none
Removing a role from a Hyper-V Host machine

Question

• I have a Dell PowerEdge R620 server that is configured as a Hyper-V host machine.  It is hosting 5 virtual servers.  However, I had initially set this server up without virtualization, just a physical server with many roles configured:

DHCP, DNS, GC, File and Print server.

I know this is not recommended by Microsoft, but it worked well for us.  I have recently however, purchased more licensing Installed Hyper-V (GUI install) and set up 5 new virtual servers on this machine.  I now have all of the required roles set up across my VM's. 

I stripped all of the roles from my Hyper-V host (A Microsoft reccomends.)  So the only roles installed on my host are Hyper-V and File and Storage Services.

My question is, Can I remove the File and Storage Services role from the Host?  Or will this cause problems with my VM's?

Thanks in advance.

Nate

Wednesday, September 18, 2013 11:36 AM

Answers

All replies

• Nate

Wednesday, September 18, 2013 11:41 AM
  • Hi

I would not see why it would cause problem. From there http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc731898.aspx I don't see any roles dependancy.

Thanks

MCP | MCTS - Exchange 2007, Configuring | Member of TechNet Wiki Community Council | French Moderator on TechNet Wiki (Translation Widget)

Thursday, September 19, 2013 1:11 AM
  • Thanks Yagmoth555,

I'm going to give it a try this weekend.  I'll let you know how it works out.

Nate

Thursday, September 19, 2013 11:05 AM
  • Thanks Yagmoth555,

I'm going to give it a try this weekend.  I'll let you know how it works out.

Nate

Well, I decided to try it a bit early but no luck.  Below is a screenshot of an error message that I got when I tried to uncheck the File and Storage Services Role.  Has anyone seen this before?

Nate

Thursday, September 19, 2013 5:34 PM
  • Hi

If you share no volume on the server, my only concern would be what kind of storage do you use ?

A iSCSI volume ?, did you created a storage pool ?(http://www.windowsnetworking.com/articles-tutorials/windows-server-2012/Getting-Used-Using-Windows-Storage-Spaces-Part1.html) ?

If it's the case that you use a special form of storage you will have to keep the role like that. In case you get audited they will not harm if they see the role getting used for your storage and not to share any files. (as for role on the host it's for a licensing issue too)

For sure, I forget to told, I still recommend you a physical server for a backup DC|GC. Why ? Because in lab I was testing a cluster of hyper-v, and *if* you loose the DC or it come offline, you can't access any Hyper-V/Clustering console. So you are *really* in bad shape. In my case I lost a server due to maintenance and that was really a pain to get back, so in lab I put those role too into a simple physical workstation to have a backup in case of a crash.

Thanks

MCP | MCTS - Exchange 2007, Configuring | Member of TechNet Wiki Community Council | French Moderator on TechNet Wiki (Translation Widget)

Friday, September 20, 2013 1:04 AM
  • Yagmoth555,

I do not have any shares on this Host machine.  This machine does host other Virtual machines that do have shares and are set up as File servers.  This machine is a Dell PowerEdge R620 with (6) 10k RPM SAS HDD's running in a RAID 5 configuration. The Host machine is configured with an OS partition (C:) and a storage partition (E:).  All of my virtual disks and hyper-V configuration files are stored on (E:). 

So I do have the File and Storage Services Role installed on some of the other Virtual machines.  I was just trying to figure out if I needed it on the host or not.

And yes, I do have another physical box that is configured as a DC/GC/DHCP/DNS.

Nate

Friday, September 20, 2013 10:30 AM
  • In my case it was not needed.. but I fear something else use the role. As it don't display that Hyper-V need it, but it can't be removed. (another program/driver installed that need that ?)

Like I told earlier, my biggest concern about the role behind there is for a licensing issue, not functional issue. Check blogs like there; Licensing Windows Server in a Virtual Environment

".. If you are using your maximum ‘free allowance’ of Windows Server VMs on a host (1 in this case), you must use the host machine to purely manage the virtual machines running on it, and nothing else."

And the official licensing term told the same, you can use the free license term only if your host is used purelly for the Hyper-V.

Monday, September 23, 2013 1:31 AM