none
Programatically pick PowerView properties from Microsoft Excel 2013 file

Question

• Hi,

I have a requirement to programmatically read/handle PowerView properties like title, theme, background, font-size etc. from a Microsoft Excel 2013 file. Also I need to access the properties of the objects which are added on to the PowerView, for e.g. properties of a table or a image added to the PowerView.

I have been looking for it since long, but no luck. Is there a way by which I can achieve it? Any pointers regarding this would be really helpful.

Thanks in advance.

Monday, July 14, 2014 10:48 AM

All replies

• Hi Pranav_Bhargava,

According to your description, you want to get the properties of PowerView from Excel on programming level. Right?

PowerView is an add-on for Excel/SharePoint. All the properties of object have been packaged, it will not open any API for developing. So your requirement can't be achieved currently.

Reference:
    Power View: Explore, visualize, and present your data

If you have any question, please feel free to ask.

Best Regards,
    Simon Hou

Thursday, July 17, 2014 2:48 AM
  • Thanks Simon_Hou for the response.

As per your answer, PowerView is an add-on and hence it is packaged and properties can't be picked.

But, PowerPivot is also a com add-in still there exists a programming handle for it. We are able to pick several properties for PowerPivot using Interop.

For PowerView, I am able to see certain bin files getting created but am unable to pick any information from those.

(Bin files namely CustomProperties1.bin, CustomProperties2.bin, CustomProperties3.bin, CustomProperties4.bin, CustomProperties5.bin)

Is there any way by which we can pick certain properties for Power View as well using these files or maybe some other way?

Thursday, July 17, 2014 7:08 AM