none
Consolidating partitions when doing system refresh.

Question

• I need some help guys.

We want to migrate form Vista to Win7 SP1 in our SCCM 2007 Sp2 enviroment. I already have Win7 Sp1 reference image.

In most migration scenarios users hardware will stay untouched, so we would like to capture and migrate users state to SMP on Vista computer, delete and format HD (2 partitions present on Vista C and D) and make only one partition C (whole disk), apply Win7 SP1 wim image, and do other custom actions and finally restore users .mig file from StateMigrationPont.

I don't know how can you repartition disk with 2 partitions present, to only one big partition where our wim. will be restored and configured, and also user data will be migrated to new operating system.

Can someone help me please???

Jure /SLOVENIJA

Friday, October 04, 2013 10:39 AM

Answers

• hard linking will work - check this out it will help you understand.

Even though its about a bug in hard linking and usmt it also goes through how to configure what you want to achieve.

http://myitforum.com/cs2/blogs/cnackers/archive/2010/12/03/new-kb-a-system-center-configuration-manager-2007-sp2-task-sequence-may-fail-if-the-computer-has-multiple-drives-or-partitions-and-usmt-4-with-hardlinking-is-being-used.aspx

Saturday, October 12, 2013 7:05 AM

All replies

• You should try MDT 2012. Install this on your sccm server and follow the instructions to integrate it. You can use hard linking which will keep the user data on the hard drive without using a migration point. This works out alot quicker when doing a refresh. For new pc's you would need to create a computer association between the old and the new and then use a migration point.

For multiple partitions present you only need one step in the task sequence (format) and it will delete all partitions and create one partition depending on what you set in this step.

Friday, October 04, 2013 2:07 PM
  • THX for your reply elshonno.I already integrate MDT 2012 in our SCCM 2007 enviroment.

Im not sure if USMT hardlinking works in scenario where migrating from existing operating system (Vista with 2 partitons C and D) to new operating system (win7 with only one partition C - whole hard drive), where hardware stays the same.

My task sequence works great in case when migrating from Vista with 2 partitions to Win7 with same size 2 partitons using SMP, but fails when i want to apply operating system and user settings form SMP to 1 partition.

I try this example: http://www.windowsmanagementexperts.com/consolidating-disk-partitions-in-a-windows-xp-to-windows-7-migration/consolidating-disk-partitions-in-a-windows-xp-to-windows-7-migration.htm

but I cant get it working.

Thx for any help.

Sunday, October 06, 2013 7:21 AM
  • hard linking will work - check this out it will help you understand.

Even though its about a bug in hard linking and usmt it also goes through how to configure what you want to achieve.

http://myitforum.com/cs2/blogs/cnackers/archive/2010/12/03/new-kb-a-system-center-configuration-manager-2007-sp2-task-sequence-may-fail-if-the-computer-has-multiple-drives-or-partitions-and-usmt-4-with-hardlinking-is-being-used.aspx

Saturday, October 12, 2013 7:05 AM