none
Finding a package location

Question

• I am given a dtsx package which is calling another package.  In the event handler I could see the package name.  I am trying to locate this package.  I looked at the properties.  There is no location specified for the package.  Can you help me to pin down the location for this package?  where do I get the info? thanks

Thank You Warmest Fanny Pied

Tuesday, July 16, 2013 8:02 PM

Answers

• Package3 is the name of your current package, this package is not calling any other package.

If you are trying to find out if this package is calling any other package, Check in the control flow pane, You should have Execute Package that. 

Execute Package tack is used to call other package, 

If you want to call any other package, you can call them from SSIS SERVER or from File Location by using Execute Package Task.

What you see if Event Handler, that means if PAckage3(YourCurrentPackage) fails with any error then you want to perform some action. 

Here is more info why we use Event Handler and What Events are avaiable

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms140223.aspx

Thank you

http://sqlage.blogspot.com/

Wednesday, July 17, 2013 7:50 PM
  • There is no event handler. If you read the blue text in the middle of the screen, you can see if asks you to create on. Ergo, there is none.

The dropdown with Package 3 tells you that you are looking at the package level, which is of course the highest level in a package. The name property also displays package3. This concludes that the package is actually called package3. This is the package name. You also have the physical file name (ends with .dtsx), which is the one you see in solution explorer. Normally they are the same, but apperently they are different here.

When you rename a package in solution explorer, you get a pop-up asking you if you also want to change the package name. If you click no, you get into a situation like this.

MCSE SQL Server 2012 - Please mark posts as answered where appropriate.

Wednesday, July 17, 2013 7:55 PM

All replies

• Which version of SSIS?

How is the other package called? With an Execute Package Task?

Tuesday, July 16, 2013 8:36 PM
  • The package is called under Event Handler as an executable somehow. 

Tuesday, July 16, 2013 8:45 PM
  • Which  task does the event handler use?

Tuesday, July 16, 2013 8:46 PM
  • Well, going by your statement I am making my own assumptions and answering. For SQL Server 2008 R2 all the packages deployed to SQL Server can be found in the msdb database (I believe this is your case).

SELECT * FROM msdb..sysdtspackages

If its deployed to file system you should call the package from the deployed location.

We would be able to help you out a lot better if you provide a bit more information.

Thanks........

Ione

Tuesday, July 16, 2013 8:50 PM
  • There is no tasks defined in Event Handler somehow.  Just the package gets called. 

Tuesday, July 16, 2013 8:51 PM
  • There is no tasks defined in Event Handler somehow.  Just the package gets called. 

How do you know it is called from that event handler?

Tuesday, July 16, 2013 9:06 PM
  • it is listed under the executable 's drop down list.

Tuesday, July 16, 2013 9:09 PM
  • I would suggest you to search the child package's name in the master package's code(xml document). Try to figure out the task name which calls the child.

Rajkumar

Wednesday, July 17, 2013 6:38 AM
  • it is listed under the executable 's drop down list.

I think it's time to post some screenshots :)

Wednesday, July 17, 2013 6:45 AM
  • Are there some instructions for posting screen shots?  Have not done it in the forum before. thanks so much !

Wednesday, July 17, 2013 4:10 PM
  •  photo e04add2a-e352-45e6-939d-de38b8163291_zps1d76d120.jpg

Here is the screen shot.  You see the Package3 is listed in the drop down list.  I looked at the property pane on the right and could not find the location for the executable named.

• Edited by Fanny Pied Wednesday, July 17, 2013 6:10 PM change
    Wednesday, July 17, 2013 6:08 PM
  • Can someone help? thanks !

Wednesday, July 17, 2013 7:24 PM
  • Package3 is the name of your current package, this package is not calling any other package.

If you are trying to find out if this package is calling any other package, Check in the control flow pane, You should have Execute Package that. 

Execute Package tack is used to call other package, 

If you want to call any other package, you can call them from SSIS SERVER or from File Location by using Execute Package Task.

What you see if Event Handler, that means if PAckage3(YourCurrentPackage) fails with any error then you want to perform some action. 

Here is more info why we use Event Handler and What Events are avaiable

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms140223.aspx

Thank you

http://sqlage.blogspot.com/

Wednesday, July 17, 2013 7:50 PM
  • There is no event handler. If you read the blue text in the middle of the screen, you can see if asks you to create on. Ergo, there is none.

The dropdown with Package 3 tells you that you are looking at the package level, which is of course the highest level in a package. The name property also displays package3. This concludes that the package is actually called package3. This is the package name. You also have the physical file name (ends with .dtsx), which is the one you see in solution explorer. Normally they are the same, but apperently they are different here.

When you rename a package in solution explorer, you get a pop-up asking you if you also want to change the package name. If you click no, you get into a situation like this.

Wednesday, July 17, 2013 7:55 PM