none
Upgrade from Sql 2003 to Sql 2008

General discussion

• Hi,
    We are planning to upgrade from Sql 2003 to Sql 2008 and I would like to know what needs to be prepared and how to do as I will doing very first time.

We have sql 2003 - on windows 2003 server with 4 CPU and 4 GB Memory.
    We have almost 12 Databases and biggest DB is around 250 GB which is also feed by Replication DB as subscriber and Publisher resides on 3rd party.

1) What should be the new hardware and server we should configure?
    2) What other things we need to consider?
    3) What's the proper steps to migrate/upgrade DB?

Thanks,

Wednesday, July 10, 2013 12:17 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Please note that SQL Server 2003 does not exist. Please confirm the current SQL Server version.

The following document may help you planning your upgrade:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=15220

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Wednesday, July 10, 2013 3:05 PM
  • Hi,
    We are planning to upgrade from Sql 2003 to Sql 2008 and I would like to know what needs to be prepared and how to do as I will doing very first time.

We have sql 2003 - on windows 2003 server with 4 CPU and 4 GB Memory.
    We have almost 12 Databases and biggest DB is around 250 GB which is also feed by Replication DB as subscriber and Publisher resides on 3rd party.

1) What should be the new hardware and server we should configure?
    2) What other things we need to consider?
    3) What's the proper steps to migrate/upgrade DB?

Thanks,

If your current  sql server version is 2005 you can download this whitepaper to migrate to 2008.If not this is almost applicable or all migrations. 

It really worrying me how you run 12 DB on 4 GB RAM with biggest being 250 G.Anyways

1. I always suggest side by side upgrade..(more about this in Link)

In this you install SQL server 2008 on same or diff machine

Restore backup taken from 2005 to 2008

Transfer logins from 2005 to 2008(by taking script)

Transfer jobs/packages  (by taking script)

Rebuild indexes(with full scan)

Note while doing all this ur old SQL server will be 

2. Please consider upgrading RAM i would suggest 16 GB would be good.Considering ur scenario.Note this is not exact value acctual value you will decide considering ur workload.

Please mark this reply as the answer or vote as helpful, as appropriate, to make it useful for other readers

Wednesday, July 10, 2013 3:28 PM
  • Thanks for your response.

Sorry about it as I typed wrong, actually we are planning to upgrade from sql server 2003 to sql server 2005 on windows 2003 or 2008 and possibly virtualization.

I am completely agreed with you as RAM needs to be upgraded.

How about CPU?

Thanks.

Thursday, July 11, 2013 4:13 AM
  • Thanks for your response.

Sorry about it as I typed wrong, actually we are planning to upgrade from sql server 2003 to sql server 2005 on windows 2003 or 2008 and possibly virtualization.

Hi,

THERE IS NO SQL SERVER 2003 sql versions are(2000,2005,2008,2008R2,2012). Seriously please just clear that,reg CPU I think that depends on ur SQL server License ,you must have purchased license for particular no of CPU,i dont know more on that but use of CPU core is limited to SQL server license.

Please mark this reply as the answer or vote as helpful, as appropriate, to make it useful for other readers

Thursday, July 11, 2013 5:00 AM
  • Sorry about it.

I need to correct it as we have  sql server 2005 - 9.00.4060.00 (intel x86) windows standard edition on windows NT 5.2 (build 3790: service pack 2).

We are possibly looking to virtulization and also possibly looking any server hardware configuration advice,

Thanks

Thursday, July 11, 2013 8:23 PM
  • Hi poratips,

When you are planning to upgrade SQL Server 2005 to SQL Server 2008, we need to note the following things.

1. Usually, on Vista or later version OS, we need to ensure you have downloaded and installed Microsoft .Net Framework 3.5 SP1 and Windows Installer 4.5, before installing SQL Server 2008;
    2. We need to review installation requirements (hardware & software) and system configuration about Installing SQL Server 2008.
    3. In order to avoid some wrongs in updating process. We need to set the expectation for the worse possible scenario and rebuild our server. For example, I suggest taking full backups of our databases before upgrading the SQL Server. Meanwhile, we should verify the databases are good when we backup and restore them to a TEST server.

Thanks,
    Sofiya Li

Sofiya Li
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, July 12, 2013 6:24 AM
  • Thanks Sofiya.

I am agreed with you that backup should be tested.

We are planning to do on another server and we are also thinking the best hardware configuration.

do you suggest any server level configuration and settings?

We have currently 12 - 15 DB with one Replication DB which is Big around 250 GB.

Any virtualization is good?

What should be server CPU and MEMORY will be ideal?

Any other System level settings?

Thanks

Monday, July 15, 2013 12:16 PM
  • IMO, it's time to move to Virtualization as the default configuration for SQL Server for both big enterprises consolidating hundreds of SQL Instances and small businesses running a single SQL Server. 

If you have a single server, you can install Windows Server 2012 and user Hyper-V to host a VM running SQL Server. There's no additional cost to running your SQL instance in a Hyper-V VM and with Windows Server 2012 Hyper-V the performance penalty is very small. 

In return you get the ability to possibly host other VMs on the same server and the flexibility to move the VM to another Hyper-V host later.

You can even cluster the Hyper-V hosts to make the VMs highly-available. And you can start with a single Hyper-V server and live migrate your VMs to a Hyper-V cluster later with no downtime.

David

David http://blogs.msdn.com/b/dbrowne/

Monday, July 15, 2013 5:09 PM
  • Thanks David.

I like your blog too as it has vey useful information.

I am agreed that now a days lot of people going for Virtualization.

We have around 15 DB and one Replication DB is big around 250-300 GB and couple times we are running batch job so sometimes we have more wait time due to Replication and batch job,

What do you suggest stiil?

Is it 8 core/cpu processor for enterprise sql is enough?

Tuesday, July 16, 2013 3:22 AM
  • I can't speculate on whether a particular configuration will be sufficient, but if you have more cores, more memory and more IOPS than your current configuration you should be able to get at least similar performance.   But with any upgrade you may need to do some performance analysis to ensure that your queries are running well on the new version.

David

Tuesday, July 16, 2013 2:25 PM
  • Thanks David.

Any link you suggest that can help me to analysis?

Wednesday, July 17, 2013 9:38 PM
  • Thanks.

Do you guys have any project docs which highlights what needs to be done as a Pre-Upgrade and Post Upgrade steps with application testing, Back out plan kind of example?

Thanks.

Monday, August 05, 2013 8:47 PM
  • You can start with this:

SQL Server 2012 Upgrade Technical Guide

David

Monday, August 05, 2013 9:52 PM