describing.

You can optionally use /unattend:<filepath\filenamename> in order to apply a specific unattend.xml file that should be processed. Depending on whether you use /generalize or not, not all settings can be configured with an unattend.xml file since certain settings are only available during certain stages of the Windows Setup process.

Kind regards,

Stephan Schwarz

If one of these posts answered your question or issue, please click on "Mark as answer".

My Blog | Twitter: @Schwarz_Stephan | MCTS, MCITP, MCSA, MCSE (Charter Member), MCC-2011.
    Automatically determine target OU from ComputerName with PS for MDT2012 U1/ConfigMgr
    How to configure Windows RE/OEM Recovery Partition with MDT 2012 Update 1

• Marked as answer by Ben Ramsay Sunday, April 21, 2013 11:58 AM
    Saturday, April 20, 2013 9:23 PM
  • Excellent, That's what I have been looking for. I just modified it to be sysprep /generalize /quite /quit and it works

Excellent Tip in books, keep it up.

Sunday, April 21, 2013 11:58 AM