none
SBS 2003 Standard OEM help with finding the right user cal product number to match

Question

• We have Small Business Server 2003 Standard installed. We need help finding the right product for adding a total of 15 user cals for this product.

I want the 5 user cal product (x3)

As the operating system is a OEM version, do I specifically need the  product listed as: 6UA-00544 ? Because this is listed as an OEM cal.

Or can use any user cal? Is there really a difference can you only use "OEM" cals or any cal?

It's very confusing.

Thanks for helping out!

Thursday, August 26, 2010 7:02 PM

Answers

All replies

• another question, in theory, if I have 15 users and let all of them use one shared username (e.g. "CENTRAL) and they would all be logged in at the same time, would that be possible? As in would I only need 1 user cal, because they use a shared username??
    Thursday, August 26, 2010 7:06 PM
  • You get 5 CALs with the purchase of SBS 2003.  You can define these as either USER or DEVICE CALs.  So, you would need 2 - 5 packs of CALs for SBS 2003 to make 15 CALs total.  However, SBS 2003 CALs are no longer available.  You need to purchase SBS 2008 USER or DEVICE CALs and, if Retail or OEM, then call Microsoft to "downgrade" them to SBS 2003 (and get an install key so they can be installed on the SBS 2003 server). 

If you buy volume license CALs (like Open Business licenses), the SBS 2003 install keys will be posted on the Volume Licensing Service Center (VLSC) web site after the purchase (no need to contact Microsoft for CAL install keys).

FAQ
    (see last Q/A in Downgrade Rights section)
    http://www..microsoft.com/sbs/en/us/faq.aspx#downgrade

"...For those of you who have purchased SBS 2008 CALs from channels other than VL, such as FPP and OEM, you can either call or e-mail Microsoft Support to get the product keys for SBS 2003 CALs as you downgrade your SBS 2008 CALs.  Please visit Microsoft Support for contact information.  Make sure to inform the customer service representative that you need Windows Small Business Server downgrade CAL keys."

Contact Microsoft by Telephone
    How to obtain SBS 2000/SBS 2003 licenses now that SBS 2008 has released

Example of CAL licenses, with SKUs... (5 CAL packs)

Microsoft Windows Small Business Server 2008 CAL Suite - License - 5 additional user CALs - English
    (Retail license - USER CALs)
    http://www.pcmall.com/p/Microsoft-Software/product~dpno~7679062~pdp.fbcchai?src=search

Microsoft Windows Small Business Server 2008 CAL Suite - License - 5 additional device CALs - English
    (Retail license - DEVICE CALs)
    http://www.pcmall.com/p/Microsoft-Software/product~dpno~7536276~pdp.ejedeag?src=search

Microsoft Windows Small Business Server 2008 CAL Suite - License - 5 user CALs - Open Business - Single Language
    (Open Business license - USER CALs)
    http://www.pcmall.com/p/Microsoft-Network-Software/product~dpno~7672796~pdp.fbagfdj?src=search

Microsoft Windows Small Business Server 2008 CAL Suite - License - 5 device CALs - Open Business - Single Language
    (Open Business license - DEVICE CALs)
    http://www.pcmall.com/p/Microsoft-Software/product~dpno~7672794~pdp.fbagfdh?src=search

You need a CAL assigned to each workstation/terminal/mobile device, etc. (DEVICE CAL) or you need a CAL assigned to each user (USER CAL).  In most cases, USER CALs are the best for most small businesses.

--
    Merv  Porter   [SBS-MVP]
    ============================

another question, in theory, if I have 15 users and let all of them use one shared username (e.g. "CENTRAL) and they would all be logged in at the same time, would that be possible? As in would I only need 1 user cal, because they use a shared username??
    Thursday, August 26, 2010 10:33 PM
  •  

You need a CAL assigned to each workstation/terminal/mobile device, etc. (DEVICE CAL) or you need a CAL assigned to each user (USER CAL).  In most cases, USER CALs are the best for most small businesses.

--
    Merv  Porter   [SBS-MVP]

another question, in theory, if I have 15 users and let all of them use one shared username (e.g. "CENTRAL) and they would all be logged in at the same time, would that be possible? As in would I only need 1 user cal, because they use a shared username??

So How do you Assign the 5 you get with SBS 2003 to users? I only use my SBS 2003 server for trminal services but I need 5 Users at a time, currently I canonly do 2. I was using a program called Elusiva to override this and allow 5 terminal sessions at once but it has proven to be unreliable.

Tuesday, August 09, 2011 9:05 PM
  • SBS is limited to 2 admin TS sessions and can't be changed to app mode. This is a built in restriction for security reasons as you don't want to be running multiple sessions with applications installed on the server which is a DC-remember it is not a workstation.

Steve

<Scottbud> wrote in message news:a54460b6-e470-4877-a5bd-80302ff1cad7@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

<http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/default.aspx?EDC=1588256>

You need a CAL assigned to each workstation/terminal/mobile device, etc. (DEVICE CAL) or you need a CAL assigned to each user (USER CAL). In most cases, USER CALs are the best for most small businesses.

Merv Porter [SBS-MVP]

"SRMC" wrote in message news:5fc12c4d-9e42-4491-816c-3dbd5ab2c5c9...another question, in theory, if I have 15 users and let all of them use one shared username (e.g. "CENTRAL) and they would all be logged in at the same time, would that be possible? As in would I only need 1 user cal, because they use a shared username??

So How do you Assign the 5 you get with SBS 2003 to users? I only use my SBS 2003 server for trminal services but I need 5 Users at a time, currently I canonly do 2. I was using a program called Elusiva to override this and allow 5 terminal sessions at once but it has proven to be unreliable.

Tuesday, August 09, 2011 10:19 PM