General Discussion on Data Protection Manager
DPM 2012 is now available - Download the Eval and experience it for yourself.Praveen T [MSFT] Thursday, September 08, 2011 12:50 PM
We are very excited to announce the release of DPM 2012. We want to hear from you what you feel about the changes we have made. Here is a quick summary of the changes. For more details head to the DPM Blog (http://blogs.technet.com/b/dpm) .
1. Centralized Management of DPM Servers (built on top of System Center Operations Manager )
2. Certificate Based Protection Backup machines from domains not trusted by the DPM Server domain including workgroup machines using certificates
3. Enhanced Hyper-V Support – Faster Hyper-V backups (Express Full) support for standalone Hyper-V hosts and ability to perform item level recovery even when DPM is running inside a VM.
4. Enhanced SharePoint Support– Recover files in seconds. Item level Recovery without moving content DBs. SharePoint RBS Support.
5. SQL FILESTREAM Support
6. Cool New UI – Yes. Download it, see it, tell us how you feel .
7. TAPE Feature Enhancements – Improved reliability, space optimization and more flexible job management capabilities.
8. Consolidate databases of multiple DPM Servers on same SQL Instance.
9. And as always, seamless upgrade experience from your existing DPM environment (DPM 2010).
Download SCS DPM Evaluation Location: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-US/evalcenter/hh505660.aspx?wt.mc_id=TEC_103_1_33
System Center 2012 UR3 is now available - see KB2751230Mike JacquetMicrosoft EmployeeWednesday, October 10, 2012 12:01 AM
IMPORTANT NOTE: After Installing UR3 - Please read the following article if you are protecting Sharepoint farm with DPM 2012.
2809773 The Data Protection Manager database grows and the console crashes after installing Update Rollup 3
Description of Update Rollup 3 for System Center 2012
Issues that are fixed in Update Rollup 3 for System Center 2012
Update Rollup 3 for System Center Data Protection Manager 2012 (KB2751230)
After you upgrade System Center Data Protection Manager 2010 to System Center Data Protection Manager 2012, the tape management report does not display overdue tapes.
System Center Data Protection Manager 2012 Client Protection does not scale to the limits that are expected.
When you try to specify a client computer name in the DPMServerName attribute by using Windows PowerShell, Windows PowerShell crashes.
When the name of a Microsoft SharePoint site collection contains a space, and you perform a SharePoint item-level recovery operation in System Center Data Protection Manager 2012, the operation fails.
After you rename a SharePoint site in System Center Data Protection Manager 2012, you cannot restore the site.
The SharePoint Recovery Point Status Report displays incorrect data in System Center Data Protection Manager 2012.
A bare metal recovery fails in certain situations.
DPM 2010 - DPM Power shell commands may fail with ArgumentOutOfrangeException after WFM 3.0 updateMike JacquetMicrosoft EmployeeFriday, February 22, 2013 12:34 AM
Please be aware that if you installs either of the following WMI updates on a DPM 2010 server, that some DPM power shell scripts may no longer work.
Some scripts will fail with an ArgumentOutOfrangeException. I believe that Pruneshadowcopies2010.ps1 is one such script that will fail which result in recovery points not getting deleted.
2506146 Description of Windows Management Framework 3.0 for Windows Server 2008 SP2
2506143 Description of Windows Management Framework 3.0 for Windows 7 SP1 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1
Un-installing 2506146 or 2506143 fixes the problem(s).
DPM 2012 SP1 and UR2 informationMike JacquetMicrosoft EmployeeFriday, January 25, 2013 5:10 PM
DPM 2012 SP1 is not available as standalone package. This is the same media for upgrade or new installations which requires a PID.
You should download DPM 2012 with SP1 from one of the following sources, MVLS Portal, SA license, Technet subscription, MSDN, etc.
MSDN link - review MSDN license agreement.
If you have a license agreement you should be able to find it on https://www.microsoft.com/licensing/servicecenter
There is a new Update Rollup for System Center 2012 SP1: Update Rollup 2 for System Center 2012 Service Pack 1 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2802159. These updates are available from Microsoft Update, to obtain and install the updates follow these steps on a system that has an applicable System Center 2012 component installed:
- Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
- In Control Panel, double-click Windows Update.
- In the Windows Update window, click Check Online for updates from Microsoft Update.
- Click Important updates are available.
- Select the Update Rollup 2 package, and then click OK.
- Click Install updates to install the update package.
To manually download the update packages from Microsoft Update Catalog for DPM, go to the following Microsoft website:
Data Protection Manager (KB2822782)
- Issue 1: An express full backup job in SC 2012 SP1 may stop responding on a Hyper-V cluster that has 600 or more VMs.
- Issue 2: When a SC 2012 SP1 item level restore operation is performed on a SharePoint the restore is unsuccessful.
