none
Using USMT with computer replace scenario

Question

• Hi all,

is there a possibilty to use USMT in a computer replace (to bare metal machine) scenario (without MDT). I know that you need to make a computer association first, but that means that i first need to install the new machine so i can make this association. Is there another way to accomplish this? At the moment i got USMT working only in a refresh scenario..

Regards,

Remy

Tuesday, July 30, 2013 6:57 AM

All replies

• In order to carry out a computer replace (side by side migration) using ConfigMgr and USMT you have to create a computer association first. That's just the way it works. However you don't have to build the new machine first (it would be easier if you did though). If you know the MAC address you can import this to ConfigMgr and then create the computer association.

Gerry Hampson | Blog: www.gerryhampsoncm.blogspot.ie | LinkedIn: Gerry Hampson | Twitter: @gerryhampson

Tuesday, July 30, 2013 7:38 AM
  • In order to carry out a computer replace (side by side migration) using ConfigMgr and USMT you have to create a computer association first. That's just the way it works. However you don't have to build the new machine first (it would be easier if you did though). If you know the MAC address you can import this to ConfigMgr and then create the computer association.

Gerry Hampson | Blog: www.gerryhampsoncm.blogspot.ie | LinkedIn: Gerry Hampson | Twitter: @gerryhampson

Thanks for the reply Gerry. Importing the computer via MAC address would be an option! When i do build the new machine first, do i have to create a seperate task sequence to load the USMT settings from the old machine?
    Tuesday, July 30, 2013 11:51 AM
  • No, same task sequence. The computer association process is also the same. The only difference is that in one case the target is a newly built client, in the other case it is just an imported MAC address.

Tuesday, July 30, 2013 12:04 PM
  • But my task sequence contains a operating system install. If i run this one on the old computer it will be reinstalled? I only want to capture data on the old one and use the captured data on the new computer.

Tuesday, July 30, 2013 2:03 PM
  • You can have a couple of small task sequences to use outside of a full OS deployment.

Task Sequence: "Client Replace - Capture User Settings and Data"

- Request State Store

- Capture User State

- Release State Store

Task Sequence: "Client Replace - Restore User Settings and Data"

- Request State Store

- Restore User State

- Release State Store

Customise the options for each step as you see fit.

Andy

My Personal Blog: http://madluka.wordpress.com

Tuesday, July 30, 2013 2:11 PM
  • Are you asking if you need a different task sequence than the one you used for refresh - yes, you do.

Madluka has described it.

Tuesday, July 30, 2013 2:23 PM
  • Thanks guys

Tuesday, July 30, 2013 2:25 PM