none
Prevent creation child object SPC "windows virtual machine"

Question

• The creation of the SPC "Windows Virtual Machine" is causing problems for AD operations.  Computers with this child SPC object cannot be deleted using automated scripts and this is causing workflow problems where we are using Hyper-V to stage sample client OS computers.

Is there a way to prevent or stop Hyper-V from making that SPC object for client OSes?  I would like to make it so that the Client OSes on a particular Hyper-V host do not create extra SPC objects in AD.  This way I don't have to re-write all my scripts and services that Delete computer accounts from AD.  When computer objects have child objects, I think they become containers in the eyes of AD and so cannot be deleted using AD calls that work fine on computer objects that do not have children. 

Monday, January 13, 2014 3:41 PM

All replies

• Hi ,

Thank you for posting your issue in the forum.
    I am trying to involve someone familiar with this topic to further look at this issue. There might be some time delay. Appreciate your patience.

Thank you for your understanding and support.

Best regards
    Elton Ji

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time.
    Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Wednesday, January 15, 2014 3:50 PM
  • Hi Toddmiller,

Before go any further, please confirm whether you mean SPC ="Service-Connection-Point"?

If yes, please refer to the below information to get more information about it:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc961733.aspx

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc725573.aspx

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc726170(v=ws.10).aspx

Hope this helpful.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. 

Monday, January 20, 2014 8:05 AM
  • Hi,

How are things going on your end?

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. 

Friday, January 31, 2014 3:24 AM
  • Sorry,  yes.  This is what I am talking about.  When I install Windows 7 as a Hyper-V client and join it to the domain, then computer object in AD gets created with an additional SCP child object of "Windows Virtual Machine."  This was added, I assume, to make it easy to search for and find virtual machines in AD.  I would like to disable this feature.

The problem is that tools that delete computers from AD, like webservices or other AD tools, display an error or a confirmation block when you attempt to delete this computer object from AD.  This is because you are trying to delete a computer that is not empty, but has an extra SPC object attached to it.

This causes massive scripting and workflow problems because any attempt to delete these computer objects for Hyper-V clients must be done manually.  This involves finding an AD admin who can delete the object since the automated scripts will not delete non-empty computer objects.  "Real" computer objects do not have any trouble being deleted from AD, but virtual computers hosted on Hyper-V cannot be deleted except by a manual process.

The links you sent are helpful at explaining what an SPC is, but that is not the issue.  I'd like to know how I prevent Hyper-V from adding an SCP "Windows Virtual Machine" to the computer object when it joins a domain.

Monday, February 03, 2014 8:33 PM
  • Hi ToddMiller,

I think this issue should be sumit to Activate Directory forum:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/home?forum=winserverDS

I think you wil get a better solution and dedicate support.

Hope this helpful.

Tuesday, February 25, 2014 9:33 AM