This has happened on every 2012 server I've installed except for the one I installed in Oracle VirtualBox.
When I try to open Windows Update from the control panel, it hangs for 20-30 minutes (can't even move the window), then when it finally opens, when I click any option (Change settings or Check for Updates) it hangs for another 20-30 minutes. After the half hour wait and Check Updates finally runs and I click Install, it hangs for another 20-30 minutes before downloading. When it finishes downloading, it hangs for ANOTHER 20-30 minutes before installing.
Anybody have any idea what is going on?
Best I can suggest is to refresh it all.
- Open a Command Prompt. Click Start > Run and type “cmd” then hit “OK”
- Type “net stop wuauserv”. This shuts down the windows update service so you can delete the files.
- Still on the Command Prompt, type “cd /d %windir%”
- Type “rd /s SoftwareDistribution”
- Type “net start wuauserv” to restart the service then check for updates as normal
- Proposed as answer by Adrian-A-Avanade Thursday, December 05, 2013 8:27 PM
Tried that already... I found a temporary fix:
1. Stop the Windows Update Service
2. When it hangs at 50%, open a command prompt and run "sc queryex wuauserv" and find the PID
3. Open Task Manager and kill the process with that PID
4. Stop the Background Intelligent Transfer Service
5. Start the Windows Update service
6. RESTART the Windows Update service (I don't know why this is needed, but it doesn't work if I don't do it)
7. Start the Background Intelligent Transfer Service
This will fix it long enough to start a scan for new updates. At that point it starts hanging again (20-30 minutes before it actually scans and shows you updates, then another 20-30 minutes after clicking install)
This process has to be repeated every time you want to check for updates, even if it's immediately after a reboot. Very irritating.
I once heard that it had something to do with Norton Internet Security.Anyway, pls do the followings to narrow down the issue.More likely,it had sth to do with 3rd party application.
Disable your Antivirus security software / Firewall
- To do this, right click on your antivirus program in taskbar
- Click on Disable product protection or a similar looking button
Disabling non-Microsoft services temporarily
- Press Windows Logo key + R to open run
- Type msconfig
- Go to the services tab
- Click on Hide all Microsoft Services
Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
- Edited by Clarence ZhangModerator Wednesday, May 08, 2013 8:57 AM
I'm experiencing the same issue, but on Windows 8 and it's not just VirtualBox; it's also VMware Workstation 9. Seems to be a problem with Windows since Windows 7 VMs work fine...
And in both cases, it's a fresh install with no 3rd party apps installed.
- Edited by briangw Tuesday, June 11, 2013 2:53 PM
I continued to have these same problems until I switched Windows Update settings back to "Never check for updates (not recommended)". I previously had it set to "Download only". I was then able to manually check and install updates (tried 1 at a time first) normally after that. This solved the problem on 2 different 2012 servers...
I have found another trick, when update block, just virtually remove the "network cable" (vitualbox: network icon, config network un thick cable, save, wait 10 sec, then thick again) each time it was blocking (so 3-4 times for each update).
But setting to "never" is like a pain relief, while still blocking sometimes :-(. in that case the network trick is giving a "you have to be connected to internet" message, a retry button, and sync cable on/off with update behavior is sometimes...ouch.
Anyway, big thanks for the "never" solution !
I had the same problems with a brand new 2012 VM.
No other software loaded. First I got the red X when trying check for updates.
Rebooted a few times. Then it showed the updates needed but never downloaded them.
It would sit at 0% 0KB downloaded and not change.
I had my download settings set to -Download updates but let me choose when to install them.
I have since made the following changes:
1. deleted everything out of the softwaredistribution folder
2. set updates to notify me of updates but do not download or install them
4. seems to be working now.
Fix your software Microsoft...
Try this at an elevated command-prompt:
netsh winhttp import proxy source=ieEverything should now work and be nice and fast, as expected.
Spot on, thank you. Brand new Server 2012 Standard OEM from Dell. Was sitting behind a proxy I had set in IE. Update was crashing and I kept having to reboot. This did the trick and it's nice and zippy again. For now...