- Issue 3: When you open DPM on a computer that is running SC 2012 SP1, the Welcome screen does not indicate the correct version of SP1.
- Issue 4: When you perform a disconnected installation of the DPM 2012 SP1 agent, you receive an error message.
Protection agent cannot be installed on a machine where DPM is installed.
- Issue 5: When you use Data Protection Manager 2012 Service Pack 1 for tape backup, you receive the following error message:
The operation failed because of a protection agent failure. (ID 998 Details: The parameter is incorrect (0x80070057))
- Issue 6: Backups of CSV volumes may be unsuccessful with metadata file corruption in DPM 2012 SP1.
- Issue 7: The DPM console may require more time to open than expected when many client systems are being protected.
DPM 2010 Documentation to help you plan, deploy, operate, and troubleshoot Now Online
Use this link (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff833813.aspx) to find documentation that you can download and print to help you plan, deploy, operate, and troubleshoot System Center Data Protection Manager (DPM) 2010. You can also browse the product documentation online in the DPM TechCenter Library (http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=184254).
DPM 2010 MOM Pack (English Only) is available for download
DPM 2010 MOM Pack (English Only) is now available for download http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=32077d99-618f-43d0-843d-4ba4f8019f84&displaylang=en
SQL 2008 SP2 or SP3 is now supported as DPM 2010 backendPraveen T [MSFT] Wednesday, February 09, 2011 11:25 AM
The SQL backend for DPM 2010 server can now be on SQL 2008 Sp2 or SP3 version. If you have a remote SQL backend, it can also be upgraded to SQL 2008 SP2 or SP3. Both the configurations are fully supported.
NEW DPM 2010 and DPM 2012 updates are now available for download.Mike JacquetMicrosoft EmployeeWednesday, July 25, 2012 10:12 PM
New rollup fixes are now available for download.
DPM 2010 3.0.8195.0
Description of hotfix rollup package 7 for System Center Data Protection Manager 2010
QFE Rollup Package 7 for System Center Data Protection Manager 2010
DPM 2012 4.0.1920.0
Description of Update Rollup 3 for System Center 2012
DPM 2012 support for Windows Server 2012Mike JacquetMicrosoft EmployeeThursday, October 04, 2012 9:57 PM
System Center DPM 2012 is not supported running on Windows Server 2012 until we release System Center SP1 later this year. We have had reports of DPM 2012 console crashes when navigating to the recovery tab if DPM 2012 is installed on Windows server 2012. This issue is fixed in SP1.
If you are already in this condition, I recommend you backup the DPMDB, rebuild the DPM server using Windows 2008 R2 install DPM 2012, then restore your current database. The process is explained in the below technet article.
Recovering DPM servers
We also do not support protecting Windows Server 2012 using SCS DPM 2012 until after SC SP1 is released. Please do not expect any support for DPM 2012 running on Windows Server 2012, or issues while protecting data sources in Windows Server 2012.
Filtering and SortingUse these options to narrow down the question and discussion list.
- 244291DJITS Saturday, October 27, 2012 9:43 AM
- 03687Mike JacquetMicrosoft EmployeeFriday, March 16, 2012 8:26 PM
- 03506Mike JacquetMicrosoft EmployeeFriday, February 10, 2012 1:28 AM
- 210269Praveen T [MSFT] Thursday, May 13, 2010 7:22 PM
- 020John Grenfell 4 hours 58 minutes ago
- 021Travis Grogan 4 hours 59 minutes ago
- 026Chirashi 6 hours 1 minutes ago
- 445CarlynPhotography.com Monday, May 20, 2013 4:12 PM
- 028RyanSS91 10 hours 46 minutes ago
- 026Kevin_Lane 14 hours 57 minutes ago
- 345Kevin_Lane Monday, May 20, 2013 2:43 PM
- 044Jimmy Anderson 88 Sunday, May 19, 2013 2:56 PM
- 4126tallcann Thursday, May 02, 2013 9:54 PM
- 1120helen_007 Friday, May 17, 2013 6:44 AM
- 85666AlperOZ Monday, December 20, 2010 8:19 AM
- 470SMM IT Director Thursday, May 16, 2013 6:11 PM
- 379Ivarson Wednesday, May 15, 2013 9:53 AM
- 52143anthonymeluso Wednesday, April 18, 2012 1:39 PM
- 287Guntars Tuesday, May 14, 2013 5:16 PM
- 055兰云涵 Friday, May 17, 2013 2:04 AM
- 266Jackson4534 Thursday, May 16, 2013 3:59 AM
- 461CarlynPhotography.com Wednesday, May 15, 2013 8:06 PM
- 357Mari_o Wednesday, May 15, 2013 11:17 AM
- 059NTW IT Wednesday, May 15, 2013 12:05 PM