none
Recovery of corrupt/lost .ndf file. No backup of database

Question

• Hi,

Firstly, I am no database expert, no pardon any idiocy...

I noticed that my database was no longer working and upon investigation noted that three .ndf files were missing. These files do not exists on the hard-drive anymore and I do not have any database backups that can be recovered.

Is there any way... and I mean ANY WAY that I can still recover the data. The database has a lot of .ndf files and I suspect the missing files range between 4Gb and 18Gb each.

Please, I really need to recover the database, or at least only loose a few weeks of data and not the entire database.

Regards,

Barend

Wednesday, August 21, 2013 1:19 PM

Answers

• If you have no backup and the files are gone from the drive, there is nothing you can do.  You might be able to send your drive to a data recovery service and see if they can recover anything.

Wednesday, August 21, 2013 1:26 PM
  • Barend,

Is there no way in recreating dummy files in the place of these files, allbeit loosing some data?

At this point, you're walking into advanced recovery techniques - and I mean this in a way of getting any data from the database that *may* still be there and accessible. This is beyond the scope of simple forum posts, you'll want to contact someone in the industry who has the expertise to deal with this. I will warn you, though, there is a chance (depending on database structure, that little to no data could be recovered from the files left in the database.

-Sean

Sean Gallardy | Blog | Twitter

Thursday, August 22, 2013 11:42 PM

All replies

• If you have no backup and the files are gone from the drive, there is nothing you can do.  You might be able to send your drive to a data recovery service and see if they can recover anything.

• Hello Barend,

If you don't have a backup, then you have a big problem.

First option, try to "undelete" the files on OS file level, may you can get them back that way.

There are some tools for undelete available, or see Recover a file that was accidentally deleted

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

• Hi,

Firstly, I am no database expert, no pardon any idiocy...

I noticed that my database was no longer working and upon investigation noted that three .ndf files were missing. These files do not exists on the hard-drive anymore and I do not have any database backups that can be recovered.

Is there any way... and I mean ANY WAY that I can still recover the data. The database has a lot of .ndf files and I suspect the missing files range between 4Gb and 18Gb each.

Please, I really need to recover the database, or at least only loose a few weeks of data and not the entire database.

Regards,

Barend

Hello Barend,

Tom and Olaf have given you clear picture of what you should do/can be done.You should also try to find who/what deleted your ndf files this seems strange to me,corruption of DB is thing you can believe but ndf files getting deleted is strange (unless you know the reason) .If DB is in use you cannot delete MDF/NDF files

Please mark this reply as the answer or vote as helpful, as appropriate, to make it useful for other readers

Wednesday, August 21, 2013 2:49 PM
  • If DB is in use you cannot delete MDF/NDF files

Agree with Shanky, this can only happen if the database is closed (AutoClose property set to "Yes") or the SQL Server service is stopped.

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

Wednesday, August 21, 2013 3:14 PM
  • The PC sits remotely so gathering information of that nature will be very difficult. I tried using Recuva but it could not locate the lost files in the directory.If you know of anything better please let me know, will try that as well.

If the "You might be able to send your drive to a data recovery service and see if they can recover anything." option is possible I will definitely look into it. Only problem is the PC is in another country. Never thought three files in could affect the database this much.

Is there no way in recreating dummy files in the place of these files, allbeit loosing some data?

Thanks for all the replies so far.

Thursday, August 22, 2013 6:13 AM
  • Barend,

At this point, you're walking into advanced recovery techniques - and I mean this in a way of getting any data from the database that *may* still be there and accessible. This is beyond the scope of simple forum posts, you'll want to contact someone in the industry who has the expertise to deal with this. I will warn you, though, there is a chance (depending on database structure, that little to no data could be recovered from the files left in the database.

-Sean

Sean Gallardy | Blog | Twitter

Thursday, August 22, 2013 11:42 PM